6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

No To PCM Upgrade 11B23

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Ninebell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No To PCM Upgrade 11B23

Ever since my PCM was upgraded my towing has become extremely limited. With the new flash you constantly go into limp mode while towing and everytime after regenerating. Then you've got to pull off and turn the truck off to reset the PCM wait 2-5 minutes then restart. Last week I had to pull off four times in 125 miles to reset the PCM. Had the truck to the dealer twice they can't figure it out. Alot of discussion on the internet about this flash. If you get the wrench on the message center along with the reduce power message pull off shut the truck off wait 2-5 minutes and restart should be OK until it goes into limp mode again.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I think Ford is now working on fix. Call Ford Cust Svc and open up a ticket so you can be heard as well...and get the fix.

I advise anyone that is going in for service, whether routine or engine related to call ford ahead of schedule and make sure that they document on the appt ticket your desires to do the pcm flash at a later date. This will work, I did that on my most recent visit.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
I have had all of my trucks done and have had no problems towing or otherwise. Nothing really seems any different. I would find another dealer if possible.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my truck done also. They replaced the PCM as I have an early Job 1 which in turn, the latest update was installed. I have towed pretty hard and over 3000 miles since I had it done. I have driven empty for nearly the same. No issues, in fact, it seems more snappy. I believe I would get a "second" opinion from another dealer, if they will do it. I know that there are ways to reupload the update and overwrite existing code. There may be a corruption or even voltage inconsistencies. Its a computer, happens all the time with other computers.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Ninebell
New User
I've had it to two different dealers with the same response. Consider yourself lucky if you haven't had any problems. The first dealer replaced the thermostat and EGR sensor with no help. Never ever had a problem towing my 16000 lb trailer before the flash. If Ford can not get this worked out in short order I like many others that are having problems will trade and shy away from Ford products. Just bought a new 2011 Ford edge and had to get it upgraded and there were problems with that upgrade as well. Numerous stories of problems with the 11B23 upgrade.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ninebell
Numerous stories of problems with the 11B23 upgrade.
Indeed there are, it seems that there's quite a few people experiencing similar issues here and on the "other" forums...not quite an epidemic, but not unheard of either.

I'll pass...

Good luck getting yourself squared away.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was expecting this to happen so waited until after a 800 mile round trip tow. Luckily it hasn't happened and I have towed about 300 miles with the new flash. One thing I am concerned about is the Regen not showing up, just today I happened to notice it must be in regen because my mileage dropped .2 in 2 miles, did the system check and sure enough it was. Bad thing is not knowing it is in regen and all the people that are going to shut the truck down more or less immediately while it is regening, I like to let it cool down a minute or two if I have to shut it down during a regen. I also like to turn the tow/haul on if I am at low speeds and in regen, now it is a guessing game unless you do a system check.

Not sure Why they shut the constant message off and not sure if Ford really thought this all the way through.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxie641
I was expecting this to happen so waited until after a 800 mile round trip tow. Luckily it hasn't happened and I have towed about 300 miles with the new flash. One thing I am concerned about is the Regen not showing up, just today I happened to notice it must be in regen because my mileage dropped .2 in 2 miles, did the system check and sure enough it was. Bad thing is not knowing it is in regen and all the people that are going to shut the truck down more or less immediately while it is regening, I like to let it cool down a minute or two if I have to shut it down during a regen. I also like to turn the tow/haul on if I am at low speeds and in regen, now it is a guessing game unless you do a system check.

Not sure Why they shut the constant message off and not sure if Ford really thought this all the way through.
Actually the reflash that shut off the constant regen message was a year and a half ago. you must not have been in to the dealer for awhile. They reflashed mine in November 09. didn't ask, just did it. i figured out what was happening because I was on here.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope, bought the truck 11 months ago and it had been to the dealer in Oct. for a turbo failure, never lost the message until now.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 PM
caddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Actually the reflash that shut off the constant regen message was a year and a half ago. you must not have been in to the dealer for awhile. They reflashed mine in November 09. didn't ask, just did it. i figured out what was happening because I was on here.
My truck showed the regen message constant during regen. Now after flash it shows going into regen then disappears while regen. I know its still in regen when my milage drops on LOM. And I have been to the dealer about every 6 months for oil changes.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck has been to 2 different dealers in the last 6 months and neither one updated the PCM. I even complained to both dealers about black tailpipes and both shrugged their shoulders and said "we see the black pipes but there are no codes" which tells me both dealers were already in the PCM and neither thought to update it just in case it would help with the problems I was complaining about.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:47 PM
caddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by caprang
My truck has been to 2 different dealers in the last 6 months and neither one updated the PCM. I even complained to both dealers about black tailpipes and both shrugged their shoulders and said "we see the black pipes but there are no codes" which tells me both dealers were already in the PCM and neither thought to update it just in case it would help with the problems I was complaining about.
I got a letter from ford about the latest update to the PCM. It also stated to take to dealer within a reasonable amount of time for the flash. If I delayed it would affect my warranty. So a few weeks later I called service advisor and set up an appointment for update. Did not want any warranty issues for not updating (promptly).

Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Ninebell
New User
Smile Ford Response to 11B23

I spoke with Ford customer service today, I was told that a new flash will be out Wednesday 5/18/2011 to loosen up the parameters and prevent trucks from going into limp mode when there is no need for that protection. I was also told that when it is out I would receive a call to get mine scheduled for the new flash.I will update at end of week.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ninebell
I spoke with Ford customer service today, I was told that a new flash will be out Wednesday 5/18/2011 to loosen up the parameters and prevent trucks from going into limp mode when there is no need for that protection. I was also told that when it is out I would receive a call to get mine scheduled for the new flash.I will update at end of week.
UNBELIEVABLE...

Way to make sure the newest, latest and greatest flash is good to go before sending out nastygrams saying the warranty will be void if you don't get it done within the year...

Ford screwed the pooch on this one, big time. Not getting that flash, the upgraded flash or any flash any time soon for my '10. This is the kind of stuff that gives the 6.4 a 6.0esque reputation. I had someone swearing up and down at me yesterday that the headgaskets on the 6.4 were rubbish; I had to school him that he was thinking about the 6.0 to which he responded something along the lines like, "give it some time..." I laughed it off, he was just a GMC 5.3 gasser after all...

Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I wonder what happens to those of us who already have the flash, but don't have any issues yet. Have us go back in?

Quick Reply: No To PCM Upgrade 11B23