6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Super cab vs Crew cab ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:49 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahoy matee...Capt. PITS from the SS SuperDuty sailing around a town near you.

Crew cab and long bed have their advantages and disadvantages but the advantages far outweigh the dis.

My father told me "you can always fit a short bed into the back of a long bed but you can never fit a long bed into a short bed". Same goes true for a super cab vs. a crew cab..

Yes, you will get slightly worse milage and you will forego ever finding a parking place on the street but you will have room for your stuff when you need it, room for the dog and future kids, and room to haul 25% more stuff than a short bed like dog food, baby diapers and 4'x8' sheets of plywood and drywall to build more rooms for said dogs and kids as necessary.

And they look like a real truck.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:18 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I like short bed four door..fits in garage

SEE my gallery

Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
jermort
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My last truck was a SC short bed (2000) and I really loved the look of the truck. My KR is a crew cab short bed. I would never go back to a SC. The extra room in the back seat area is very useful and a much better ride if carrying passengers.
I will say though, the steering is slower on the KR CC than my old XLT SC. Don't think that is a factor of crew cab but more of updated steering box.

jammer

Old 05-12-2011, 06:50 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I, too, have owned both types. The last three have been Crew cabs and I would never go back to a SC.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 PM
baylessbell
New User
My wife and kids made it real clear that we HAD to have the crew cab after they sat in one.We have 2 kids still at home and a grandaughter who's here a lot but they have plenty of room in the back even with a big carseat. The 8 foot bed makes it a little tougher to go into Houston (parking garages are a nightmare so I take my wifes jeep for that) but being able to put a sportsman 800 and the BBQ pit in the bed is worth it. The rest of the guys are right about the occasional curb checks since roads are small in some places. It's still worth the extra room and capacity. My wife goes from her jeep to my f350 and doesnt have any trouble at all, except for the fact that she wants that 6.7 put into the jeep.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:57 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
They usually win

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Normally (just me and sometimes a passenger) my SC short bed fits my needs.
I ordered this truck before these 6.7L were on any dealer lot so I never did drive one.
I rarely use the back seats of any vehicle but I didn't realize how much of a joy this truck is to drive.
So, I prefer to take it on any out of town trips and the CC would be nice at that point.
Still happy with my truck but I'll have a CC next time.

As far as looks, this is my opinion.
The short bed looks best with the super cab and the long bed looks best with the crew cab.
Yes of course requirements and limitations outweigh looks.
If you must park it in your home garage and don't need a long bed then I would get over my opinion of having a short bed on a crew cab easily enough.

I'm only 5' 7" and I sit with my seat moved all the way back so the single fold up seat behind mine is always folded up (also where I keep cargo straps, tools, etc.)
For those of you over 6 feet, that's something if I'm sitting all the way back.
It's been a year since I've driven a crew cab F250 so maybe the SC front seats don't move back as far as a CC or the 2010's allowed more room than the '11 trucks (I'll have to test someday).

Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Have always had crew with LB. This time I was considering the crew with short bed, but the smaller fuel tank with the SB made that a no go.

For me, there is no other choice but the crew. Dogs/ people....it is so roomy. I do get more exercise when I park it, that's for sure.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
To me, the super cab doors were a pain in the **** to get out of/deal with in a tight parking lot....
Really?, I never thought of it that way. My thinking would be that it would be easier to put "stuff" in or out without having to walk around another left hand opening door IMO. In keeping with the tread, just because of the extra room, I would definately go with the CC.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dixoncity
Really?, I never thought of it that way. My thinking would be that it would be easier to put "stuff" in or out without having to walk around another left hand opening door IMO. In keeping with the tread, just because of the extra room, I would definately go with the CC.
For me, it was a pain getting kids in and out of the back of the SC (in tight spaces mind you). I usually made them crawl up over the front center seat/console and out the front doors.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
farmerdave
Senior User
If you go with the short box- really cogitate about how big of a tool box you need. I like the small 5 drawer box near the tailgate for my wrenches/sockets/plyers and a footlocker size box near the cab for breaker bars/cordless tools/bulky crap.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Joe Bloomingdale
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I currently have a supercab and for towing the kids around it is terrible, two kids and all their crap doesn't work real well. But on the plus we use my wife's Explorer everywhere we go and that means no lollipop sticks or spilled anything in my truck. What may seem like inconvience has kept my truck real nice for a long time.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 PM
ninerM1000
Senior User
I went from a 05 chevy crew short box to this '11 crew long box and my ford feels shorter than chevy. These fords turn so sharp. I was looking at getting a shortbox when this truck came along. No regrets. Fits in my 24' garage at home and I can still walk behind it to get around. My dad bought the '11 super longbox and we both agree mine looks more like a truck should. (The lift might help!)The back up camera is a must though I would say,makes backing around parking lots easier.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Edit, never mind.
You meant super cab.
I briefly couldn't figure out what a super longbox was and typed too soon!

Last edited by kper05; 05-13-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Edit, didn't read it correctly the first time.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 AM
mpd579
Junior User
CC for me.....had a super cab F-150 never going back CC all the way

Quick Reply: Super cab vs Crew cab ??