Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Senior User

rivrrunner is starting off with a positive reputation.
fuel bowl drain leaking

ever since I replaced old screen type fuel filter w/ new paper filter I have a slow leak from my drain tube....any ideas?

E 99 F350 CC LB SRW 4X4...6637/Pete's,CCV,DFA CCK,HPX,17*HPOP,Zoodad,TruCool4739-1,Warn hubs,Toyo M/T 315/75/16, 4" lift,5" SP, 4 pod "A" pillar, shift kit, ITP OBA, DP-Tuner,NS,S,HI,40 T, Dcel, 60T, 80 E, 120 R, 140 AGG, PAA # 49
Old 05-12-2011, 05:39 PM
SUPER size it!

UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
Sounds like the valve wore out, the filter inside would'nt cause a leak. I chased a fuel leak down recently that ended up being a hole worn in the fuel line underneath the bowl

PAA #5
2000 F250 Crew Cab with a few goodies
Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Postmaster

rat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to behold
Jim Jam Sanders
Riffraff Diesel: Complete Fuel Bowl Seal Kit
did this last year best money ive spent on PM in a while

edit: i know guzzle has it to but couldnt find it on his site (same kit though)
Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Either you didn't close the drain valve all the way or the o-rings are leaking. Here is a link to for replacement parts.
Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

You will see a link for installation instructions at the bottom of that page. It's a pretty easy fix.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Riffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant futureRiffraff Performance has a brilliant future
/pages/Riffraff-Diesel/103160771064 riffraffdiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrunner View Post
ever since I replaced old screen type fuel filter w/ new paper filter I have a slow leak from my drain tube....any ideas?
I see your in Portland. If you order by 4:45pm we can get it to you tomorrow UPS Ground.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance View Post
I see your in Portland. If you order by 4:45pm we can get it to you tomorrow UPS Ground.
Dang! That's some awesome service!
Reps if I could....
Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Senior User

jtybt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not too bad on a truck. Now a van will get you talkin' to yourself.
DP Tuner F5....RiffRaff-FRX
In-tank mod with Racor pre-filter
Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Posting Guru

Tailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud of
What you need is simply two (2) #202 O-rings, and a Torx bit set to remove the four screws on the drain valve assembly. You *may* want an angled pick to break the seal around the drain hose as they tend to stick onto the metal tube over the years. Just run the pick around the inside to break the seal.

You should use VITON material O-rings if you can get them, but in a pinch you can put rubber O-rings in temporarily until you can order some viton one's online. I think I paid $5 for 25? It was some years ago.

Cheap fix, simple to do, but frustrating if your hands are bigger than a chipmunk's.
HERS: 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Dark Green, DP Tuner, T500, RR FrX, AutoMeter gauges, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Walker BTM, Dahl 100, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, AIH delete, Hellwig swaybar, KYB shocks, Amsoil Bypass / fluids, Hutch Mod
HIS: 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Chestnut, BTS Tranny, T500, RR FrX, AutoMeter gauges, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, WW, AIH delete, KYB shocks, Hellwig swaybar, Melling LPOP, Bellowed Uppipes, Hutch Mod, EBPV Delete
Old 05-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Senior User

rivrrunner is starting off with a positive reputation.
ya know iv'e been working like a sled dog and have had zero time lately.... but I knew I could post here and get the answer without a second thought.

Clay, I'm currently in Dickinson ND and will order after I look at it Sunday.

Thank you all!!!!

Brian

E 99 F350 CC LB SRW 4X4...6637/Pete's,CCV,DFA CCK,HPX,17*HPOP,Zoodad,TruCool4739-1,Warn hubs,Toyo M/T 315/75/16, 4" lift,5" SP, 4 pod "A" pillar, shift kit, ITP OBA, DP-Tuner,NS,S,HI,40 T, Dcel, 60T, 80 E, 120 R, 140 AGG, PAA # 49
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Get the blue ones from Guzz.

The best there is, and likely the very last time you'll ever do that job.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 05-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate77478 View Post
What you need is simply two (2) #202 O-rings, and a Torx bit set to remove the four screws on the drain valve assembly. You *may* want an angled pick to break the seal around the drain hose as they tend to stick onto the metal tube over the years. Just run the pick around the inside to break the seal.

You should use VITON material O-rings if you can get them, but in a pinch you can put rubber O-rings in temporarily until you can order some viton one's online. I think I paid $5 for 25? It was some years ago.

Cheap fix, simple to do, but frustrating if your hands are bigger than a chipmunk's.
There is actually a third o-ring on the valve stem itself that can leak and should be replaced when you replace the two outer seals. Guzzle's/RiffRaff's kit has you covered.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 05-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Posting Guru

SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.
I just did this fix, and beware that you need a small ratchet and the correct Torx bit - you cannot use a Torx screwdriver (of the sort used for GM headlight trim). It took a bit longer than I expected, due to the access issues, but the kit and instructions (from dieselorings) were outstanding.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Posting Guru

Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrunner View Post

If your o-rings are leaking at the drain valve, then it is time to replace all of your fuel bowl o-rings. You can over haul your fuel bowl in a couple of hours with the kit from Guzzle and his step by step instructions.

Welcome to guzzle's Powerstroke Fuel Bowl Rebuild Web Page

PAA Member #123
1991 F-150 inline 6
2001 F-250 7.3 Crewcab 4x4
BTS-Trans , 6.0 Trans Cooler, SuperChip, K&N Filter
Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 73, 95, asemmgly, bowl, change, diesil, drain, f350, fuel, leak, leaking, seals, tube, valve