Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking glow plug trouble

One of my glow plugs mushroomed any tips on removing it would be appriciated

Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll need to pull it out. Get that piston to TDC first, so that if the tip breaks off, it can't fall out of the pre-cup. Soak it down with PB Blaster & let it soak for a while, then lift & turn & hope it comes out intact. If the tip breaks off, here is the procedure:
Originally Posted by PLC7.3
Bring that piston to TDC before doing anything more........ remove the injector and try to fish part out of the gp hole with a long screw....or push the gp part into the precup.........

Now with a good vacuum sucking in the injector hole..... spritz compressed air into the gp hole ......... this should stir up the tip and allow it to be vacuumed out of the injector hole.
Note: this has been done with success on a swelled tip pulled and dropped into the precup....
Timing info.........
The timing mark is found on a little plate that is on the front of the engine on the passenger side. The plate is mounted so it is very close to the main pulley on the lower front of the engine which is mounted on the vibration damper. On the side of the vibration damper, is a line, which when lined up with the line marked (O) on the plate, tells you that the #1 piston is at TDC(top dead center) You can see the line on the damper, and it points to the line on the plate with the (barely visible)O mark on it.You'll have to find a way to turn your engine over by hand (Crank/harmonic balancer bolt). Make sure you remove the power wire to the injection pump(so the engine won't start)and then rotate the engine until you can line up the marks.

The engine rotates in a clockwise direction as seen from the front of the truck, and for every 1/4 turn of the engine(crank) each next piston will arrive at TDC. So, When the line on the vibration damper is at the 2 oclock position, cylinders 2 and 5 will be at TDC. When the mark is at the 5 oclock position, cylinders 7 and 6 will be at TDC, 8 oclock has cylinders 3 and 8 at TDC, and back to 11oclock, 1 and 4 will be at TDC.

Cylinder numbers are assigned 1,3,5,7 on the right (passenger USA) bank from front of truck to back, and 2,4,6,8 on the driver's side (USA), front to back. Firing order is 1,2,7,3,4,5,6,8.

OK all the above is true...... to ensure the #1 piston is at TDC compression remove the inspection cover on the oil filler/gear cover. You will see a dowel pin from the IP if it is at 4 oclock that is TDC compression stroke, if it is at 11 oclock that is TDC exhaust stroke.......

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM
rustybut tuff
Freshman User
well the tip did break off.i was wondering if i drilled a small hole in the old plug and put a screw in it soked it with bp would this be a solution to my problem. and thanx for the tip on top dead center if anything dose go wrong that probly saved my motor

Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What cylinder did the GP break off in? I would go fishin through teh GP hole, if you cant get it, thats going to involve pulling a 125 lbs head.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 AM
rustybut tuff
Freshman User
gees

it was the back one on the passenger side i think its the number 7

Old 05-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

number 7 is always my lucky number, and the worst cylinder on the 6.9 and 7.3....Just get your mark to the 5 o'clock position which will give you 6&7 at TDC.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 AM
rustybut tuff
Freshman User
my truck is 80 miles from home, would i run the risk of knocking the rest of that plug in the motor if i run it home or could i make it home then replace it i replaced all the others on the spot cause mytruck would only run for 15 seconds then spit a cloud of smoke and die. i pried on that plug pulling it out befor it broke.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

I wouldnt run the engine, i would get either your truck towed by Triple A. Or something like that, I have AAA and USAA for my auto-towing, they pretty much tow anything anywhere for me. USAA tows free to anywhere, AAA tows the first 150 miles then charges unless they screw something up then they give you a free tow.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 AM
rustybut tuff
Freshman User
well ill pull the dully and trailor out of the grage and go and fetch it then thanx alout appricciate ur input

Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Yep, You will probably need some way to get it on the trailer, I wouldnt risk even starting it for a few seconds cause if that tip falls into the cylinder, it could smash into the head and piston like I saw happen to a guy when a bolt fell inside his engine and didnt know it. bolt was stamped into the piston and head.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the tip is stuck tight in the hole, it's possible it will stay there, or be blown out by compression. It's also possible it will be sucked in during an intake stroke... If it's sucked in, it's possible it will pass through the exhaust valve, but it's more likely it will end up getting squashed between the piston & head... If it does go through the exhaust valve & you have a turbo, it'll end up going through the turbo. Turbo impellors don't like hard things going through them...
I've read of people sucessfully blowing them out under compression, and some have been so stuck that they sealed & ran fine for quite a while, but I probably wouldn't try to run it unless I was prepared to deal with a destroyed motor...

Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

I wouldnt risk that, maybe have someone crank it over 1 and i mean ONE revolution to see if it pops out. just my thought. If it pops out, throw in a new GP and be on your way. MAKE SURE the new GPs are MOTORCRAFT! I cant stress this enough, I just found out that the PO on my 84 put Autolites in /facepalm DOH! I might have some issues when i get home XD! Other than that, if it gets sucked in....dont crank it over and get it home and go fishing in the GP hole or injector hole, either way, try to get something with a magnet on the end lol. Or tear the head off and fish that little thing out. If nothing happens, my recommendation is to go home w/o running it and throw some PB on there before you take off for home, an hour long drive with that stuff sitting on there will help considerably.