Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

3208 smoke problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM
jmonroe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3208 smoke problem

I just got a new clutch in my F7000 so I could get it emission tested and registered. I failed emissions miserbly due to high smoke. Does anyone know what the cause could be? It's a non-turbo 3208 with about 300,000 miles. Smoke is primarily white. I'm going to try fresh fuel (no idea the age of the fuel in the tank) and a fuel filter. I haven't driven it enough to know if it's going through oil.

Thanks,
-Joel

Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
It coould be pump timing, the way i understand it on these critters pump timing is the cause, we had a 75c8000 that was a fire truck turned single axle tractor that smoked bad when cold and black when loaded, IIRC there was a gear that had to get knocked off and adjusted.
Found this on another site

The Timing is set by "pin timing" the pump using a pin in the pump camshaft and a 5/16" bolt threaded into the engine camshaft...if you are having white smoke check the pin timing. Sometimes during installation of the pump the drive gear can slip and you will need to loosen and retorque the bolt/drive gear after installing the pin and bolt.

So, you have to knock the gear off and then set the pin timing and lastly torque the bolt down to tighten the gear,
Here is some pics, only go to step 6. Leave the manifold andlines and such on
FUEL INJECTION PUMP HOUSING AND GOVERNOR DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY

Old 05-18-2011, 01:49 PM
turbodriz
New User
its also very important that you state at what operating tempature your getting white smoke at. If the truck is blowing white smoke at normal operating tempature , it could be a bad headgasket,which would leave you with poor cylinder compression. I am pretty sure that at that point your spitting out alot of unburnt fuel.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 PM
jmonroe
New User
It was smoking at all temperatures. I drove it for about 45 minutes prior to e-test, but it really didn't seem to change. I know the head gaskets were replaced a couple years ago. Hopefully it hasn't lost one again.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Low fuel pressure or low timing.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM
turbodriz
New User
Well I guess if your not losing any antifreeze that is not the problem

Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 AM
rummur s.c.
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel timing can definitely cause a smokey engine. Compression check would be high on the list of things to do as well.

Once you know your timing is on, and the compression is there. Then you can start checking injector spray patterns.

Of course if you have old fuel, that would be a great place to start. Put some new fuel in and hope for the best.

Maybe put some thinned and filtered vegie oil in there? Does that lower emissions?

If you're feeling sneaky, rig up a simple propane injection that you can remove once you pass, I know that propane cleans up even the dirtiest diesels.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Ive seen kits for doing that on the 3208's we had two buried in he old milkhouse and one time, i think they were to reduce the cold smoke. They came from CenturyMercury Motor Freight. Their terminal was next to the freeway and when all those Kittys got woke up in the morning the dander would float accross the freeway so they were told to clean em up!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 PM
jmonroe
New User
I'll try timing it and see how that goes. Hopefully it takes care of things.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:51 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Go 2 degrees more than the factory timing spex.....It'll pep it up a little, and get a smidge better fuel economy.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Dennis/Ohio
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
Go 2 degrees more than the factory timing spex.....It'll pep it up a little, and get a smidge better fuel economy.
I assuming your figuring the 2 degrees advance on the harmonic balancer?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Yep....2 crank degrees, 4 if it's turbo, and 5 if it's a newer, higher hp turbo version.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 PM
popops75&79
Freshman User
As stated above check the timing. If your not loosing coolant, head gaskets are fine.I dont remember blown head gaskets drinking coolant, most blew out between two cylinders. If your eng still has cat pistons (n/a eng) it only has two compression rings. (Turbo has three) . New these engines smoked and used oil. Also the new low sulpher fuel is gonna be harsh on your inj. pump seals. I worked in n.j. and I know they were brutal on old diesel engines, they had to meet current emissions or take it off the road. By the way if the timing is off, you will need a special cat puller to pop the gear off to reset timing. I do have a 3208 manual here somewhere , and replaced several pumps and set timing. Good luck

Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 PM
jmonroe
New User
Well it's getting better. Changed the fuel filter and put in fresh fuel. That helped a lot, but still failed the e test. I checked the timing and it was about right. I went ahead and advanced it a couple degrees. That turned the smoke from white to black and smoothed out the idle a bit. I've also added some fuel treatment. Unfortunatly, it's still smoking more than allowed. I'm planned on adding some biodiesel to the tank to see if that helps, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions.

Thanks for everything so far. It's getting better, just a little more to go.

-Joel

Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 PM
popops75&79
Freshman User
I beleive they sell some fuel addative thats supposed to help you pass emmissions, look for it at a truck stop? good luck.

Quick Reply: 3208 smoke problem