Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2011 Shudder at 5 kph

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:15 PM
turbotuner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know someone with a 2010 with the shudder from dead stop the dealer replaced torque convertor solved the problem 40k returned around returned around 80k they told him torque convertor again. He is selling vehicle so I can't say if that fixed it the second time.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:14 PM
fringe_remnant
New User
Rolled up alongside a black 2016 the other night and asked the driver where he 'got that piece of crap'... after the initial exchange of unpleasantries he asked me 'how I liked it'. 'Fine' I said, 'Except for the incessant driveline NVH'..... he said 'I've got the same damn thing!'

Apparently we are not the only ones. And the funny thing is, Ford is obfuscating, trying to hide any recognizance of the problem.

If you have this let me know, as I have a tech at Cruickshank Ford in Weston who is running this down for me, via Fab Fiocco, GTAMC past president and Raptor owner:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Mr. Ford Dealer;

Thanks for seeing me the other day about my new F150 NVH problems.

I've pretty well isolated the driveline vibration issues I have in the vehicle, noticeable from new when driven off the lot. The symptoms continue to grow stronger. It can rattle loose parts in doors and rear slider windows.

I know that the torque converter clutch is engaged hydraulically through a passage in the input shaft. This hydraulic pressure, in turn, is applied under control of a solenoid inside the transmission pan. The solenoid is grounded by the PCM to bring about a lockup.

In my vehicle it feels like a subtle rumbling or shuddering of the truck while driving down a smooth road, sort of a bit like driving on rain grooves. Usually during very slight loading and acceleration. Hard acceleration or a heavy load may mask the symptom. None of the NVH is coming out of the tires or stiff shocks Its all coming forward of the transmission. The engine is fine. CV's are fine.

The Torque Converter appears to be engaging and disengaging continually and it is apparent under light loads from 40kph on up though 110, most obviously at 80-90kph. Under heavy loads the feeling disappears. Most of my driving is under very light loads... 1500-2000 RPM. If I am accelerating very lightly and it disengages and I apply gas to the engine I can make the TC screech like a banshee.

It could be a solenoid problem but there may be a variety of problems all contributing.

From the internet:

Common Causes of Torque Converter Problems

There are a few reasons why problems can occur. Don’t assume what the problem is until you have your transmission looked at, but here are some general ideas of what it could be.

1./ Damaged needle bearings – This is a common problem you’ll see, needle bearings are what separates the stator, impeller, turbine, and converter housing. If they happen to become damaged, it will cause the transmission to make strange noises while driving. This is because there is metal to metal contact between the parts in the converter, which in turn creates metal chips that the transmission fluid picks up and cycles around the transmission.

2./ Damaged torque converter seals – A damaged torque converter seal will allow fluid to leak out of the converter which will cause a number of problems, such as overheating, slippage, and shifting problems. The seal will need to be found and replaced.

3./ Damaged torque converter clutches – Just like with manual transmissions, automatics have clutches too although they are located throughout the transmission as well as part of the torque converter assembly. Torque converter clutch failure will occur when it becomes jammed from locking up due to distortion, or if they burn from high heat temperatures. They can even break under severe conditions. If the clutches become stuck, your car will stay in gear even when you come to a complete stop.

4./ Torque converter clutch solenoid – The torque converter clutch solenoid is an electronic component that controls the amount of fluid that is passed on to the torque converter clutch. If it malfunctions, too much or too little fluid will be released which will cause abnormal fluid pressures. This will lead to irregular behavior such as poor fuel economy and stalling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to get this fixed before other parts like planetary gears, input and stator shafts start to wear. The shuddering is getting stronger over 6500 kms and I can feel it starting top creep out of the TC location forward of the transmission now. At highway speeds power is noticeably diminishing in rolls ons. I'm having trouble with fuel use... nothing less than 16.0 km's on average now when 14.5 is the norm for my driving.

Transmission temperatures are fine as we have observed.

Best regards,

FR

Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Rolas
New User
I have a 2011 ford ecoboost 4x4 crewcab short bed with shudder issues. I took her to the dealer and explained the issue, shudder in 1st gear for a few seconds and then gone. Every time i stop and go i get the same shudder. Dealer ended up replacing the driveshaft and no succeses, at that point they told me there was nothing they could do at that time. To wait until ford came up with a solution. Anybody find a solution yet!!?

Old 05-10-2017, 02:57 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Originally Posted by Rolas
I have a 2011 ford ecoboost 4x4 crewcab short bed with shudder issues. I took her to the dealer and explained the issue, shudder in 1st gear for a few seconds and then gone. Every time i stop and go i get the same shudder. Dealer ended up replacing the driveshaft and no succeses, at that point they told me there was nothing they could do at that time. To wait until ford came up with a solution. Anybody find a solution yet!!?

Had my Transmission mount replaced with one from a Raptor and no more issues. Give that a try, keep the receipt and IF ford ever recalls them, get reimbursed.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:12 PM
foxtrac
New User
same with me. they put a raptor tranny mount on it & no more problem. must be a stiffer mount than stock.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Chad T. Keogh
Senior User
Originally Posted by cwendel
I have a 2011 SCREW 5.5' bed with the 3.73 elocker. It is going in tonight to have a howl in the rear checked.
But to the point, Mine has this when cold, shudder from start in first. My cure, turn off the damn traction control. The shudder goes away to the point I do not notice it. It does feel like a poorly adjusted choke, for those old enough to know. The engine seems to have a slight bog. That is also the sign of a miss, classic misdiagnosis of a blown first gear in an a-matic.

My old 2007 silverado had this problem. It seems the manufacturers are now adding a soft blow to the throttle map for these electronically controlled motors that leads to the shudder and crappy low speed throttle response. The chevy did not have the switch, but my wonderful for does. The manufacturers call this feature torque management. It is designed to reduce the load on the drivetrain and stop breaking weak parts they do not want to beef up. This would fit with the old hesitation problem an ignition miss will create at take off. Have this in my 2000 gmc 5.3l but am not in the mood to chase it with lots of expensive parts.

The other cause could be the torque converter locking and unlocking as the PCM adjusts the setting to get the truck moving. This would be a design flaw.

And if you live in NJ, send a letter to FORD about having the truck fixed twice to no avail and giving them a third chance. The third chance is the first step to a lemon law process on the truck. Been through it with a SATURN.
That MAP sensor idea seems to be bang on for my 1999 F-150 Lariat, 5.4L. I just replaced my MAP after 354,000kms and now I have a slight (1-2 second shudder on light accel from a stop). I don't think my battery was disconnected when installing it, so my truck hasn't done a full re-learn with the new sensor.

I will disconnect the battery and re-boot everything Saturday or Sunday and let you know if it goes away.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Chad T. Keogh
Senior User
Finally got around to disconnecting the battery and resetting the computer. After about 100kms of it re-learning, no more shudder. Even seems to have a little more power on acceleration with the new MAP now.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:38 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Hello folks. I am on the classic forum here but my son has a 2011 Screw 5.0 with 160K and single drive shaft. A friend of his changed the differential fluid the other day and here is what has happened:

The truck started to have a very slight shudder on take off first thing in the morning (engine cold) and very quickly goes away around 10 mph and does not return. No towing. In the afternoon leaving from work it will do the same shudder and go away until the next morning. We checked the differential fluid and I found it was low. (Another story). We had to add about half of the recommended amount to fill it. I used Valvoline LS 75W-140 and it has friction modifier in it to complete the fill. Axle code H9. The truck was driven about 250 miles with the low fluid amount. The truck is still doing it and has never done it before the fluid change. It is more of a concern than a mechanical problem at this point. In reviewing this thread there are many ideas but this seems unique to what has been posted. If anyone has any ideas or input it would be appreciated. Happy to answer any questions also. Thanks Sandy