1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front rubber brake line

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Front rubber brake line

I am needing to replace the left front wheel cylinder. How do you unscrew the rubber line? I have it loose on the back of the cylinder but it is just twisting the rubber line and it turns back after I turn it. I have not been able to get it loose from the frame. I am about to just cut it. I am getting so frustrated.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi I just replaced the rubber lines and cylinders on my 54 M-350, here goes, hope I can explain this properly.
You must unscrew the hard line from the rubber line on the inside of the frame. You should use a proper fitting wrench to do this. I didn't have one the right size so had to use a crows foot, it worked ok also. Once the hard line is undone there should be a large nut, 15/16" I think, holding the end of the rubber line in the frame. Undo this nut, should be able to hold the outside with a 5/8" wrench, and take the line out of the frame rail, then you can screw the hose out of the wheel cylinder. Hope this helps. 53 should be the same as 54.
Good Luck.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
THanks old ugly that makes sense.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Another option since you are going to replace the wheel cyl. anyway is to remove the two bolts holding the wheel cylinder to the backing plate. Then pull the line through the backing plate and screw the cyl. off the line. Install the new wheel cyl. in reverse sequence. I assume your are going to reuse the rubber brake line.

Gil

Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Originally Posted by gdgerland
Another option since you are going to replace the wheel cyl. anyway is to remove the two bolts holding the wheel cylinder to the backing plate. Then pull the line through the backing plate and screw the cyl. off the line. Install the new wheel cyl. in reverse sequence. I assume your are going to reuse the rubber brake line.

Gil
Hey - Good short cut if your not replacing hoses or can't undo the hard line.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Status - I took the cylinder loose like you suggested old ugly and turned it to get it out. Got the new one in. I noticed the line was loose at the frame. Could not get it to tighten up so I took it apart there. I think I will replace the rubber line since I have it apart. It looks ok but I do not know if it has ever been changed. Is there anything new and better that can replace the rubber hose or is that what has to be used since there needs to be flexibility?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pappys53
Status - I took the cylinder loose like you suggested old ugly and turned it to get it out. Got the new one in. I noticed the line was loose at the frame. Could not get it to tighten up so I took it apart there. I think I will replace the rubber line since I have it apart. It looks ok but I do not know if it has ever been changed. Is there anything new and better that can replace the rubber hose or is that what has to be used since there needs to be flexibility?
Hi again. It was actually gdgerland's suggestion to thread the cyl. off the hose, good thinking.
You could put a flat washer behind the large nut as a spacer to tighten the frame fitting and it wouldn't be noticeable. If you are in doubt how old the hoses are they are not very expensive to replace. The front hoses flex a fair bit. They sometimes look good on the outside but separate on the inside and will let fluid into the cyl. but not let it return causing brake drag. I paid $16.12 ea. for replacements at my local parts store but they give me about a 20% discount on all my parts and they are not exactly like originals, but are Raybestos and U.S. made. For the cost I would personally replace them, but to each his own.
I believe there are braided stainless steel ones available but don't know where and don't know if they are any better but look nicer, they can still separate internally and of course are more expensive.
Hope this helps - Good Luck

Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 PM
jb50F1
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the hoses block completely while looking fine on the outside. If you have it apart, I would go ahead and replace them. I got mine at NAPA and they were not very expensive.