'11 f150 speaker/sub options...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM
ProgDrummer79
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 f150 speaker/sub options...

ok so I am coming from having a lariat dually w/ premium sound, to an '11 f150 w/ basic sound. I've decided to fix that.

I want to ditch all factory speakers. I'll probably run an amp for the speakers.
My old lariat had the factory sub. I will be adding a sub and amp.

I have seen some custom boxes online that fit underneath the back seat, so that would keep the look nice and clean. I have heard that they make "low profile" subs, that take up less space. Not sure if they are required for that application. (the truck is a super cab)

the issue is that I am not trying to win awards for the bass response. I listen to all forms of rock music. when I have heard rock tunes with a 15" sub, alot of the bass is lost exept the super low frequencies. 10's hit great w/ rock tunes, such as when there is double bass drumming, but still some of the "not so low" frequencies get lost.

I want this system to have SUPER clean sound, super loud, and not muddy with bass.

I'm thinking a custom under-back-seat box w/ (1) 10" and (1) 8". i would assume I would need crossovers to send the freq's accoringly. and I have no idea what for speakers to use in the doors. I just know I want them loud and crystal clear.

do you guys have any ideas what speakers i should use, where to get a custom box ordered, how things should be hooked up, pro's/ cons of what i am trying to accomplish.

money isnt a real big issue, to an extent. so I would entertain any ideas.

thanx guys.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:08 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Qforms makes under seat boxes & JL Audio & MTX make loaded boxes with subs in them. I used a Qforms box in my 97 F150 It held 2/8 inch subs, It went under the seat & sounded good

Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
ProgDrummer79
Freshman User
are the boxes made specifically to fit under the seat or is it a generic size? can they make custom boxes for 1 8" and 1 10" sub? still not sure which way to go on the door speakers, it's been awhile since I've put a system in a car so I don't know what is good or bad.

Can you use one amp for an 8 and 10, and be able to use crossovers so they hit at different freqs? that idea sounded good in my head, but I've only ever had 2 10 inchers, so I wasnt sure if it were possible.

I'd like to know some brands of speakers and subs, if anyone has some experience with good brands. Let me know what you think. I had kicker comps before, but I dont know if there's something better or not. I just picked those by accident and they were ok.

Edit: I looked at the qforms boxes. they seem nice but dont have many options for an '11 f150, so I'll have to keep looking.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:42 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Might want to call Mike at BoxWorx for info on a box. He'll custom build one if you want to pay for it.

You could do an 8" and a 10" with crossovers if you wanted. It's absolutely possible.

As far as brands go it all depends on how much you want to spend. JL, Stereo Integrity, RE Audio or Pioneer, Kicker, Infinity etc.

For door speakers (if you're interested) look for something with a high sensitivity, something above 90. Preferably 92 or higher. You can go lower, like 86 or 88, but you will likely need an amp to drive them as some head units don't deal well with driving low sensitivity speakers.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 PM
ProgDrummer79
Freshman User
Thanks for the info!

Yeah I planned on running an amp for my door speakers anyways, but I am more concerned with quality of sound than price. If I can get a box built, I would have no problem spending a couple grand or so on speakers and amps. I just know I want it to sound amazing, or as amazing as I can get inside a truck. I looked at kickers, it seems they still make decent subs, so I'll probably go with them. As far as the door speakers and amps, I'm still up in the air.

I'm kinda surprised there weren't more responses to my questions. I guess since I'm used to the diesel section of the site, I assumed the other sections would be just as busy. But thank you to the guys that did. I'll look around at some door speakers.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Not sure if Kicker makes a shallow mount sub, which is why I suggested JL or Stereo Integrity. Personally I'm going with the Pioneers. If you go with a full sized sub/s, space will be an issue.

Hertz is also a very good full range speaker, as are Focals if money isn't a problem.

FYI, I was fortunate enough to exchange e-mails with a guy who had a dual 12" ported box from BoxWorx. He had the Pioneer shallow mounts, and along with amped door speakers the sound was indeed amazing according to an Alpine rep. That was good enough for me.

This forum is kinda funny. The threads seem to come in spurts. Sometimes there's no action in here for weeks and other times it goes crazy for awhile.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
You can go as wild as you want in your truck. I have 1 MTX 10 in a 6.25 cu box between the console & rear seat in my F250 for now. I plan to build a ported console box for a Exodus Audio Shiva 12 when I can afford the sub & amp. I'll push it with 750 to 1000 watts. I have MB Quart reference 3 way components up front. They retailed for $1500 when I bought them. I paid $500. My Ranger is much louder than the F250. It has a set of Exodus Audio 6.5s up front. They are outrageous loud. I drive them with 250 watts a side.They go down to 45 HZ with 12 mm of Xmax. I run 1 10 inch Ed e5.10 DVc sub in a ported box driven with a 500 watt amp. It has 25 mm of Xmax. I hit 140 plus db in the little truck with very clean sound