Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Freshman User

Falconscheduler is starting off with a positive reputation.
oh and change the gear oil after break in also
Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Senior User

Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconscheduler View Post
I'm sure you know this but I didn't notice it mentioned so I thought I'd throw my 2 pennies in as gears are a big investment....Make sure you let your new gear set break in before towing. I have an F-150 that I put 4.56's in and also a good friend of mine with a V-10 Superduty that put 4.56's in his...we both ran them at least 500 miles as recomended not only by the gear manufacturer but the mechanics who did our gear swaps. I believe even RR & pinnion recommends short trips for the first 500 to let gears heat and cool to properly set. You will love how it tows, believe me! Enjoy!
Glad you jumped in! I've read about a break-in period and heat cycles to properly set the gears. However, I've heard the other side that says if it's installed properly it doesn't matter! I have plans this weekend to use the truck daily and considering driving it to work next week. I wasn't sure what to believe but wanted to error on the safe side. Thanks again for reinforcing the need to break-in the gears. I can't wait to tow next weekend, I hope I observe the same results you've seen.

2000 XLT F350 4x4 V10 CC SB 4.56LS, 06 E-series long block swap - 285/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T - Red-Head Steering Box - 5-Star Tuning - Warn Hubs - 05 heated tow mirrors - 2010 tailgate - 2007 front end conversion w/headlight relay's - Zone Off-Road Leveling kit - Autometer GS gauges - Ride Rite air bags - F650 dash w/uplifter switches -
Old 05-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Freshman User

Falconscheduler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Pipeline View Post
Glad you jumped in! I've read about a break-in period and heat cycles to properly set the gears. However, I've heard the other side that says if it's installed properly it doesn't matter! I have plans this weekend to use the truck daily and considering driving it to work next week. I wasn't sure what to believe but wanted to error on the safe side. Thanks again for reinforcing the need to break-in the gears. I can't wait to tow next weekend, I hope I observe the same results you've seen.
No problem, I figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out there....I had not done a gear set myself so I stayed on the safe side and went with what my guy who did the gears said, even changed the oil after the first 500....no issues with the gears since and that was done in 2006 and about 30,000 miles ago. Ya you should be happy, both my (03) F-150 and buddy's (01) V-10 superduty hold OD a lot longer on a hill while towing....both are 4x4 crew cabs with 33's on mine and 35in tires on his.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Postmaster

Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
I'm real interested in how it preforms towing for you. I'm running the same tire size and if I re-geared it would be 4.56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Holy rusty undercarrige batman. I take it you bought the truck up north.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton View Post
I thought the same thing as dkf did when I saw the pics.
If you thought his is bad I don't want to show you what my truck looks like. I thought Mr-Pipeline's was pretty mild.

Red Head Steering gear box installation
Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Senior User

p-nut has a good reputation on FTE.p-nut has a good reputation on FTE.
I went with 4.88 in mine. At 55 mph and with 35" tires the engine turns 1900 rpm and holds od over pretty much any hills around here while towing my 10k TT. I also have the 275 hp v10 with some mods that are in my signature. I can say with 100% truth that I did see a large mpg increase unloaded. I'm in the process of getting a towing mpg record going. Haven't had but 3 tanks of fuel through it so far.

If you decide to tackle the job yourself I can tell you that the job isn't hard, just time consuming and sometimes irritating. The rear axle has so much carrier preload that it's difficult to remove several times. I actually broke a factory shim while reinstalling once. The fronts are more of a pain than anything. To save time remove the tire, then the two bolts securing the caliper to the knuckle and remove the caliper with the pads as a unit along with the disk. Then remove the four bolts securing the unit bearing to the knuckle and remove the bearing, hub and axle shaft as a unit. It's heavy but this saves you a lot of time.

I'm having a problem where the front gears are noisy only on coasting. My drive side pattern is perfect but the coast side rides on the heel of the ring gear. I must put more shim under the pinion race to help correct this and I may not be able to cure it all of the way.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:08 AM
Postmaster

spinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Guys, I picked up my V-10 after having my 4.56 Yukon gears installed replacing my stock 3.73, with 285/75/16 tires, at a local shop. I donít have any pictures of the work being done, however I did snap a few pictures of the parts and the new differential cover after everything was buttoned up, Iíll post tonight. I purchased everything from Randyís Ring and PinionÖthey seemed to be the most knowledgeable and customer oriented. I called a few others parts suppliers but didnít get a warm fuzzy from any of them. One of the issues that RRP was very helpful on identifying what clutch pack I needed to rebuild my limited slip differential. Once we narrowed it down to two optionsÖthey sent one and committed to overnight the other pack if it was incorrect, they/we guess correctly. While it was in the shop I contacted Mike with 5-Star Tuning to get updated tunes to accommodate the new gear ratio. As always, they were quick to respond and provided the new/updated tunes, great service!

I donít have a lot of feedback to share as Iíve only driven it 3 times for a total of 20 miles. However, the increased torque is very noticeable! I really like the way it holds the RPM after it shifts and immediately starts pulling the next gear. At highway speed my RPM are running 2500 at 70 mph. This is an increase of approximately 500 RPM when compared to the 3.73 gears. I really like the way the truck runs at this RPM, it should allow me to tow in O/D without much trouble. Iím planning to tow on Memorial weekend to Taos New Mexico...that should be a good test! Iíll get a few pictures up later tonight.
please post your towing impressions. i need to do (i have 3:73)this just trying to scrape up the cash. my camper is about 9000lbs. + 5 of us in the cab and the bed is loaded with stuff. i'm usually around 18,000 lbs. gross combo.
reps were just sent for your gauge install. so i'll get you later.

2008 lariet 18" wheels*s&b air filter*5 star x2 tuner*front hidden hitch*6.0 trans cooler*autometer trans temp gauge*superlift leveling kit*rear firestone airbags*ARE cap*unity pillar spotlight
Old 05-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Senior User

Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinella View Post
please post your towing impressions. i need to do (i have 3:73)this just trying to scrape up the cash. my camper is about 9000lbs. + 5 of us in the cab and the bed is loaded with stuff. i'm usually around 18,000 lbs. gross combo.
reps were just sent for your gauge install. so i'll get you later.
Will do...I should have an update posted Sunday evening or Monday sometime. A fuel mileage update could be difficult because I can't keep from hot rodding around town. If you can perform the install yourself you can save almost 50% of the total cost of the upgrade. I didn't have the tools or anyone around that had installed gears before or I would have attempted it myself. I just didn't want to take the risk. There's several FTE members in your area maybe some of them could help with the install?

2000 XLT F350 4x4 V10 CC SB 4.56LS, 06 E-series long block swap - 285/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T - Red-Head Steering Box - 5-Star Tuning - Warn Hubs - 05 heated tow mirrors - 2010 tailgate - 2007 front end conversion w/headlight relay's - Zone Off-Road Leveling kit - Autometer GS gauges - Ride Rite air bags - F650 dash w/uplifter switches -
Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Freshman User

kparret is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used Randy's Ring & Pinion mostly because their shop is just north of me in Everett, WA. I had 4.30's put in both front and rear to replace my 3.73's. They were effecient and honest and finished the job the same day. They stressed the break-in period, especially since my main reason for changing them out was for towing my 5ver (9300lbs.). I had them use Yukon parts and I've got about 1K on the gearset. They aren't any louder on the road than stock was. The only thing I really want yet is a tune from 5 Star.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Senior User

bsfarmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Will do...I should have an update posted Sunday evening or Monday sometime. A fuel mileage update could be difficult because I can't keep from hot rodding around town. If you can perform the install yourself you can save almost 50% of the total cost of the upgrade. I didn't have the tools or anyone around that had installed gears before or I would have attempted it myself. I just didn't want to take the risk. There's several FTE members in your area maybe some of them could help with the install?
I put 4.56's in my F250 with a 5.4L and didn't really notice an increase in MPG, but actually it stays 10-12 no matter if I'm pulling a trailer, cruising, or city driving. I turn 2500rpm at around 60mph, but it doesn't drink the fuel like it did with the 3.73 gears struggling to stay up to speed.

Glad you like the gears, I'm 100% satisfied with mine.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Will do...I should have an update posted Sunday evening or Monday sometime.
I've been out of town for a couple weeks, so I completely missed this thread. I can't wait to hear your tow results, not because I can ever afford new gears, but because I love hearing how much other guys love these trucks. I think you are going to be ecstatic!

By the way, your "Johnny Cash Superduty" is my truck's HERO!!

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 05-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Postmaster

Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
I'm excited to hear as well. I towed a 16ft enclosed trailer about 400 miles yesterday while moving my little brother (I did 3000 miles earlier this year helping my older brother move towing an equipment trailer with his truck on it) and I was thinking the whole time how 4.56 would be great to have. I pretty sure it would have helped MPG. I notice about 1/2 of the downshift from OD to 3rd could have been avoided and probably 3/4 of the shifts down to 2nd could have done with 3rd.

Of course this was just guessing at the RPM improvements with those gears but many times I was just on the edge of needing to needing to downshift.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Elder User

Bbasso is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the E350 with V10 and 373 rear...
I only have the tune from Mike/ 5 Star (93 octane tow tune) and easily tow my 7500lbs TT while carring about 800-900 inside the van. once in a while it will drop down to the next gear for a hill but otherwise chugs along at 1800rpm. Can't say much for the 9mpg towing tho...
Think the gear change would help me get better MPGs?
2003 E350 PSD
Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster-4 View Post
I'm excited to hear as well. I towed a 16ft enclosed trailer about 400 miles yesterday while moving my little brother (I did 3000 miles earlier this year helping my older brother move towing an equipment trailer with his truck on it) and I was thinking the whole time how 4.56 would be great to have. I pretty sure it would have helped MPG. I notice about 1/2 of the downshift from OD to 3rd could have been avoided and probably 3/4 of the shifts down to 2nd could have done with 3rd.

Of course this was just guessing at the RPM improvements with those gears but many times I was just on the edge of needing to needing to downshift.
UPDATE:

My first towing trip with 4.56 gears 5-Star 87 performance tune.
I successfully completed my trip From Lubbock Texas to Toas New Mexico via route 518 over the mountains. We camped near Tres Ritoes and traveled to Toas for Whitewater rafting. The trip included an elevation gain of over 6000 ft. climbing over a 9,300 foot pass. The trip covered 800 miles all towing a 6,500 lbs bumper pull trailer except for 65 miles to the rafting departure. The average fuel mileage for the round trip was 9.1 mpg. This included a 35 mph headwind for the first 150 miles of the trip and most of the elevation gain on the last 1/3 of the trip. I also encountered a headwind on the return trip which hurt the overall mileage. The good news is the worst mileage was 7.9 mpg on the last 1/3 of the trip. I was also pleased with a average of 8.0 in the 35 mph head wind at the beginning of the trip. I pulled the same trailer a few months ago in a similar head wind with my 3.73 and averaged 6.5 mpg running in 3rd lugging the engine to hold 50 mph thinking I should drop to 2nd. With the 4.56 I was able to hold O/D at 62 mph and 2,300 rpm. If I encountered a small hill (with 35 mph wind) it would drop out of O/D and begin pulling hard at 3,000 rpm. The gears are GREAT. I only dropped into 2nd once...and it was at the top of the mountain pass where speed was limited to 40 mph so I couldn't keep up the speed/rpm's. This gear ratio/tire combo works GREAT for towing! If you exclusively used your V10 for towing maybe 4.88 could be considered. I'll be sure to post some unloaded mileage numbers for comparision. I'll also use the 91 tow tune on the next trip to see what that does on mileage and performance. Hope this helps and I can answer any questions you guys have.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 AM
Postmaster

spinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to behold
thanks...that will make my decision easier to make.

2008 lariet 18" wheels*s&b air filter*5 star x2 tuner*front hidden hitch*6.0 trans cooler*autometer trans temp gauge*superlift leveling kit*rear firestone airbags*ARE cap*unity pillar spotlight
Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Postmaster

Awesome report! I'd rep you but I got to spread the love first.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM