2011 Shudder at 5 kph

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:37 PM
rucraz2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will do

Originally Posted by FordService
Let me know when you're ready to have the dealer check out this shudder, rucraz2; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager so they can help. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
Certainly will, How far in advance do you think you will need?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:45 PM
rucraz2
New User
Not sure?

So reading more into this thread (I only read a few pages the other day) I am not certain I have the same issue as the rest are describing, Mine feels more like it is cutting out at times. More at highway speeds that I notice. Some of the time I couldn't tell if it was just the road I was on. But I have felt it a few times at low speeds, 65-70 and really noticable when going from 65 down to 55 range for a few miles. It doesn't feel like it would be more of a vibrating shutter like I have seen in the vids posted. Mine feels more like a random shutter similar to an injector or misfire. I guess I will keep my hopes up that that's all it is. And it doesn't happen all the time either. So my luck when I take it in. They wont find anything.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:34 AM
rksteel
New User
New to the shudder club, when accelerating from a stop and the violent shaking when slowing to a stop from highway speeds.

I own a 2011 FX2 SCrew, 5.0, 3.55 axle and a 6.5 bed. Started about 30k miles over the winter.

Had the clutch packs replaced in May. Did not fix problem. Went to upstate NY last week, drove 200 miles before stopping, I thought the rear end was going to detach from the way the truck was shaking while I was slowing down.

Dealer looked at it when I returned, going to replace the driveshaft. We'll see how that works. There is a tsb for the problem TSB-14-0090.

Wife's suggestion is to buy a 2015 F150 w/ a short bed.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:08 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rksteel
...Dealer looked at it when I returned, going to replace the driveshaft. We'll see how that works. There is a tsb for the problem TSB-14-0090...
Welcome to the forum, rksteel; please come back and tell us what you hear from the dealer. What's the current mileage on your truck? I'll do all I can to help.

Crystal

Old 08-03-2015, 11:31 AM
rksteel
New User
Welcome to the forum, rksteel; please come back and tell us what you hear from the dealer. What's the current mileage on your truck? I'll do all I can to help.

Crystal
31,353. I asked the dealer if it would be a one-piece drive shaft, he did not confidently reply yes.
Is there a one-piece drive shaft for the 157" WB? Thanks.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
31,353. I asked the dealer if it would be a one-piece drive shaft, he did not confidently reply yes.
Is there a one-piece drive shaft for the 157" WB? Thanks.
Hi rksteel,

You can enter your VIN at our Ford Parts site to check: http://www.fordparts.com You could also reach out to the parts department at your dealership directly; I know they'd be happy to look into this for you.

Crystal

Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 AM
rksteel
New User
Okay, the drive shaft was replaced on 8/7, went to PA over the weekend, good test since the worst shudder occurs after I drive for awhile.
As expected, the low speed shudder is still there. Bed wasn't under a significant load, so while slowing down there was not the violent shudder, just the accelerating shudder.
As an added bonus, while turning left or right at a slow speed, truck makes a moaning noise; the shudder starts once you straighten out.
So after driving 7 hours yesterday, unpacked the truck and drove to my dealer. Took the service manager out so he could hear/feel the problem, which he did.
Truck is going back for service on Monday. ????

Old 08-19-2015, 08:48 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Okay, the drive shaft was replaced on 8/7, went to PA over the weekend, good test since the worst shudder occurs after I drive for awhile.
As expected, the low speed shudder is still there. Bed wasn't under a significant load, so while slowing down there was not the violent shudder, just the accelerating shudder.
As an added bonus, while turning left or right at a slow speed, truck makes a moaning noise; the shudder starts once you straighten out.
So after driving 7 hours yesterday, unpacked the truck and drove to my dealer. Took the service manager out so he could hear/feel the problem, which he did.
Truck is going back for service on Monday. ????
I know that going back for multiple service appointments can be frustrating, rksteel; I want to loop in your regional customer service manager so they can assist in resolving this. Since you're a new member, you may not have PM access yet. If that's the case, email your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership to custserv@ford.com. Be sure to put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line. This email address isn't actively monitored, so please post here once you've sent the message.

Crystal

Old 08-19-2015, 11:13 AM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
Just as information from what I have found on my own:
I have the 157" WB and have replaced the too-soft Ford rear springs with aftermarket springs (Deaver,11 leaf)and readjusted the pinion angle of the rear axle at the same time. Additionally I re-geared the differentials to 4.11/1.

I have 35" tires, heavy aftermarket bumpers, and usually a load of tools and other heavy stuff in the truck... no more "shudder" is noticed... even when pulling my boat.

I still have the factory drive shaft, but the integral carrier bearing has gone dry and I anticipate having to replace before the 100,000 mile mark, there is no way to grease it and no way to replace just the carrier without replacing that section of drive shaft (thanks for another one Ford) so I have my drive-line shop making a new drive shaft with a replaceable carrier for less than my dealer is selling the Ford drive shafts.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 PM
rksteel
New User
I know that going back for multiple service appointments can be frustrating, rksteel; I want to loop in your regional customer service manager so they can assist in resolving this. Since you're a new member, you may not have PM access yet. If that's the case, email your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership to custserv@ford.com. Be sure to put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line. This email address isn't actively monitored, so please post here once you've sent the message.

Crystal
Crystal, sent an email w/ the info to custserv@ford. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:49 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal, sent an email w/ the info to custserv@ford. Thanks for your help.
Got it and sent you a reply, rksteel. Thanks for reaching out!

Crystal

Old 08-21-2015, 02:38 PM
rksteel
New User
Got it and sent you a reply, rksteel. Thanks for reaching out!

Crystal
Sent the add'l info. thanks.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:10 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Sent the add'l info. thanks.
You're welcome, rksteel. I sent over your case information this morning. Be sure to post here with any news.

Crystal

Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
rksteel
New User
Fingers Crossed

Got the truck back on Tuesday. Had to replace the clutch plates again, allegedly a bad set. Plates appeared to be rubbing together and wearing, which I guess caused the shudder and moan noise.

Well, so far, so good. After 50 miles, no noise or shudder and drives smooth.

Hopefully this is it.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Got the truck back on Tuesday. Had to replace the clutch plates again, allegedly a bad set. Plates appeared to be rubbing together and wearing, which I guess caused the shudder and moan noise.

Well, so far, so good. After 50 miles, no noise or shudder and drives smooth.

Hopefully this is it.
Awesome news, rksteel; thanks for coming back and sharing your results! If you need any help in the future, you know where to find me.

Crystal

Quick Reply: 2011 Shudder at 5 kph