1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front driveshaft and transfer case problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
front driveshaft and transfer case problems

ok ive been hearing this clunk sound all winter with the 4wd on. So today i figured i would install new u-joints and grease the front slip shaft on my front driveshaft.
Problem 1- the 8mm bolts would not come out of the front u clamps that hold the driveshaft to the front axle so i had to cut two off, SO does anyone know where i can buy these bolts and the clamps? My local dealer said you have to buy the whole driveshaft to get this!?
Problem 2- my double joint isnt bad but the rubber ball protector thing is split right in the middle? do i have to buy a new double joint or can i just get the rubber piece and the ball and spring seperate?
Problem 3- so i gave up and left my building to go home so i turn the 4wd **** on and its not my driveshaft thats clunking its my TRANSFER CASE! The front driveshaft is out but when the trucks shifts from 1-2 or 2-3 you can hear the transfer case go bang! Since i just changed the fluid to Mobil ATF fluid this december i know its not that its more like their is too much play in the gears inside the transfer case causing the bang to hapen. is this normal to have some play PLUS my slip joint is totally dry and the front ujoint was dry also causing this loud bang.

Im totally lost now, i dont know if i replace the ujoints and ball socket thing and grease the slip joint and install everything will the noise go away some, or is something going bad inside my TCase?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
honestly no more info for me? I've searched and found a few post about front driveshaft problems but thats it!? Of the millions of SD's out there no one has any piece of advice

Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
its nice to know that i can get help when i have a problem but someone can ask about a flippin light bulb and get five pages of answers

Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 AM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found when searching for new U-joints for mine at Advance auto parts that they had the rebuild kits for the ball and socket part of the double cardon joint and also showed the straps and bolts for the joints. Don't have a clue about the bang in your tranny/transfer case though.I can tell you that you will need about 3 more hands to tackle the ball and socket rebuild. Trying to keep the spring compressed without letting the needle bearings fall out while installing the two u-joints is a real bitch.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Your bang in the transfer case and the need to rebuild the U-joint and double cardon joint probably is an indication that your front hubs are locked. If the hubs were working the front drive shaft doesn't spin. The joints associated with the front shaft shouldn't wear out so quickly.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
thanks high ho silver ill go to advanced auto tomorrow, and redford i have warn hubs on my truck and they are in free mode. driving down the street none of my front axles or driveshaft spin untill i turn the 4wd switch on or i lock the hubs. right now i have the driveshaft out of the front and i can turn the 4wd switch on and as soon as the truck shifts you can hear the transfer case bang with the shift, but if i turn it back to 2wd its fine so i know its the tcase making the noise.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
i have a update, i bought a brand new OEM transmission mount and installed it yesterday. It got rid of the first start thud from a red light i was having so thats good, i went home after the test drive and reinstalled my front drive shaft. when i shift to 4wd and the truck shifts i still get that dam thud from the front shaft! but before anyone says anything i went Saturday to my local tow company that works on our fuel deliver trucks they fix trucks and for 50 bucks the mechanic checked my front drive shaft rear drive shaft and checked the gear lash. All was in spec and he put this very thick drive shaft grease on my slip shafts. what a difference that made over the junk Mobil1 grease i have been packing in there. he did say the trucks do have slack in the driveline and added on top of that that i have t valve body and 4.30 gears and smallish 285 75r16 tires it can be that my truck is getting a little on the high side of the allowed slack in the driveline??