1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What would you say the selling price on this should be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
keqwow
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you say the selling price on this should be?

I am still surveying trucks for sale to get an idea of what things are selling for. This is the 1st '51 I've come across within driving distance that has the original flathead V8 in it. The owner wasn't around when I got a chance to look at it. Here is the info I have on it. According to the owner....the truck runs, but will need to be hauled away as the engine overheats because it needs two new water pumps. In the bed of the truck lies a rear end which is either the original, or a "2nd rear end" that is better for the road. The truck is a California truck originally, and the body looks pretty solid to me overall. Surprisingly so (I am used to seeing the stuff found in the fields in Upstate New York). It has a 3 speed, but it is in the floor (original?? thought they were on the column by '51). I looked at the bottom of the doors...solid. Looked in the corners of the cab...that looks solid. I did notice some cracking on the front right fender which appeared to be some filler, but from underneath the fender is solid metal...not sure if someone filled in a dent at some point?? Looks like some stuff is missing from the dash. Both doors have holes in them from someone bolting on signs over the years (not sure what kind of job it is getting these holes filled). I like the truck, but I think he is asking quite a bit too much, and I refuse to buy something that "just needs this or that" for it to run (i.e. water pumps). I want a driving project...something I can drive away with. This would be great otherwise. I know stuff sells for different prices around the country, but I am just curious what you guys think would be a fair price on this, given the above information and the photos provided. I am just curious to see how far off the sellers price is.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:24 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
that does look pretty solid, the engine is a gamble without seeing it run and doing compression checks etc. (looks clean though) but just assume it will need a rebuild going in so you dont get your hopes up.

I paid 700 for my 51 10 yrs ago and it had a hack 283 in it and the bed and a 4 fenders went in the garbage. frame, cab and bumpers is all I ended up with.

I would say 1500 would probably be a pretty decent deal 2k maybe but I am inthe dry west too. hopefully someone inyour geographic area cna give better ideas? good luck. it looks like a nice find...

later

josh

Old 05-17-2011, 03:29 PM
keqwow
New User
Dry west....ha ha. Here in upstate New York with the salt covered roads you would think they made vehicles out of sugar cubes...usually the best one can hope for is a surface that looks about like a sponge.
I won't say yet what the guy is asking...but it is WAY off from that estimate. Like I said...I think he is asking way too much...but I am just curious what folks will say. Like I said...I am still learning too.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:37 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Well, thats Why I mentioned my location since I imagine NY probably has more
Rust issues than we probably do in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Utah</st1lace></st1:State>, they do salt the roads here in winter but…
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I could be way off on my estimates too, I’m curious what others in your area have to say.
<o></o>
Here are a few examples of trucks for sale in my area, I realize they are not exactly what your looking for but some ideas.
<o></o>
<o></o>
<o></o>
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=4242727
<o></o>
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=4271229
<o></o>
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=4266636
<o></o>
<o></o>
<o></o>
later
<o></o>
Josh

Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
The opinions are gonna vary greatly. And like jmadsen said, the west coast guys will say lower than us guys back east. As far as it running but overheating, don't count on it. And the owner needs to swallow that pill. If he wants to sell a running truck, he needs to get it running and let you drive it around. Otherwise, it looks pretty good for this part of the country. The truck looks to me to be a very old attempt at a restoration. And you're right, it shouldn't have a floor shift 3 speed. I wouldn't personally go a dime over $2500.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Well, thats Why I mentioned my location since I imagine NY probably has more
Rust issues than we probably do in ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<ST1lace w:st="on">Utah</ST1lace></st1:State>, they do salt the roads here in winter but…
fficeffice" /><O></O>
I could be way off on my estimates too, I’m curious what others in your area have to say.
<O></O>
Here are a few examples of trucks for sale in my area, I realize they are not exactly what your looking for but some ideas.
<O></O>
<O></O>
<O></O>
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=4242727
<O></O>
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=4271229
<O></O>
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=4266636
<O></O>
<O></O>
<O></O>
later
<O></O>
Josh
Those three trucks would be much higher on this end of the country. But then again the economy continues to take a nose dive.

Here's a truck that a bunch of us FTE'ers saw Saturday on a trailer. But it was way overpriced IMO. It's much rougher in person.

1950 Ford truck

But it gives you an idea of the difference between the east and west.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
keqwow
New User
Here is another one right up the road from me. The body is...eh....but what I really didn't care for was the replaced engine.....transmission was replaced with an automatic....and everything inside the cab looks like a cob job with added gauges here and there. Doesn't do much for me....and I felt it too was overpriced for what it was....
1951 Ford Pick up (Green)

Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Actually, the second one is a little more in line on price IMO. I'm a flathead lover. But a lot of guys don't want that. But you said the interior is cobbed up. We'd need more pics of that one. Actually, more pics of either truck would help a lot. Especially the frame and engine.

BTW, how much does he want for that 50 coupe sitting beside it?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'd put the first one at 1500-2000; it is fairly complete, which is a big deal, it has the correct engine and a HD 3-sp or a 4-sp, has the correct front bumper (but bent), the dash is a little hacked and missing a bunch of stuff. I'd assume there is some rust in the fender extension area. But being in one piece is better than having to chase after pieces that can be hard to find. It appears to need complete rewiring too. How much work do you want to do?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:12 PM
jimprowse
Junior User
I just bought a 48 , good solid starter truck , with more rust , no engine {didn't care} and paid $1200.00 , and paid same to get it to Michigan , i'da paid $2500.00 for that one you'r looking at , good non-rusty stuff is harder , and harder to find , and it's close to home ,,,,, that's my .02 c worth ,,,,, j-p

Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I'd tell the seller; "Here's the deal. These trucks in the condition of yours is sell regularly for $1500 out west. I can buy one there and have it delivered here for another grand. Since this one is here already and you want to sell it, I'll offer you a fair price of $2500 and we all go away happy." Then look him directly in the eye and don't say another word. Period. See what he says. Let him him-and-haw, stammer and stumble and grumble, but you just stand there. Watch what happens and let us know. If he won't be reasonable at all, just turn around and walk away. Just be sure if you do this that you have cash in hand to make the trade. And find out if he has legal title to it first. If he can't provide legal documentation he's the rightful owner, take a pass. The value just got cut in half and you may be in for a large and lengthly hassle getting legal ownership.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:25 PM
keqwow
New User
$2500 might be a bit of struggle since the guy wants $6000 for that 1st one....yeah...$6000. And he feels it is a great price. I am digging the body....don't like the holes in the doors...but that isn't a big deal....the biggest deal is the fact that it is not driveable right now. For $6000 I would like to be able to drive this home....or at least drive it up onto a trailer and take it home and replace the brakes and some small things to get it at least road worthy. Am I expecting too much for that?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:31 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by keqwow
$2500 might be a bit of struggle since the guy wants $6000 for that 1st one....yeah...$6000. And he feels it is a great price. I am digging the body....don't like the holes in the doors...but that isn't a big deal....the biggest deal is the fact that it is not driveable right now. For $6000 I would like to be able to drive this home....or at least drive it up onto a trailer and take it home and replace the brakes and some small things to get it at least road worthy. Am I expecting too much for that?

HE is not going to sell it tommorrow at that price! I would hold back. Let him know your serious about the truck just not the price and leave it at that for a while, and leave him your phone number.

Like Wayne said, you can find drivable trucks out west for way less, like that 52 with a sbc in it that I posted. I bet it goes for less than 6k.

look out west, if you find something let us know and maybe some fellow FTE'rs can take a look at it?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Those little holes in the outer door skin will weld up really easy and be fine. No worries there.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 PM
jimprowse
Junior User
Way too much $$$ , for 2 little quality ,,, keep looking , there are far better trucks/deals out there , that truck needs a complete go-thru , nope , he's dreaming in technocolour at that price , . j-p

Quick Reply: What would you say the selling price on this should be?