General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Some people's homes are more important than yours!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:23 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people's homes are more important than yours!

A few weeks ago, we had a tornado scare in our area. That's not to take anything away from the people who experienced actual tornados, my heart goes out to them. However, I work in an office environment around mostly civil servants. Occassionaly, the director lets everyone go an hour early. He has the authority to give out a '59' at his discretion. Of course, that doesn't apply to contractors (me, in other words). We have to stay for the entire 8 hours. This is no big deal, normally. When the tornado warning was in effect for our area, this email was sent out to everyone:

All - As you are probably aware there have been major storms to the west and moving east. This has brought terrible tornado's causing destruction and even some deaths. I encourage each of you not to take these storms lightly. A tornado can hit at anytime, anywhere, without warning and be deadly. Please make sure that your homes are secured, pets are safe, and stay tuned to the news for developing information. Because storms are expected to pick up this afternoon I am going ahead now and authorizing a 59 for this afternoon, so that you can get home and take any precautions you might have forgotten to take, and you won't be traveling on the highways. Please utilize this time with safety in mind. Make sure your workload is addressed, customers are taken care of, and area secured before you leave today. Unfortunately contractors and duty section are not authorized this early release. [the bold is mine] Thanks, and be safe.

Really??

This one offended me a little. I laughed it off, but it still stings. Oh, BTW, I did leave early that day, anyway, mainly because I was on the bike and needed to get off the road before it got too dangerous.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm offended FOR you, Stu.

That's just so wrong,,,, on SO many levels.

I'll leave it there,,, so I don't have to move this to The Club!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
AH...59 minutes (59 minutes is the most amount of time you can take w/o taking leave)....I love those words.
I understand your view but the Director (government employee) is not authorized to give a contractor "59" (not even the COTR). Your boss should've stepped up to the plate and given it to you or what ever you policy is about 59 minutes unless you have some kind of "MUST BE HERE" job like security or cook etc....

I understand your frustration, Stu...and I am sorry.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stu37d

This one offended me a little. I laughed it off, but it still stings. Oh, BTW, I did leave early that day, anyway, mainly because I was on the bike and needed to get off the road before it got too dangerous.
Well...There ya go. Contractors can just pick up and leave the office whenever they want......A self-authorized '59' if you will......

Old 05-17-2011, 02:52 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really is a non-issue, but I have to say that I get a sense of what segregation must have been like. Not to equate the little occassional jabs ("you're not allowed because you're a contractor" and other dumb things that are said, not really meant to offend, but it certainly gets old) with what black folks had to deal with during the 60's, but it really is a learning experience. Sometimes the comments just rub me wrong, I guess.

I understand the whole 59 thing, and it doesn't bother me in the least, but when the safety of the people that work here is in question, well, let's be honest. Who's going to put work ahead of their own family and safety?

Well...There ya go. Contractors can just pick up and leave the office whenever they want......A self-authorized '59' if you will......
Steve, I apply the common sense rule when it comes to leaving. My sitting here all by myself accomplishes nothing. I don't have the authority to sign DD214s, and I don't have the authority to change pay and stuff, so as soon as 'the coast is clear' on those 59-days, I'm packing it in, anyway. I just hate being singled out as a "CONTRACTOR." I'll never make a real issue out of it. I have said to some pepople that the 'contractor comments' are getting a llittle stale, but don't plan on getting too bent out of shape over it.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
As the "CONTRACTOR", who signs your paycheck?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

I hope this comes out right....this is not meant to be offend
Stu, in this setting here (FTE) we are all for one and for for all! (Except the Mods...who by the way are the best). (Will some one hand me a rag to wipe the shtuff off my nose, please?)
But in Government and Contractor relationship, there is a difference. I am sorry to say it but it is. There is segregation as there should be. Would you let your male babysitter go on vacation with your family b/c you are unable to attend? (hope that came across right). It doesn't mean a contractor are any less (believe me, we need contractors). A Contractor or contract is just that. A contractor is hired to perform a duty. A director or even the COTR can NOT tell a contractor to knock of early. BUT your employer/boss can (if they have a pair, depending on how the contract is written).
I believe a contractor and government employees are different and SHOULD be separated as 2 different entities. BUT PLEASE don't feel like YOU (STU) are being singled out as a single individual.
Question for you...Are there ANY contractors authorized to sign a DD214?

Please don't fault me for my views and the rules the government has.
I respect you as a contractor as well as a person.

As far as an equal fellow FTE'er, you are tops with me!
I am sorry this is buggen ya and I would like to help any way I can but I can't paint it any other way.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:28 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Originally Posted by Copedawg
I hope this comes out right....this is not meant to be offend
Stu, in this setting here (FTE) we are all for one and for for all!
But in Government and Contractor relationship, there is a difference. I am sorry to say it but it is. There is segregation as there should be. Would you let your male babysitter go on vacation with your family b/c you are unable to attend? (hope that came across right). It doesn't mean a contractor are any less (believe me, we need contractors). A Contractor or contract is just that. A contractor is hired to perform a duty. A director or even the COTR can NOT tell a contractor to knock of early. BUT your employer/boss can (if they have a pair, depending on how the contract is written).
I believe a contractor and government employees are different and SHOULD be separated as 2 different entities. BUT PLEASE don't feel like YOU (STU) are being singled out as a single individual.
Question for you...Are there ANY contractors authorized to sign a DD214?

Please don't fault me for my views and the rules the government has.
I respect you as a contractor as well as a person.

As far as an equal fellow FTE'er, you are tops with me!
I am sorry this is buggen ya and I would like to help any way I can but I can't paint it any other way.
That is where I was gonna take this......

Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

I work with contractors throughout the day. There are good bosses and well, not so good bosses (in the government too). Some stick to the books no matter what and some improvise as needed with the changing world around them.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's a new one to me. We live in tornado alley and in the past 13 years i've lived here, none of my private sector jobs let us go early to 'batten down the hatches for an impending tornado threat.'

Man, i miss working for the gov't.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

"59" is not just given for that....normally it is in-junction with a 3-day (Monday off) weekend.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
I sympathize with your feelings of segregation, but there is some history involved.

A large company hired a contractor. He stayed there for many years. Then one day, he sued for retirement benefits, (This REALLY happened).

He said that the company had treated him JUST LIKE an employee. He had a business card with the company logo, and he had been invited to all meetings, parties, etc. He won the suit.

After that incident, companies (including mine), developed some rigid rules for contractors. At my place, they were excluded from portions of meetings where financials were discussed, amongst other things.

It may have been that due to the terms of your contract, this guy couldn't actually authorize a 59 for you. However, it sounds as if he made no attempt to make sure that you stuck around. That might say something.

hj

Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ford2go

He said that the company had treated him JUST LIKE an employee. He had a business card with the company logo, and he had been invited to all meetings, parties, etc. He won the suit.
You're kidding!

Treated him 'just like' an employee? Did they make deductions from his paycheck to fund the retirement? Did he have to make contribution to the company health plan? (I'm assuming regular employees did). If they did, and HE did not.....then he wasn't treated just like a regular employee......

Old 05-18-2011, 05:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
The contract may not have that kind of wording in it and the COTR, Contracting Officer's Technical Representative will likely not carry that authority either as the COTR in many military environments is an active duty Enlisted person answering to a civilian contracting officer.

Stu,

I most definitely sympathize with you. But, as retired sailors, we should be used to that by now. Our families and homes are secondary to government property especially when assigned to a ship. They don't tend to fare well pier side.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Look at the bright side, Stu.....You likely don't have to deal with a lot of the corporate chicken-s--t either.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some people's homes are more important than yours!