Sponsored by: DP Tuner

EBPV pro's and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
EBPV pro's and Cons

Just wondering if this mod is worth pulling the turbo off to do, I don't have any issues, such as a leak that forces lots to do the ebpv delete. From what I know the ebpv is what gives you the high idle in cold weather to aid with warming the truck up. My truck ALWAYS starts in winter, it gets down to -10* here.....I never even have to plug it in, just cycle glow plugs twice.

The main thing I am curious about is what are the GAINS accomplished by removing it? Thanks

Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The EBPV doesn't cause the high idle per se...
It's basically a round disk on a shaft (like a throttle blade in a carburetor) that blocks the flow of exhaust coming out of the turbo. Under certain cold conditions, the PCM will command the Exhaust Back Pressure Solenoid to actuate the valve. It does this by applying low pressure oil to an actuating rod that is connected to the valve.

At the same time, the PCM increases the idle speed of the engine to generate more exhaust gasses. This increases the pressure in the exhaust manifolds which limits the amount of exhaust that can exit the cylinders after each combustion event. Thus, some heat is retained in the cylinder which has the net effect of helping warm up the engine.

Of course with the EBPV closed, power is severely restricted so you can't really drive the truck that way so the PCM disables the system when you attempt to drive the vehicle. (or at least it's supposed to function that way). I have heard some owners say they have experienced the EBPV closing while they are driving. If so, then they would also experience a reduction in power. My truck always deactivates the system as soon as I touch the brake pedal and has never come on while driving. But if yours comes on while driving then you can benefit by having it removed so you don't experience a loss in power.

It seems to me that the valve has a minimal restrictive effect while open but removing it will eliminate any restriction entirely so that may be beneficial to some. I prefer to keep it functioning because I use mine as an exhaust brake when towing.

I would keep it if I lived in Flag. It gets pretty cold up there. But you are right....you can surely get by without it if you really want to.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you Greg......so in a nutshell, there is NO performance gain by doing the EBPV delete? It sounds like no, since it is de-activated by touching the brake pedal at idle. I've been a stranger around here for awhile so I'm a bit rusty.....but I do recall a tube I cleaned out, that helped the valve work better

Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Larry_the_handyman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleting the EBPV removes some flow restriction and possible future failures. I probably wouldn't recomment doing it as a solo mod, but if you're pulling the turbo for something else then go ahead. My EBPV rod was leaking a little and I didn't even know. I was replacing my up pipes and figured I'd go ahead and delete the whole thing. My cold idle and start up haven't been affected. I live a couple miles from the interstate or a highway, so my engine is warmed up before I romp on it anyway.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It gets pretty cold up here and with it or without it I don't notice any difference except worse fuel mileage. When its real cold it does stay activated while driving but will open when you hit the pedal hard enough. Id say leave it in if its not leaking but unplug it. Sometimes when the orings go they start with just a slow leak and get worse and sometimes they're a complete blowout that'll leave you stranded. Thats the benefit of deleting it. Peace of mind. One of those things that may never happen or might happen tomorrow. I think its more of an issue in the real cold climates. I've seen 2 7.3s stranded because of complete ebpv oring blowouts

Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Trucky2
Senior User
One plus for keeping your EBPV is if you ever plan to use the decel tune on a DP tuner. It does a pretty good job of slowing down the mass for cheap. Even when I'm empty I find myself using a lot here in the mountains. Several hills I used to have to ride the brakes all the way don't even get a touch with the decel set.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
I have a power elbow on mine, got rid of that junk 6 years ago, big difference. JMOP

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by UP_There
Thank you Greg......so in a nutshell, there is NO performance gain by doing the EBPV delete? It sounds like no, since it is de-activated by touching the brake pedal at idle. I've been a stranger around here for awhile so I'm a bit rusty.....but I do recall a tube I cleaned out, that helped the valve work better
In a nutshell yes. However, there are EBPV delete kits available that claim to have improved flow compared to the stock elbow. I imagine those do perform as advertised so it's possible to obtain a performance increase by using one of those products. Most people that delete their valve just gut the stock elbow and continue on their merry way.

If you plan on towing heavy, then you might consider using it as an exhaust brake. It works really well for me and my service brakes are quite thankful. At over 24k lbs gross, I can descend from the Mogollon Rim towards Payson and never touch the service brakes until Star Valley. If you are familiar with that part of Arizona you will know it's quite a elevation drop (about 2500 ft).

Cleaning the tube allows the sensor to function properly which gives accurate info to the PCM so your engine can run better. You still have to keep the sensor even if you delete the valve because the PCM needs to monitor that information. Your engine has exhaust back pressure even with the valve open (or removed) so that sensor really functions independently from the valve.

Hope this info helps.

(Side note: Are you guys ready for the flood of flat landers coming up for NAU graduation on Saturday? I'll be part of that group. )

Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
DB Guy
Junior User
No measurable gain by deleting it... Like others have said. If its not deactivating when your driving then your EBP sensor is plugged or not working. In cold conditions the EBPV will come on and off even if your driving, when not on the accelerator. Once you hit the go pedal it should open.

I loved mine, until I went with the 1.15 housing and then on to a H2e...