Sponsored by:

LCD touch screen radio, dvd, gps.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:21 AM
CrzHelm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD touch screen radio, dvd, gps.

alright been putting it off but now... Im ordering one these things and just making sure i make the right choice. I got trip coming up and my stock radio wont decide between cd and fm. pissing me off now.

$300 to spend for one of these chinese gadgets.
i have my eye on these 2
HD 6.2" TOUCH DOUBLE DIN GPS NAVIGATION CAR DVD PLAYER | eBay

3D 7" Touch Screen 2 Din Car Radio DVD Player GPS SAT | eBay
any of you gadget guys see anything wrong with them. maybe recommend a different one? which would you choose?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I remember seeing one that had the dual zone audio...meaning that you could have the rear speakers play the audio for the DVD, while the front play the radio and navigation directions. That way, the kids in the back can watch their shows and you can listen to music rather than listening to the movie.

I could not find it again on flea bay. I just thought that was an interesting feature. Maybe these units you are looking at has that, but I didn't see it mentioned.

Good luck. Let us know how either one of them turns out. I'm interested in getting one myself, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have my old Alpine in there and I have a separate GPS unit so it's really not urgent for me...

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 AM
CrzHelm
Senior User
Dual Zone

you know Ive thought about that, but really I just rather get a seperate ceiling dvd setup with wireless headsets for back there. I have that setup now in our honda odyssey had in our old 03 expedtion. I still think seperate is the way to go.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been wanting to do the same thing. But I wouldn't drop $300 on a Chinese-no-name radio. Do your homework on different, well known brands with a warranty. I know others here have done it and its really trick when its done right.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
This is a "someday" mod for me too.
From what I remember reading, these units have like 64MB of memory,
so it may not perform well enough.

Keep in mind $300 is LESS than 2 tanks of gas/fuel - don't skimp
on the entertainment center IMO.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Eric H
Senior User
I've had one of the 7" players installed for a few months now. I have the version with out GPS. It works fine. There's nothing fancy about it, but it gets the job done. I have it feeding a flip down rear screen and am working on finishing a backup camera on a switch.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Don't expect the $300 unit to last more than a couple years without issues - just hope it lasts a few MONTHS. Personally, I'd spend 2x as much to get one that will last 4x as long.

I paid $500 for a used double-din Eclipse dual-disc DVD/NAV system over 3yrs ago and it still works like new... Someday I hope I find a deal like that for the X!!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Eric H
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Don't expect the $300 unit to last more than a couple years without issues - just hope it lasts a few MONTHS. Personally, I'd spend 2x as much to get one that will last 4x as long.

I paid $500 for a used double-din Eclipse dual-disc DVD/NAV system over 3yrs ago and it still works like new... Someday I hope I find a deal like that for the X!!
I had the same opinion before I purchased mine. However, I read more than one thread about these decks on FTE and other forums before I purchased. Overall, they've had surprisingly good reviews. I've seen zero reports of failure.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric H
I had the same opinion before I purchased mine. However, I read more than one thread about these decks on FTE and other forums before I purchased. Overall, they've had surprisingly good reviews. I've seen zero reports of failure.
I can't get over all the poor engrish/translation in the ebay ads... ie, read the 'fast shipping' - do they mean 10-15 days or 4-5 days PLUS 10-15 days?? I can only imagine actually trying to have a conversation with these folks in the event my $300 investment went sideways. Anyway, glad to hear they seem to be holding up well - I guess I've just never had that kind of luck with cheeep chineesy knock-offs.

My last experience was the DB starter that 'got good reviews on FTE' - It started the truck at least a dozen times before it DIED... At least the DB guy speaka da engrish, actually with that TN drawl he had I could understand him real good!! Even when its replaced under warranty, I doubt I'll put that POS back in one of MY trucks...

Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in this same boat a few months back. It started with the cheaper units then I thought it would be nice to have the added features of the units with wince6 on em which brought the prices up to the 6 bones price. I ended up getting the kenwood 7160 for 8 something for the reliability and dual zone all bells and wisles. Happy with the choice so far. I ended upgrading the whole system. The good old modo, you might as well do it right the first time instead of doing it a second time.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:07 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had two different generations of Kenwood double din setups and they have both been amazing...has gps, video, bluetooth, backup cameras to my license frame, and feeds into 2 rear headrest tv's...they were also able to feed it into the oem ceiling tv but that crapped out on me and I just haven't wanted to spend the money to fix that while the other two are still working. One day though when I get around to spending money on that, then I'll have all three tv's goin again.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:42 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 AM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime

Very nice!

On a side note I have a Kenwood DDX6017 for sale...I'm still not all that familiar with this site so if there is a section where I can post a "for sale" ad, then I'll put it up with pics. It has the gps unit/software included...it has iPod capabilities however the cable was not purchased.

Here's the info on it Kenwood DDX6017 Double DIN 6.5" TFT-LCD Monitor with DVD/CD/MP3

-Steph

Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
TXSailor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one of the Chienese 7in 3D units installed in my EX. Works fine. I have it loaded with IGO Primo insted of the Sygic Navigation that comes with it.

The unit is a Windows CE Operating System so it will run several different navigation packaages once you put them on an SD card and configure it.

I think I have pictures posted in my Albums.

Check here:

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - TXSailor's Album: Chinese HU Install

D

Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Codelizard
Mountain Pass
I consider myself an audiophile and I care a hell of alot about the audio in my ride.

That being said, I'm on board with the thought of you get what you pay for. I have a dual-din Pioneer head unit touchscreen that I did a custom installation with. It's got GPS, XM/Sirius Radio, USB/Ipod Interface, SD Card for updates and/or music, DVD, HD Radio, Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Handsfree, etc, etc, etc. The only reason I would upgrade would be to go for a Carputer and take the whole thing to a new level.

I would rather drop 500-600 on a name brand than a no-name chinese for half the price. Don't get me wrong, you may find nothing wrong with the cheapie ones, this is just my own perspective.

Plus I love my toys.

Quick Reply: LCD touch screen radio, dvd, gps.