Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Edge vs Murano vs Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 AM
ommegang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge vs Murano vs Jeep Grand Cherokee

Step mother had me at the Jeep dealer yesterday. Quite impressed with the Jeep. I test drove the 5.7L v8 but she is only looking at the v6. Really liked the v8 though and the re-design of the Jeep. Steering wheel was leather and ultra-thick. Any thoughts on the above mentioned vehichles? Best product for the best price is what I am after. Would never even have considered the Jeep until yesterday.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
The Jeep.....for the V8's, the torque converters are crap...impllers are spot brazed and when heated, induce pulsated type hesitation and failure. In general, Electrical system is crap.....window motors are lightweight, known issues. Because of poor ventialltion design, both V6 & V8 models are known for developing water-based sludge/condensation in the engine- eventually leadsing to crankshaft/cam bearing failures.....not honored under warranty in most cases- oem claims it is a maintenance failure issue. Also, the long term warranty is invalidated if you do not bring the vehicle in for a "dealer service/inspection" at the end of the oem bumper to bumper warranty period. Diffs are known also to have problems, seems to vary from good to a slew of failures....oem typically denies warranty coverage due to "operator abuse".

Murano.....interior connectors are low cost items, leads to "rattles" early on. front suspension is weak, alignments are common requirements even if you "gently" tap a parking stop. very weak end links on suspension and very costly to replace- typical import part replacement costs though, up to double for a N/A equivalent. Engines- cooling system is of borderline design..just enough to do the job but if any this is off (slightly low on coolant, etc.), overheat is almost guaranteed. cylinderheads are prone to warping- ie head gasket failures. Brake rotors are of al/composite material, ie if you are hard on the brakes, you will warp the rotors- the oe specs are such that if they do warp they are likely out of spec and require replacement. Also city gas mileage is typically much less than expected...heavy traffic as low as 10-13 mpg by my neighbors.

IMHO, I would avoid the above like the black plague.

The edge....someone else will have to chime in.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't speak for the Murano, but as for the Jeep, my wife's Grand Cherokee has 150,000 miles and the only issues we have had are one alternator, one battery, and three of the four window regulators. We considered trading up to a newer SUV and test drove many, including the Edge, and it did not feel as solid as the Jeep we already had. Just our opinions, good luck.