Modular V10 (6.8l)  

supercharger or 3v?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
straightaxle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharger or 3v?

So I am sure some of you around here have followed some of my threads about tuning and most recently poor mpg. Well, I am getting the mpg thing figured out, pushing over 10 now, but I am at an impasse for adding more power. I have the full Banks power pack (headers,exhaust and intake) along with 5star tunes, 4.30 gears and a 4" lift and 35's. Truck does fine, but I just picked up a Paxton nova 2000 kit, and am thinking of putting it on. I would get a psd intercooler, and some 39lb injectors, and have it dyne tuned locally.

Here is my dillema. The truck is an 02, and being leaf sprung and lifted it rides like a canastoga wagon (even with the deavers up front) and the interior is a bit dated, and I am concerned that the trans might not last long with 400+ rwhp (truck has 124k miles). I have a chance to get a 2006 f250 lariat 4x4 that is stock height w/ 4.10 gears the 3v v10 and torqueshift w/ 50k miles less. The part throttle and low end didn't feel much better than the 2v I have now, but getting on it, it is deffinately better.

I know the supercharged 2v will be quicker, but will it tow better with the centrifical than a tuned 3v? Will the 3v with custom tuning be that much better than the truck is stock? I know there was a difference on my 2v, but it wasn't huge, and I think I read that mike is getting something like 75 lb/ft more in the low end with his tuning. That would be huge!

I know the later truck is a ton nicer, but is it worth 100 hp less than the supercharged 2v?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That is a very hard one....

Anytime you pump up an engine up above stock, you are applying more stress to all components. At some point, beyond the design margin.

The 3V is nice because the later tranny is designed to handle higher loads.

A leaf sprung SD can be tuned to ride as well as later models - just need to fine tune springs AND shocks.

Registration and insurance costs would be a factor for some.

And perhaps, the biggest question is how problematic would it be for YOU in YOUR situation if the pumped up 2V blew up, or the transmission died???
If your lifestyle allows you to deal with it, the monster 2V could be a very fun way to go.
If your life commitments or attitude means mechanical failures would be a painful or unbearable thing, you should consider 3V.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:08 PM
straightaxle
Senior User
I have custom valved fox shocks all the way around, they were done by a buddy of mine who I work on his desert truck. They made a big difference, but the thing is just too harsh. I have taken leaves out to reduce rate, changed valving to compensate, everything. Don't get me wrong, it isn't horrible, like a fabtech kit, it just isn't close to a coil spring front end.
I have weighed the engine failure, and I am partially justifying the" upgrade" to the 3v truck because the cost of a granny and the tuning and other hard parts for the supercharger would close the gap on the price of the lariat vs what I can get for mine drastically.

I guess my real problem is, I am not happy with the 2v performance, and its appetite for fuel with said lackluster performance. I could live with 8-10 mpg if the truck had 500hp, but I am afraid that if I jump ship to a newer 3v, I will be dissapointed with its performance too. I don't see 25 lb/ft, and 20-30hp over my current truck being that much of a difference. Is the 3v, especially after being tuned that much better?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
The torqshift also has an extra gear, which will definitely help towing.

And the low-end on the 3-valver is because of the fly-by-wire. A 5-star tune will help that tremendously.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by straightaxle
I have custom valved fox shocks all the way around, they were done by a buddy of mine who I work on his desert truck. They made a big difference, but the thing is just too harsh. I have taken leaves out to reduce rate, changed valving to compensate, everything. Don't get me wrong, it isn't horrible, like a fabtech kit, it just isn't close to a coil spring front end.
I have weighed the engine failure, and I am partially justifying the" upgrade" to the 3v truck because the cost of a granny and the tuning and other hard parts for the supercharger would close the gap on the price of the lariat vs what I can get for mine drastically.

I guess my real problem is, I am not happy with the 2v performance, and its appetite for fuel with said lackluster performance. I could live with 8-10 mpg if the truck had 500hp, but I am afraid that if I jump ship to a newer 3v, I will be dissapointed with its performance too. I don't see 25 lb/ft, and 20-30hp over my current truck being that much of a difference. Is the 3v, especially after being tuned that much better?
I own both.
The 3V is a night and day difference from a 2V. My truck runs circles around the Excursion,and feels like a rocket compared to the Excursion that feels like driving a big lumbering battleship around. The trans is alot of it-ratios on the TS are much better than the 4R100, and keep the engine in a happy spot in the RPM range at just about any speed.
Plus, if you tow anything, the 3V trucks have the optional tow command system that can be added if the truck in question does not already have it. I've never driven with any other brake controller system that's as effective and makes slowing/stopping so effortless.
JL

Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Skoda
Elder User
Why not mount the novi charger on the 3v? get the injectrs maf and intercooler then dyno tune it... (yea easyer said then done) i'am just thinking out loud