Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Digital vs Analog gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:22 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like Clay said, the Performax gauges are more expensive cause you have to buy the ESP at first. The cool thing is though, thats a one time cost and you can add up to 17 gauges to it. EV2 gauges each have their own sender (which is why they cost more compared to a Performax gauge) and need wires run from the senders to each gauge. The Performax series uses only 3 wires that run from the ESP into the cab. All your gauges go on those 3 wires, so its easier to install, especially if you plan on adding more gauges down the road.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary F-250
.... is there an big enough accuracy difference where mechanical is more accurate that electrical?....
No. I have a mechanical boost gauge (ISSPRO EV) and it registers identical to the electrical MAP sensor (monitored via AE). I suppose it's possible that it depends on what you are monitoring though....perhaps a mechanical gauge for HPOP pressure is a bit more accurate than an electrical one but the variance is insignificant.

Another question would be regarding the degree of difficulty with installation. Having read installation instructions for electrical monitors, it sounds pretty easy, just unplugging a few clamps and plugging in the monitor. I am aware that I will have to drill for the EGT and there should be an spot for the tranny temp, but what about boost, oil temp, fuel pressure, etc? I have plenty of experience with the wiring aspect and I think that I can handle drilling and tapping the exhaust. What about the rest? ...
For electric boost and fuel pressure, you will need to install the sending unit that comes with the gauge (or purchase it separately depending on the vendor). Riffraff's kits generally have everything you need with the exception of fuel pressure. You will have to order an adapter from Dieselorings.com so the sender can be installed onto the fuel bowl. Clay may have that part included in his kit by now but I didn't see it last time I checked.

I am not sure about electric oil temp since I don't have that one myself. There is a factory sensor already installed so you might be able to piggy back off that signal for the Performax system but the EV2 may need to have it's own sending unit that you'll have to find a home for. Clay (Riffraff) can help you with those details.

I don't think there is an option for mechanical EGT so you are probably out of luck if you want one of those. Even if someone does make one, you probably don't want it because that is a lot of heat to conduct into the cab and it will cause more problems then it's worth. My '55 Bel Air has a mechanical engine temp gauges and I hate it. If it wasn't for the fact that it's original, I would have changed it to electric by now.

Mechanical boost is pretty easy to install. You just run a small plastic tube into your cab and connect up to the back of the gauge. Sort of like an air pressure gauge...

Mechanical Trans/Engine oil temp and Fuel pressure require that you run the lines all the way up to the gauge which most of us don't like doing because of the possibility of a leak and getting fluid all over the inside of our trucks.

In my experience, mechanical gauges are far more difficult to install compared to electric gauges. (boost being the only exception so far...)
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the reason electrical gauges were created was to ease installation.

Final question. Greg and Travis have stated that they prefer ISSPRO. The EV2 are alittle more than I wanted to spend. Are the performax good enough?
I thought the ISSPRO EV2s were priced quite well but I might hold a higher premium on a quality set of gauges than others. I guess I figure that if I am going to take the time to install a set of gauges then I want a set that I can depend on. I started off with the standard EV gauges and have since changed to the EV2 when I got my F650 dash. In my opinion, the EV2 gauges are a premium brand and a nice improvement over the EV(1) models.

The Performax and EV2 are the same gauge. The difference is the ESP box and it is probably your best choice for ease of installation but it also is a little bit more $. The hardest thing you have to do is find a home for the ESP module. Robin did a very clean installation on his truck that was quite impressive. If I had to do it all over again, I would have sprung the extra coin for the Performax just so I can add some gauges later (which I am already thinking about doing.....again).

Like I mentioned earlier...I have ISSPRO EV2 in my XLT and Autometer Phantoms in my wife's Lariat. The EV2 are way better in my opinion...especially at night. They are very easy to read and that by itself has a ton of value to me.

I hope some of this info helps.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Gary F-250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the info, I did not know about the ESP box. I was pricing individual gauges. I like the idea of adding extra gauges to the ESP box. Tanks again guys you have been very helpful. Was already planning on calling Clay tomorrow.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Glad we could help Gary, and look forward to talking to you.