Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Junior User

Phobia16V is starting off with a positive reputation.
Strange problem with dual gas tanks.

I apologize in advance for this being so long, but without my drawn-out explanation, it wont make and sense. Hang in there.

This one is odd, and has me completely baffled. Perhaps someone can shed some light on the situation for me.

In preparation for a bit of a road trip today(a multiple junkyard run...more on that in another thread), I filled up both gas tanks last night. Drove home from the gas station on the front tank, no problem.

This morning I left the house to pick up a friend of mine, again, fueling from the front tank, no problem...until I got to his house and shut the truck off. Gas started gushing back up the filler neck, and somehow managed to get past the check valve in the gas cap, and was dumping all over the ground. Turning the truck back on stopped the flow, but by that time, I had probably lost a gallon and a half on the ground. As a precautionary measure, I switched it to the rear tank(truck still running), and lo and behold, it started gushing out of the front tank again. I resigned myself to have to drive on the front tank for the duration of the trip, and hope that I burned up enough fuel by the time we got to our destination that it wouldn't happen again.

Luckily, the gamble paid off. By the time we stopped a hour and a half later, all was well...almost. I had been driving on the front tank for over 100 miles(heading north), and the fuel gauge still read over the full mark. It didn't make much sense, so when we left the first junkyard, I decided to switch to the rear tank, just to see what happened. Guess what? The fuel gauge dropped down to just over the 1/2 mark. At this point I'm completely baffled. I had driven well over 100 miles on the front tank(or so I thought), yet the truck had been drawing from the rear tank. With the switch set to the rear tank, there was a faint smell of gasoline in the cab, so I decided to stick with it on the front tank, and do periodic checks on the rear tank.

Ather 100 miles into our trek(to our most northward point and back south again) the rear tank was showing less than 1/8, so instead of taking a chance that it wouldn't pull from the front tank, I decided to stop and fill up the rear. And(not to my surprise at all, given the bizarre nature of the problem), the rear tank was indeed near empty. I filled it up, and decided against topping off the front tank, for fear of another leak. Back on the road, switch set to the front tank(as I was still getting the smell of fuel when it was set to the rear), I paid no attention until about an hour later, and I noticed that the tank showed 3/4. Profanity Removed So I switched to the rear tank again, and the gauge shot right back up to full. A few back-and-forths of the switch confirmed that the level of the front tank had indeed decreased, meaning that it was actually pulling fuel from the front tank, which was not happening before.

This is the point I got to before I became frustrated with trying to figure out what was going on, and ask the experts. HELP!
Old 03-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,
Go to your friendly neighbourhood Ford dealer and have them do a 01M05 Owner Notifcation on your truck. The bulletin says the program has expired but I seem to remember that it had been extended again. If not you'd have to pay
Here is what the 01M05 is.........

SUBJECT: Owner Notification Program 01M05 - All 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993 Model Year F-Series Vehicles equipped with Dual Fuel Tanks and 4.9, 5.0, 5.8 or 7.5 Liter Engine - Fuel Cross-Flow Extended Coverage

OASIS:
Yes

OWNER LIST:
Yes

PARTS RETURN:
No

PROGRAM TERMS:
This additional coverage program extends the coverage for potential fuel cross-flow to 12 years of service or 150,000 miles from the vehicle's warranty start date, whichever occurs first. This coverage will automatically transfer to subsequent owners. If a vehicle already has more than 150,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2001.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

All 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993 model year F-Series vehicles equipped with a 4.9, 5.0, 5.8, or 7.5 Liter gasoline fueled engine and dual fuel tanks.

REASONS FOR THIS PROGRAM

A very small number of the affected vehicles may experience a cross tank fuel flow condition due to a damaged check valve in the fuel pump/sender assembly. Fuel may be supplied from one tank and some or all of the unused fuel may be returned to the other tank. Should this occur, the capacity of the receiving tank may be exceeded and fuel may overflow from the filler cap.

SERVICE ACTION

If the customer reports a fuel cross-flow condition:

A. For vehicles with either 93S68 or 00S57 open in OASIS:

Perform 93S68 or 00S57 (whichever is open.)
Release vehicle (No 01M05 action required.)
B. For vehicles which do not have 93S68 or 00S57 open in OASIS:

Check the fuel pressure and inspect for kinked lines; correct as necessary.
A new external check valve will be installed between each fuel supply line and fuel tank. (On chassis cab vehicles, the rear fuel tank will receive a new Fuel Delivery Module instead of a new check valve.)
Old 03-23-2003, 02:54 AM
Junior User

chris93 is starting off with a positive reputation.

these trucks were first recalled for the cross flow problem July 14,1993-----A malfuntioning check valve within the fuel pump assembly causes a portion of the unused fuel from one tank to be returned to the second tank.when this occurs,the capacity of the second tank can be exceeded,causing fuel spillage.---REMEDY-replacement of the fuel pressure regualtor and installation of redundant check valves.---------then,Dec 18,2000the carbon steel fuel pressure regulator can wear out during the life of the vehicle.if the fuel pressure reg malfuntions,it can cause high fuel system pressure,which damages the fuel pump check valve..this allows fuel to be transferred from one tank to the other.---REMEDY--dealers will have a stainless steel fuel press reg installed.------THEN---JULY 19 2001some vehicles can experience a cross tank fuel flow condition due to a damaged check valve in the fuel pump/sender assembly.resultin in what ive done typed twice so i'll skip it this time lol.and the remedy is the obvious.apparently this was for the ones that missed it in 93.--------------However,on my 93 f-150,i dont know if it made the 93 recall but i took it in for the 2001.they put a new fuel press reg and check valves (they claim) in it.i always ran front tank so it was months later that i found out i still had the cross flow problem. A couple weeks ago my front tank fuel pump went out,after replacing that it no longer overflows.My fuel always was from back tank to front tank.hope this helps,you can go to alldata or the NHTSA and search recalls on your specific year
Old 03-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Junior User

Thanks, guys! You've been very helpful! I'll stop by at the dealer this week and talk with them. The truck has just over 160K on the clock, so hopefully they'll cover it.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Elder User

McLeod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Definately dealer recall item. I had mine done on my 93 just last month w/ 140K miles.
The pressure regulator can fail and send gas from one tank into the other tank and cause an overfill situation that you described.

They will more than likely fix on thier dime due to the rampant jury awards of late.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Senior User

dbrown13 is starting off with a positive reputation.

is a safety recall. Unless I'm dead wrong there is no expiration on safety recalls.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Senior User

cmlind is starting off with a positive reputation.

I had a similar problem. Took it in last year and had the check valves replaced under the recall. Didn't fix the problem. I took it back and the dealer replaced both fuel pumps, wire harness, and both tanks under the warranty. What a deal for me. They figured that if they disturbed the tanks, they might start to leak, so replacing them was, in their opinion, better than me coming back again a week later.

It is strange how Ford can't seem to fix this problem. My truck had it fixed under the first recall and then again when I bought it a year ago.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:00 PM
Senior User

mrak is starting off with a positive reputation.

will ford cover the cross flow problem on a 1994?

matt
Old 03-24-2003, 04:15 PM
New User

tinytom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking Strange problem with dual gas tanks.

I just bought my 93 f150 with 223,000 mi.'s on it and my dealer replace my reg. no charge!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Junior User

Both my local dealer and Ford Customer Service have refused to perform the repair under warranty as my vehicle is outside of the alotted time frame and mileage range. The want $210 for the labor(2.5hrs) and $42 for the part. Not satisfied with that answer, I did a bit more research and found this on the NHTSA site:

Quote:
Make : FORD

Model : F150

Year : 1991

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 93V125000

Recall Date : JUL 14, 1993

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1131000

Summary:
A MALFUNCTIONING CHECK VALVE WITHIN THE FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY CAUSES A PORTION OF THE UNUSED FUEL FROM ONE TANK TO BE RETURNED TO THE SECOND TANK. WHEN THIS OCCURS, THE CAPACITY OF THE SECOND TANK CAN BE EXCEEDED, CAUSING FUEL SPILLAGE.

Consequence:
SPILLED FUEL CAN RESULT IN A FIRE WHEN EXPOSED TO ASOURCE OF IGNITION.

Remedy:
REPLACEMENT OF THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR AND INSTALLATION OF REDUNDANT CHECK VALVES.

Notes:
SYSTEM: FUEL; FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY.VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: LIGHT TRUCKS AND CHASSIS CABS WITH GASOLINE ENGINES ANDDUAL FUEL TANKS.NOTE: IF YOUR VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED SERVICEDATE AND THE REMEDY IS NOT CORRECTED WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME WITHOUT CHARGEOR THE REMEDY DOES NOT CORRECT THE SAFETY-RELATED DEFECT OR NONCOMPLIANCE,PLEASE CONTACT FORD'S CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER, 300 RENAISSANCE CENTER,P.O. BOX 43360, DETROIT, MI 48243. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFICSAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.
I'm going to take a copy of this to the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. I'll keep you all up to date.

Thanks again for all of your input!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:58 PM
Junior User

Well, after a bunch of pushing, my local Ford dealer, and Ford itself are still denying me coverage for this issue. The dealer wants alomst $300 to fix the problem, as their "Owner Notification" expired after 150K miles. Futher fighting with Ford Customer Care(yeah...that's a joke), has gotten me nowhere. Tomorrow I will be making my third trip in as many days to the dealership to talk with their Service Director regarding this problem. Over 1.5 million trucks are affected by the exact problem that my truck is having, and, with the exception of being 11K miles over the "extended warranty coverage period" my truck is qualified to have the repairs done as per the recall.

I have called and spoken with the NHTSA, and it is indeed a recall. I filed an official complaint against both Ford and the dealership for their absolute refusal to repair this known safety defect without charge to me, as stated in the recall bulletin posted by NHTSA.

Hopefully the service director will have a more realistic take on the situation then his service writers, and the "customer care representatives" in Ford's call center. Failing that, I think my final resort will be to fill the tanks up, drive it into their service lane, and let it proceed to dump 2 gallons of gasoline on the ground. I hope it doesn't come to that, but that sure is the direction it's heading.

Overall, not a good showing for Ford and it's customer service.

Last edited by Phobia16V; 03-25-2003 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:17 PM
Senior User

mrak is starting off with a positive reputation.

I like the idea... it should be dramatic enough to work. I would show the service director when you meet him. I'll be interested to hear the outcome.

Matt
Old 03-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Senior User

Ironpants is starting off with a positive reputation.

Do NOT forget to take a camera or video recorder to capture the event on film....
Also, park in a location that will really hammer the point home. I would suggest right outside the front doors.

Make sure not to smoke.... unless you really want to be dramatic.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:38 AM
New User

sumi7625 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Strange problem with dual gas tanks.

I am happy that I have found this forum. I have had this problem for ~1 year. SInce discovering this problem, I fill up the rear tank and run on the front. Before I discovered that problem I had a fuel pump burn up in the front tank; burnt wires. Melted my front/back switch which I had to replace and heated up the insertia switch . Scarred me so bad I replaced every fuel pump in the system. Since I did not notice this cross-over problem until after that repair, I assumed the wiring harness had been melted and needed to be fixed. I did not expect that the fuel pumps in both tanks would be running at the same time. Reading your comments will make me reconsider this problem and look elsewhere. I assume that using non-Ford parts will probably void any claims I might have under this recall.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:30 PM
New User

sandulator is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Strange problem with dual gas tanks.

Im having the same problem with a 1988 F-150 super cab. With a 351 W. Does the recall go back that far?
Any Help. I'm tired of switching tanks back and forth.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
01m05, 1991, 93s68, crossflow, delivery, f150, ford, front, fuel, gas, module, overflow, recall, safty, tank