1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service history on an 05 F250 6.0L - should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
midfel11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service history on an 05 F250 6.0L - should I worry?

I'm looking at a 2005 F250 crew cab with the 6.0L diesel. It has about 81,000 miles on it. The dealer has the majority of the service history on it and I've been reading through that. Tried to summarize it below. Some of these issues I've seen when reading on the 6.0L forum. Do you guys think I should be concerned about some of these causing issues in the future, or should they be mostly taken care of? Any advice is appreciated.

2/13/06 26422 miles
- TSB 05-22-13 (Cold side CAC tube leaking)
- Recall 05E15 (EBP sensor)
- Recall 59B01 (test drive)
- Recall 05B32 (Degas bottle label)
- CD player (SSM 18868)

2/20/06 26793 miles
- Transmission fluid leaking from weld around converter hub
- found pin holes in weld
- Replaced converter.

3/22/06 30461 miles
- Truck acted like it was in neutral then slammed into 1st gear
- Tow/haul light flashin g
- Intermediate shaft sensor was not fully plugged in
- Caused codes P0791, P0794, P0766, P2703
- Reseated connector and cleared codes

10/21/09 61623 miles
- Turbo boost fluctuating 10psi
- Ran EGR test and found high EOT vs ECT (40 degrees difference)
- Installed new oil cooler (TSB 09-8-3)
- Flushed cooling system
- Right rear parking brake siezed

12/31/09 64162 miles
- Customer states truck is lacking power
- Found TSB 09243 and reprogrammed PCM, TCM, FICM
- Checked headgaskets (OK)
- Customer thought he smelled hot oil by front of vehicle
- Found front crank shaft seal leaking
- Found CAM shaft position sensor leaking oil

3/23/10 67144 miles
- Truck wont start
- Codes P0611
- FICM installed wrong
- Customer states won't come out of park properly
- Fuse blown, wire off brake pedal switch shorted

6/28/10 71170 miles
- AC is not working. Another shop replaced the AC and hadn't worked since.
- Found open wire between climate control switch and connector C146
- Brake light is on (since customer installed power inverter)
- Found open wire between cluster and brake fluid level switch in L6 wire
- Replaced dip stick

4/4/11 80966 miles
- This is the take in appointment at the dealership
- Oil change
- Brake system check (front 7mm, rear 2mm)
- Needs rear rotors, pads, calipers
- Red brake light on dash 1105
- Vehicle has aftermarket exhaust system, no catalytic converter on it
- Red brake light on dash (1105)
- Found open circuit on dash between connectors C2206 and C124
- Installed new rear rotors, pads, calipers, bleed system

Old 05-09-2011, 03:29 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't see anything too scary in that report. Every issue seemed to be taken care of on the first attempt. No recurring issues that they cannot find is a good thing.

It has had the pesky oil cooler/EGR cooler repair done. That's a good thing.

Head gaskets checked out. That's a good thing.

The missing cat converter bothers me. I would make them install it for me before I bought it, and I would insist on an OEM unit. Firstly, if this is a dealership, it is illegal for them to sell the vehicle without a cat. Secondly, we have emissions testing here and I would need it (don't now about MN). Actually, this is exactly what happened to me, and the dealer happily installed it for me. Since it was legally required, I had them by the short hairs.

That looks like a good report to me.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:13 PM
midfel11
New User
Thanks a lot bpounds. I am going to ask them about the cat - I assume they put one back in but better check.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:15 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Am I missing it or did they not replace the Egr cooler along with the Oil cooler?? That would be my only concern.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:45 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by sammy77
Am I missing it or did they not replace the Egr cooler along with the Oil cooler?? That would be my only concern.
It is not clear, but TSB 09-8-3 is the correct procedure for that issue. I don't recall if they automatically replace the EGR cooler, or just test it for leaks.

On edit: I just checked the TSB, and if the EGR cooler is not leaking, it is reused. It would be nice if they had changed it, but the oil cooler is the root cause of the problem, and apparently in this case they found it because the vehicle was in the shop for another reason.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:59 PM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
Does yours or the dealers county require emissions? If they do, they would have to pass emission test.
I dont believe they are required to provide the cat IF their county doesnt require it.
(Ive heard that before but Im not sure)

I agree with bpounds... nothing there to scare me away. I would still look into a extended warranty from Ford, nice to have. I bought mine and the FICM went out 2 months later.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
midfel11
New User
I don't have to get my vehicle tested for emissions by the county and/or state so unless the dealer is required to test them before selling, it may be at their discretion to replace the cat or not. Will have to check with them tomorrow.

Dealer wants $3100 for a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty that covers most everything. I know they'll deal a little bit on that price, but not sure how much.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
I would think you might talk them into 2500 or so. You could call another dealer for that also.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Catalytic Converters are required by federal law. States and counties cannot decide that you don't have to have one. They can choose to not enforce it, but you are still required to have it by federal law.

When I bought my truck, the cat had been stripped, and my state did NOT have diesel testing at that time. But I knew the state could start testing at any time, and then 3 years later, we have testing of diesels. My first smog test will be in a few months. I am happy that I made them install that $800 cat at their expense.

Doesn't matter to me what you do, but think on it.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM
midfel11
New User
Called them up this morning and it has one (although they said on diesels they call it something else - same idea I guess). So they must have replaced it during their take in work.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Subscribing

Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by midfel11
Called them up this morning and it has one (although they said on diesels they call it something else - same idea I guess). So they must have replaced it during their take in work.
I don't know what else they would call it, but whatever.

I am assuming that the last paragraph in the report is from when they took the truck in on trade and did the inspection and repairs they felt necessary to offer it for resale. In other words, it is not work you asked them to do, but work they had done before you ever looked at it. If so, replacing the missing cat should have been an automatic, and doing the brakes is a nice bonus.

I'm liking this dealer, and I am liking this truck.

Check out the presence of the cat when you go back to look at the truck. I looks sort of like a bulb (not like a muffler) and is forwardmost on the pipe, just behind where the pipe comes down from the motor. The muffler, if it has one, will be back near the spare tire.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 AM
artsamm
4wd High
Found this warranty info elsewhere, may have been powerstroke.org
Ford Extended Warranty - Genuine Ford ESP

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
I agree sounds like truck problems has been taken care of. When did the truck get put into service? How much are you paying for the truck? I ask cause I'm wondering what I would do in this same case. If it was put into service in 05 then the warranty is over. In a way I could see buying an esp, but I don't I gamble. The way I see it if you buy it the money is spent and if you don't need it before tje time runs out then its lost. If something happens after it runs out you've spent 2 ce the money. Just the way I look at it. On my wifes vechiles she buys the esps. Even though I suggest against it she does. Hey can we see pictures of this truck?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 AM
midfel11
New User
Originally Posted by exiled
I agree sounds like truck problems has been taken care of. When did the truck get put into service? How much are you paying for the truck? I ask cause I'm wondering what I would do in this same case. If it was put into service in 05 then the warranty is over. In a way I could see buying an esp, but I don't I gamble. The way I see it if you buy it the money is spent and if you don't need it before tje time runs out then its lost. If something happens after it runs out you've spent 2 ce the money. Just the way I look at it. On my wifes vechiles she buys the esps. Even though I suggest against it she does. Hey can we see pictures of this truck?
Dealer has a price of $22,999 on it. They go with the "best price" philosophy and don't typically bargain, though I have a little in the past. Don't have any pics to post, but the truck is pretty clean.

I'm also considering getting a 2009 F150 instead. They bumped up the tow rating that year to 9600/9700 lbs for the super crew 4x4 which would work for me. The F150 would be a much better daily driver and I could get one for close to the same price as this, so I'm really thinking about going the F150 route.

Quick Reply: Service history on an 05 F250 6.0L - should I worry?