Gotta get into rear brakes TOMORROW

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Well, they are definitely stuck on there. I backed off the adjusters, sprayed some PB around and beat it up good with a dead blow hammer, no luck yet. I'll get them, just sprayed more PB on there, and let them sit till after a little long dinner. Back at in a while. I did rotors, pads on the front last year, 5k ago or so is all.

Sounds like not an expensive repair more than likely, kind I like.
One tip, make one side at the time, so you can compare if anything is malpositioned or you forgot how it goes.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Good idea Jose. I just popped on to see if anybody had anymore ideas, that's a good one. I was going to take a pic, probably still will but doing one side at a time sounds good.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
One tip, make one side at the time, so you can compare if anything is malpositioned or you forgot how it goes.
Great advice Jose. My dad taught me that when I was 14 or 15 and very true! I tried to rep ya but it won't let me....

Old 05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Well, it's been a long while since I did drums (my car is all disc), but I need to do mine. I know it's prolly silly easy, but I love following good directions to maximize my efficiency doing the work. Avoiding gotcha's and the like. Anyone have a good write-up? Also, I'd love to hear some recommendations for good shoes. I am leery of the low'reilleys offerings. I'll pay more for kwality...

Old 05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
IMO a deadblow just won't cut it.
You need a big iron hammer to shock the rust loose.
Whale away, you won't hurt it, and if you do then it was scrap before you got to it.

Put garden hose or something over the studs and beat at the drum between the studs, probably froze to the hub.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Good idea Jose. I just popped on to see if anybody had anymore ideas, that's a good one. I was going to take a pic, probably still will but doing one side at a time sounds good.
Originally Posted by BIGRED 7.3L
Great advice Jose. My dad taught me that when I was 14 or 15 and very true! I tried to rep ya but it won't let me....
Thank to you mis amigos. and RED dont worry about the rep thing.
I was trying to attach a diagram that maybe helps you. but the internet doesnt allowed.

BTW also remember that there are a primary (shorter) and secondary (larger) shoe assembly and they are in front an in the back accordingly IRRC.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2011, 02:58 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Whale away, you won't hurt it, and if you do then it was scrap before you got to it.

Put garden hose or something over the studs and beat at the drum between the studs, probably froze to the hub.
X2
Grab a 3lb hand sledge and start wailing. Nothing like a BFH to get those stuck drums loose. In fact, I broke, that's right BROKE IN TWO, the rotors on the wife's Windstar last night trying to remove them so they could be replaced. Never done that before, but as soon as they cracked, I was able to pull them off by hand. Actually separated the hub section from the rotor.

Just be careful around the lug studs.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DZL JIM

Put garden hose or something over the studs and beat at the drum between the studs, Ijprobably froze to the hub.
x2 for sure. Mine have seen a little salt water in the surf line but nothing like the salt and snow you guys see and they were on there good. I broke the adjuster one time and there was no way to get the drum off. Was my first time so I didn't want to torch it. Took about an hour straight with a 15 lb sledge to break it off. Anyway, those things are tough

Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
yea deadblow went out the window as soon as I got back from lunch. Block of wood and little sledge and i popped both off. Got new drums, pads, hardware. Got pics of old crap I'll put up later, its bad. Back outside. Jumped on dads compuer to fill you in.

Oh, yeah, ALL MADE IN THE USA PARTS!!!! Napa, 230 bucks for all.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Well, here is the carnage and a couple pics of the new parts. If you haven't checked your rear brakes in a while, do it. Don't let them get like this! I can't believe I did..

Look at the burn marks on this, nothing left, passenger side rear

Here's a crappy pic of the drum, you can see the deeper groove in the middle

Here is the front of the worst side (pass. side)

Couple pics of new pads and drum

All in all not a bad job. Did it this afternoon, taking an hour and a half to go get parts out of the middle of it. Much better brake pedal now. Didn't think it was bad before, but now its great. Many thanks to all, especially Ian (pglebbia), he gave me his number to call if I needed help.

Oh yeah, gotta mention again, ALL PARTS MADE IN THE USA!!!!!!! All four boxes were marked.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

Well, here is the carnage and a couple pics of the new parts. If you haven't checked your rear brakes in a while, do it. Don't let them get like this! I can't believe I did..

Look at the burn marks on this, nothing left, passenger side rear

Here's a crappy pic of the drum, you can see the deeper groove in the middle

Here is the front of the worst side (pass. side)

Couple pics of new pads and drum

All in all not a bad job. Did it this afternoon, taking an hour and a half to go get parts out of the middle of it. Much better brake pedal now. Didn't think it was bad before, but now its great. Many thanks to all, especially Ian (pglebbia), he gave me his number to call if I needed help.

Oh yeah, gotta mention again, ALL PARTS MADE IN THE USA!!!!!!! All four boxes were marked.
Glad to hear that you fixed it. And I was going to ask about the feeling of the brake pedal with that NO shoes !

Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Thanks for the pics, Darin. I guess I'll stop at the parts store this week and get the stuff to do it. I want to knock it out this weekend.

Was it just "NAPA" brand? I like to buy the best parts I can.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I believe everything was napa brand. I was just happy it didn't say made in china.

Now I noticed I've got a small oil leak in the valley somewhere, running down. Thought I replaced all the orings up there already for oil, not fuel yet though. I'm sure its oil though. Gotta dig in I guess.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 PM
smash fascism
Senior User
I am doing mine this weekend, I picked up a set of motorcraft shoes and they were only $60. I usually try and go with O.E whenever possible, they look like very good quality.

Quick Reply: Gotta get into rear brakes TOMORROW