Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Senior User

fattmann is starting off with a positive reputation.
Which diesel for first time project?

Currently looking to pick up a cheap diesel truck off local Craigslist for about $1000. Came across two trucks that I was trying to decide on, wanted to get some expert input on such matters.

Came across a 1990 F250 w/ 7.3l IDI (pretty sure it's IDI..), and a 1984 Chevy with 6.2l (i know a Chebby, hear me out.)

Currently in that whole 'college student trying to save money in the summer' thing. I've been reading up on diesel/biodiesel/WVO stuff for a few years now, and just never pulled the trigger. I'm leaning towards the Ford. But didn't know how accurate my thoughts were:

7.3l- Stronger pump, will handle the viscosity of the VO much better and not snap in half, have heard not nearly as good of mileage.

6.2l- Read that it gets better mileage, but pump is weaker (converse of the Ford), they want like $1500 for it.

This wasn't going to be a big fancy overhaul. Was going run Tank one on Dino, then tank two on VO. Figured I would install a tank heater on tank 2, and a heat exchanger under the hood to keep the viscosity down.

Would i need anything crazier than that? Thinking like Max 1500-1750 into the project.

Looking for thoughts and criticisms.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
You know most of us here are going to say go Ford, but even so the 7.3 is a darn good engine. I just don't here of the 6.2 racking up the miles like the Ford will...
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Freshman User

homelessrdp is starting off with a positive reputation.
FORD is what i would pick
Old 05-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
In your climate you are asking for headaches with your planned 'VO conversion'. The 6.2 is a disposable turd - the only good thing is they are simple and cheap to replace.

Get the 7.3 and read my last post in this section - your conversion is very similar to what I described there. If you'll spend $500-1000, depending on how resourceful you are - you will have a true VO 'conversion' that will allow you to run 100% VO (after warm-up) in ANY climate. Factor in ya won't be on the side of the hwy dicking with your horribly 'improvised' modifications and you'll be waaaaay ahead of the game. Do the math - diesel is right at $4/gal right now, you only have to save 250 gallons of diesel to justify 'doing it right'!!!! How long will that take you??

I have a friend here in Tulsa where I'm working who just finished a DIY conversion on a 7.3 IDI. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds really, really nice/well done. I'll ask how much he spent as soon as I talk to him again and may post some pics here when I get over to see it!

I always say, 'Please choose wisely - or post pics of the carnage!'.

Reasons NOT to use 2nd tank for WVO
- if the tank is steel, the VO will polymerize in the tank leaving nasty 'chicken-skin' deposits that will contaminate your whole fuel system
- the stock Pollak switching valve tends to have a short life in VO service
- by using the stock (Pollak) 6way tank switching valve, you will gradually add more and more VO to the diesel tank - every time you switch back to diesel
- sending VO that is not HOT (160*+) to the injectors will lead to carbon build-up/coking in the combustion chamber and downstream of the exhaust valves
- your factory filter does NOT LIKE WVO and will be a constant source of problems
- by putting VO and diesel thru the same filter, you insure the VO is NEVER fully flushed from the IP and injectors. The VO will polymerize and kill the IP eventually
- the VO in the diesel tank has a tendency to separate from the diesel and ends up in the bottom of the tank, right where the fuel pick-up is. You'll be starting your cold engine on cold VO (well, since ya never got all the VO out of filter - you'll be doing this anyway

I gotta go - but there are more reasons not to make this mistake!!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Freshman User

muns53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
7.3 all the way! One of the most grease-friendly and bio-friendly engines you can buy.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Elder User

Marianna2003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The pumps are the same internally. drives are different. Like everyone is saying go with the Ford.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
diesel, ford, time