Cranks for 10-15 seconds before starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranks for 10-15 seconds before starts

'96 F350 CrewCab 4wd E4OD
The glow plugs are working, even tried block heater for a couple of hours before hand (it functions too).
Ambient temp. in mid-60s.

I'm assuming there is a fuel drain back/air leak somewhere.
I replaced all of the rubber lines except for the fuel bowl drain yesterday.

Any likely problems to look for or known air intrusion locations?

THANKS!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you just changed the hpop it needs to be driven to get the air out of the lines. Sometimes takes 60 miles or more of solid driving

Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Muktown
Since you just changed the hpop it needs to be driven to get the air out of the lines. Sometimes takes 60 miles or more of solid driving
Hey my own personal Powerstroke tech is back!

Thanks for the help again last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR MY TRUCK people!

That's good to know about the lines, it'd be nice if it's something that clears itself up.

It'll be a while before it gets that many miles on it as I need to do brakes (easy, lost of experience there) and figure out what the heck is wrong in the steering column. The wheel turns hard and almost locks up sometimes, it's making some disconcerting noises too.
I'm converting my '95 to a T-19 with OD so I may just swap the column out of it?

THANKS AGAIN Muktown!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem. Glad to help. So what's the story with the truck? Salvage?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Muktown
No problem. Glad to help. So what's the story with the truck? Salvage?
I don't know the P.O. but he must have been a pretty big ****.
At least most of the parts were still hanging around in the truck when I got it. So I didn't have to go searching around looking for small parts. The rebuilt HPOP was even on the driver's floor board.

One of the scariest things was on my first VERY SHORT test drive there was something majorly wrong with the front end.
I was excited about completing the first round of HPOP install and I didn't check it out too closely until I got back.
There was only one nut on each of the U-bolts on the passenger's side front axle and one was not even FINGER tight! The front U-bolt was not even on the top plate/shock mount.

I'm pretty sure it had a fairly minor front end collision since the front header panel/core support clearly says FORD 1992. And it seems to be a mixture of red and dark green parts with a quicky dark green paint job thrown over the top.
I'm not even sure if the air bag is still in it but I'm sure the suspected front end damage might have something to do with the steering column problems.

The title is clear as the owner of the wrecking yard bought it personally for his own use but later decided not to mess with trying to get it running.
He knows I'm a NUT for a 1-ton diesel so he gave me first crack at it.

As I said in the other post; (in Oregon we actually have gas station attendants, you don't pump you own fuel) one of them put gas in it and he ran it that way, then couldn't figure out how to fix it. He tore it all apart, bought the reman HPOP and sold it in pieces to my buddy.

It's got a lot of wavy body panels, crummy dark green paint in the front and a bright red bed.
The interior is in pretty good shape.
I'm a gunsmith/gunshop owner so I'm thinking of doing an OD green paint job when I get all of the mechanicals fixed and using it for my daily driver. I just hope nobody confuses me with that guy from Red Jacket on Sons of Guns

I've had a few slightly rough trucks in the past and it's nice not to have to worry about your body/paint all of the time. You can park where you want and by anybody, if they ding your truck.... big deal.