Emergency help 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 PM
diamondjranch
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Emergency help 4.6

I have a 4.6 in a 95 Crown Vic which I just had to repair the leaking aluminum intake. I got everything put back together, and now it won't start. Cranks fine, but won't do anything else. AFAIK, I have everything hooked back up just the way it was before. It has plenty of pressure at the fuel rails. Have to get a noid light set and a spark tester tomorrow to see if the injectors are firing and that there is spark. Is there anything else I can check that I might be overlooking???? This is the most in-depth I've ever been into a fuel injected vehicle; all the sensors and everything had me scratching my head a lot. This is my daily driver (60 mi roundtrip for work), and my mom (that I no longer live with) needs her SUV back that I've been using. Please help.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Cory281
Senior User
Make sure all of your wiring is hooked up right.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Huntersbo
Elder User
Make sure the intake manafold is properly sealed. Once I had trouble starting a motor because the intake-manafold had a hole on the side of it for an emission control device which was not pertinent to my vehicle. I had to plug the hole and then the engine would start.

Another problem I have had is exhaust seal. This has interfeared with starting for me too.

Are you getting sufficient spark to the cylinders when they want it?

If all the above are present you should be able to get some combustion with starting fluid and a cup of gasoline down the intake. At least my throtel is centrally located.

If combustion happens with the above then you are left with fuel injection.

Do you have a shop manual for a 4.6L?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the connector on the crank position sensor.
JL

Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
diamondjranch
Senior User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
Check the connector on the crank position sensor.
I don't have my manual in front of me, and I want to have all the info before I go back to work on it. Where is the crank sensor located? I don't remember disconnecting that one, but I may have knocked it loose during removal or installation. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by diamondjranch
I don't have my manual in front of me, and I want to have all the info before I go back to work on it. Where is the crank sensor located? I don't remember disconnecting that one, but I may have knocked it loose during removal or installation. Thanks.
Down low next to the A/C compressor. It's nearly impossible to remove the wiring harness without disturbing it, and over time the connectors get brittle and that one is commonly broken when servicing the upper end of the engine.
No CKP signal=no start.
JL