Q.jet swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Adapter type

Would I be better off getting a C type manifold?

If I stay with the DP, would I be better off using the open type adapter, or the Holley to Q.J. type, with the angled passages?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An open adapter isn't going to work on a DP. Go ahead and try the DP. If you want to split for a C later you can still do it and have something to compare to.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
I guess I'm a bit intimidated by this carb. I've never had to take notes when taking one APART before!

Tomorrow I'll drill and install the new bushings in the t. shaft. Hopefully I'll be able to heat and tap out the air bleed tubes, and get ready to install the new ones. It's a cal. carb., and the Q.J. guru said to change them to larger or it would run really lean. I think I'll listen to him.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harte3
"I'd gear the old timers griping about how "complicated" the Qjet was."

JMO, no more so really than the AFB/Edelbrock since they operate pretty much the same way. I think the Holley is the #1 complicated carb since it has so many adjustments that can be screwed up.
I'd have to agree. Complicated or not, the Qjet is still better than a Holley OR Weber, and a better carb than either, in my opinion.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:03 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Red Loctite, or new screws?

The factory flares or spreads the ends of the screws holding the choke plate and butterfly flaps, and air flaps in place so they won't come loose and drop into the engine.

To get mine off, I had to use a dremel and grind off the ends, and heat the shaft so they wouldn't break. I'm told to use red Loctite when putting them back together. Since the end of the screws is now flush with the shaft and can't be flared, wouldn't it be better to replace them and flare them? Or is the loctite sufficient?

Old 05-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would see if you can get new screws. If not, use the red loctite, and flare out the ends as best you can. It's kinda hard to 'splain, but supporting the screw head on something solid, and using a very sharp center punch, you can still flare the ends out a bit. Just have to be extra careful to not tweak the shaft, or it will bind.

My edelbrock 600 is going to find a home on the the 390 in dad's truck. The factory 2bbl not only needs rebuilt (again) but is also a bit restrictive for the monster FE engine dad built and dropped into this truck. He always wanted a 4bbl, but hated holley carbs with a passion. Might be where I get my dislike for them... We both feel a holley carb is designed for one thing only, where it excells, racing. But it must be modded extensively to even be good at that.
At least edelbrock offers an add-on kit for the auto trans kickdown linkage for Ford vehicles.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
I'll try to get new screws and flare them ... with loctite. One little screw falling out could ruin my entire day! That carb should work great on your dad's truck.

Here is the rebushing part of the project. I bought a kit on ebay. I was surprised that the reamer part of the tool gets inserted into the drill chuck. But it worked great! I just marked the depth on the shaft, and had to spin it in reverse.

$45 on ebay, and he gives you enough bushings for three carbs.

Above you can see how the shaft goes all the way through the housing, so you can't drill crooked.

I used aluminum angle in the vise jaws to protect the base plate.

I smeared loctite on the bushings, and inserted a stud with a nut on it, and used it to tap the bushings into place. Then I blew them out with an air gun, used some 1ooo grit to clean up the t. shaft and applied a couple of drops of oil before I inserted it.

It is amazing how snug they are, moves freely.

As I read the book in preparation of putting the carb back together, I notice how often the author says 'failure to do this is one of main reasons rebuilt Q.T.'s fail.' What I gather from all the warnings is that there are a whole lot of possibilities for failure.

I forgot to mention: This carb was so full of oil and soot, that I thought I'd let the main housing sit in carb cleaner over night. That was a mistake. The cleaner ate off the plating, and didn't phase the soot in the primaries around the boosters. I'm hoping to get some very fine brushes to clean in there, because a tooth brush won't do it. Now I'm going to have to paint the main housing, b/c I refuse to pay for plating.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Nice kit. I really like the idea of the extra long shank on the reamer. It's practically fool-proof.
I bet that carb will work great on your engine.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
In your signature: "Dad bought it new, drove it over 500K." That's amazing...classic! Priceless indeed!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want some color to it consider powder coating but do it before you are too far along in putting it back together.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
In your signature: "Dad bought it new, drove it over 500K." That's amazing...classic! Priceless indeed!
That's not the whole story. Summary, dad bought it in 74, and the day he drove home in it, I thought it was the prettiest truck ever. I was 9. Pretty still feel that way.
I learned to drive in it, when I was 12/13.
When I was 14, it hauled my new 78 honda CB125 motorcycle home. (was a leftover, 79's were on the floor too).
When I was 15 or 16, dad almost bought a new truck, but the orginals sale reciept fell out of the glovebox, so I ended up getting a 70 F100 instead.
In 89, I bought him a set of chrome "wagon" wheels for his birthday.
In 92, dad was in a very bad car wreck, killed the other driver, and they canceled the helicopter for him. He fooled the experts, and lived. 3 months later, my son was born. The stress from dad being in the hospital nearly killed my wife, and the boy.... I slept in this truck a couple nights, the tear stains have pretty much faded away by now.
He may not be around much longer, and this truck hasn't been started or driven since sometime in late 08, until yesterday. My daughter snapped this pic as I walked away after closing the hood from making it run, just before I took it to my freinds house a couple blocks away. Drove it off the trailer, and into his driveway, parked beside his garage so I can do a bit more work to it.

To most anyone else, it's just an old truck. To me, it's the most cherished family heirloom, in the world.

(Hard to type this, thru the tears in my eyes, so please forgive any spullimg errors)

Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harte3
If you want some color to it consider powder coating but do it before you are too far along in putting it back together.
It is just a matter of cost. I used to have the Autolite 4100's replated for about $50. I am nearly certain that powder coating would be at least that much. And, since I have a can of black spray paint in my garage ...

I will ck on the powder coating.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
That's not the whole story. Summary, dad bought it in 74, and the day he drove home in it, I thought it was the prettiest truck ever. I was 9. Pretty still feel that way.
I learned to drive in it, when I was 12/13.
When I was 14, it hauled my new 78 honda CB125 motorcycle home. (was a leftover, 79's were on the floor too).
When I was 15 or 16, dad almost bought a new truck, but the orginals sale reciept fell out of the glovebox, so I ended up getting a 70 F100 instead.
In 89, I bought him a set of chrome "wagon" wheels for his birthday.
In 92, dad was in a very bad car wreck, killed the other driver, and they canceled the helicopter for him. He fooled the experts, and lived. 3 months later, my son was born. The stress from dad being in the hospital nearly killed my wife, and the boy.... I slept in this truck a couple nights, the tear stains have pretty much faded away by now.
He may not be around much longer, and this truck hasn't been started or driven since sometime in late 08, until yesterday. My daughter snapped this pic as I walked away after closing the hood from making it run, just before I took it to my freinds house a couple blocks away. Drove it off the trailer, and into his driveway, parked beside his garage so I can do a bit more work to it.

To most anyone else, it's just an old truck. To me, it's the most cherished family heirloom, in the world.

(Hard to type this, thru the tears in my eyes, so please forgive any spullimg errors)
RW: Thanks for sharing. Don't ever sell it. You ought to write that up, the story of your family centering around the truck, and send it to True Blue Trucks magazine. Speak to John. PM me and I'll send his email if you want. Kevin.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I'll do that, but I want to get the truck back into roadworthy status first, and then take dad for a ride. Father's day is most likely not doable, but mid september (his birthday) is a very doable timeframe.
Naturally, pics will be taken along the way. I don't have a camera, but my daughter does, and her door is only 6 feet away.
FWIW, the red F150 is almost as cherished, in her eyes, as the green one is to me....... Prolly cause she was about the same age when I bought it, and it's what she learned to drive in.......
As for selling it, I'll be dead before anyone else ever gets their hands on it.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:13 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
There is great power and feeling in the story of that truck and what it means to you, a story that millions of Americans can feel and relate to. The condition of the truck is of no matter to readers. They simply want to feel what you are feeling, and to know the story.

Quick Reply: Q.jet swap