Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Update : Tuxedo Black Gone for Good

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasttimez
Ford's not the only one suffering here. All auto makers are having to scramble and or stop production of certain colors because of this. Certain shades of Red and some metallic colors other than Tuxedo Black also. The Japanese company makes these specific pigments which in turn they ship to BASF which in turn they mix into paint for the auto makers. So it's just a matter of time before they either move the operation elsewhere or reopen it's plant in Japan. They would stand to lose a *****load of money if they couldn't start production back up. Worse comes to worse, they sell their patent's on the paint's to another manufactuer.
I completely agree! They may be temporarily unavailable but they will return one way or another!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:56 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
You would think technology could come up with a way......not just one place on the planet that can make it...

Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasttimez
Ford's not the only one suffering here. All auto makers are having to scramble and or stop production of certain colors because of this. Certain shades of Red and some metallic colors other than Tuxedo Black also. The Japanese company makes these specific pigments which in turn they ship to BASF which in turn they mix into paint for the auto makers. So it's just a matter of time before they either move the operation elsewhere or reopen it's plant in Japan. They would stand to lose a *****load of money if they couldn't start production back up. Worse comes to worse, they sell their patent's on the paint's to another manufactuer.
I read on another forum that the plant was back up and running.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:43 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the same thing.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW
That's why this site is so great .some of you have some great detailed information. It sound's like a delay will be the worst of it since the plant is back up and running already. I have hope for Tuxedo black in 2012 !
The dealer is going to contact me as soon as the order guides hit, But you guys will have it first. LOL

Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spoke with my paint rep today and he said that there is enough stock of xirallic tint in the supply chain for a while (Sikkens Paint line), and that the company that makes xirallic flakes is Merck. (yes, the drug company) Other than what I have heard here and on the internet, this is all I know. This metallic flake is on many cars I paint at work so I have to believe one way or another, it will be produced again.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
UP-DATE 7/6
Well,
Received call from dealer,
All above about the plant being back up and running is great. But as far as FORD goes.Tuxedo Black is Gone for good as dealer said.They replaced it with Ebony Black and a new color code.
So I guess if you have one that's cool and rare, But I worry about future re-paints with a color used on 1 year only. I was told ford is shifting the paint source for good.
If it was a quick easy fix we would have tuxedo black as (late availability).
But we do not !.
Just wanted to pass this along

Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
UP-DATE 7/6
Well,
Received call from dealer,
All above about the plant being back up and running is great. But as far as FORD goes.Tuxedo Black is Gone for good as dealer said.They replaced it with Ebony Black and a new color code.
So I guess if you have one that's cool and rare, But I worry about future re-paints with a color used on 1 year only. I was told ford is shifting the paint source for good.
If it was a quick easy fix we would have tuxedo black as (late availability).
But we do not !.
Just wanted to pass this along

Thanks for the update sir, I actually did get a rare piece then.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDavis
The metallic fleck in the Tuxedo Black was man-made in Japan. Since the 'quake and tsunami they have ceased production of the fleck material.
I'm guessing that Ford has not been able to find a replacement for this material and has since looked into other options.
Here's a link from MotorTrend shortly after the disaster:
Pigment Problems: Supplier Issues Could Leave Ford Without Red, Black Paint - WOT on Motor Trend

I got the same info yesterday in one of my Power Industrial e-mags. The one plant in japan was the sole vendor for the unique element that made the paint 'Tux Black". Sorry for you owners hope a solution is in the near future....

Old 07-07-2011, 01:14 PM
tspangle84
Senior User
Yep, I just ordered a new F-150 on Monday, and Tuxedo Black is still not available, so I got Ebony Black. Tux would have been nice, but I'm not too bothered either way, really.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tspangle84
Yep, I just ordered a new F-150 on Monday, and Tuxedo Black is still not available, so I got Ebony Black. Tux would have been nice, but I'm not too bothered either way, really.
The Tux had a very nice metallic look about it as the sun hit it just right. Does the ebony have any distinctive 'look' about it ?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
tspangle84
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chinookman
The Tux had a very nice metallic look about it as the sun hit it just right. Does the ebony have any distinctive 'look' about it ?
Nope, Ebony is just plain old black.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:18 PM
m.gil
Freshman User
Do Ya think if ford looked real hard ,they might find an AMERICAN supplier?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by m.gil
Do Ya think if ford looked real hard ,they might find an AMERICAN supplier?
You do know that 70%+ of your truck comes from across one of the ponds right?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 PM
m.gil
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
You do know that 70%+ of your truck comes from across one of the ponds right?
I most certainly do, The only thing made in this country is unemployment ! Maybe if these big corporations would stop outsourceing this country could pull outa this mess!!

Quick Reply: Update : Tuxedo Black Gone for Good