1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Question about hauling a truck home.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about hauling a truck home.

This question is for some of you guys that have hauled a truck a long distance. I bought this 54 in Imperial Nebraska and plan on going back up in July and hauling it home on a trailer. What I was wondering is do I have to stop at the weigh stations along the interstate? I will be going through about 7 states.

I picked this truck up for about what it would cost to buy that round radio! It is original 6 volts and runs. I'm not sure what motor that is. The VIN is F10V4K*****. Trans is a 4 SYN Geared 4.27, Color: R and the production code is 12DND2181D. It even has a 110volt warmer of some kind in the heater hose. LOL

Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the vehicle your hauling it back with isn't plated as a commercial vehicle is it ? if it's not just keep truckin' and don't let the grass grow under your feet around the ticket happy folks in them chicken coops !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then just take a detour to my corn field and drop it in my driveway will ya ............ thanx !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Thanks 55 f350! Nope its just my personal truck and trailer. So I guess I'm good to go!
LOL I will go through IL. but just the southwest corner. Wish I had time to make it to Springfield, I'd stop by and say howdy!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Just make sure it is tied down well, nothing flapping or dragging and keep on moving. Looks like a good find. The crossover pipe and stock air cleaner tells me no one tried to get too much more out of the Y block.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I'm sure the laws vary from state to state, but my understanding is (at least in my neck of the woods) weigh stations are for commercial rigs transporting cargo for hire over 18,000 GVW. No one is going to bother a guy in a pickup pulling a car hauler trailer. That's no different than a family with a travel trailer, really. You should be way under 10,000 lbs.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Congrats on the truck. I have owned a specialty transport company for years and had the pleasure of hauling many cars and trucks to their new owners. I just wanted to mention a few things that many people forget or don't know.

Every state is different. Just keep an eye out when approaching weigh stations. As a NON-Commercial vehicle you SHOULDN'T be subject to anything other than standard motor vehicle laws, HOWEVER, some states now are requiring non-commercial vehicles towing a trailer to submit to inspection at weigh stations. I personally would never run a weigh station if it is clearly posted that you should drive in. The nice thing is most people at the weigh station will just roll their eyes and give you the green light (they have better things to do). My buddy was using a personal vehicle towing a trailer and went past a weigh station in Colorado. It cost him $500 in fines. Sure, I see people go by all the time, it's just that one time that nicks ya. If the sign says pull in, pull in.

Things I always do when towing anything:

Make sure your safety chains are cross when attached (many states now require them crossed)
Make sure your lights works and are CLEANED OFF.
Never have ANY business-type lettering/phone numbers displayed (either on the tow vehicle, trailer or vehicle on the trailer). What one state may let go another state may consider a commercial vehicle. I had a 49 Ford on the trailer one time and it had old hand lettering on the door showing a business name. The cop wrote me for towing a commercial vehicle without proper permits.
Strap down the front AND REAR axle. Remember axles (and other parts) may not be attached as they once were.
Make sure NOTHING is dragging from the trailer. Nothing catches someone attention like a dragging strap.
TIE DOWN THE HOOD!!!!! TIE DOWN THE DOORS!!!! And check the roof. I had a roof come off one night in the middle of Iowa.
HAVE fun, enjoy the stares and the thumbs up and be safe.

One last thing that no one thinks about. Do a once over the truck before driving off and make sure there are no rats, snakes, spiders, hornets nests, etc in the truck. I like to throw an insect fogger inside the truck before driving off and let it fumigate well driving. Many a time did I find dead snakes, spiders and hornets in the vehicle when I got home. Especially if its sat in the weeds for a long time.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:40 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i'll second the motion on the critters . drug one back from up by chi-town once that had been sitting in a field . didn't hear or see a thing while loading and securing it , but i'll be darned if when me and the son in law hit the big road we didn't have a bunch of meece's jumping outta it and rolling all over the road .......................

Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Good find.
If you need a place to stay on the drive. I'm in Central MO on Hwy 50, just south of 70.
Shoot, I could even save you a bunch of gas money. Just leave the truck and trailer with me.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Remember when going through Illinois that if you wieght over 8000 lbs the speed limit is 55 mph. They won't forget......

jim

Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Thanks for all the good information guys, Didn't think about tying the hood and doors down. Also didn't know about the 55mph in Illinois. Should just clip the corner of the state. Did think about the critters and how to get rid of them. I opened the glovebox and a couple of Cigars had been chewed up and evidence of mice all in the glovebox. I'll let ya know how it goes, suppose to go back up the first week of July and pick it up.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
One more tip, if there is any debris like old hardware, chunks of mud, take it off. I wouldn't want to be the guy following you down the interstate and have all that junk blowing off onto me. As teardropty mentioned, check all the parts for anything that has the slightest chances of falling off. Nothing like have a 3/8" bolt flying off and hitting a car, for the guy behind it would be like a bullet hitting at 60mph, a car coming in the other direction it'd be like 120mph.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Here's one more tip: Tie it down with 4 chains - one in each corner. That's the law in some states. There's a popular local salvage yard that had a line of trucks and trailers out of the gate and up the street every day when the price of scrap steel was through the roof last year. A DOT cop came by a few times and wrote $500 tickets to everybody in line who only had two chains.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:15 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
Here's one more tip: Tie it down with 4 chains - one in each corner. That's the law in some states. There's a popular local salvage yard that had a line of trucks and trailers out of the gate and up the street every day when the price of scrap steel was through the roof last year. A DOT cop came by a few times and wrote $500 tickets to everybody in line who only had two chains.
I've always have used only two chains, I've even driven through IN a few times, thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
52 5 star
Senior User
Yes check for loose things that can fly off. I had a truck in front of me that did not have his bed liner screwed in and it flew out like a wall and took me off my new harley. It was not fun sliding down the freeway in the fast lane.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
the speed limit is 65 period anymore irregardless of the weight as far as i know now jim ....... my ih wieghs 20,000 , the tractor trailer that i drove for another contractor a few nights ago a lot more and i was moving along at 65 as i wanted to get back home and get some sleep . last car me and jay picked up was the 52 , an extra flatty and trans and all sorts of parts , his 3/4 ton diesel more door dodge and a very heavy car trailer at 65 and noone even glanced at us ......................

Quick Reply: Question about hauling a truck home.