2011 Ford Explorer Limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Shiftinggearz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Ford Explorer Limited

Hi All,
A new member here!! I am currently looking into either purchasing or leasing an 11 Ford Explorer LTD. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the SUV as far as what they have heard or have experienced themseves. I lease Ford Trucks for my business and have been super happy with how durable they are and the minimal service issues I have come across with them. I have never contemplated owning an American car until now. I am a BMW fan to the core, however in comparing this suv to the X5, it just doesnt make sense for me to spend 70K-80K or more for an SUV just to do weekend errands and cart 3 dogs around. If you guys have any insight, feedback or comments, i would really appreciate hearing them. Thanks for your time.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't have experience with the new Explorer, but I do have a 2011 Ford Taurus SHO and the Explorer shares the same platform as the Taurus. I really like the 2011 Taurus. I traded in a 2007 Infiniti G35 for the SHO and there is no comparison, the SHO is more comfortable on road trips, gets better fuel economy, is quieter, and it has a lot more creature comforts for less money than the G35. So far the SHO has had fewer warranty and recall issues than my G had in the first 6 months of ownership.

Interestingly, I also have a 2004 Mountaineer and the Taurus exterior dimensions are quite a bit larger than the Mountaineer. The new Explorer may look smaller than the existing one, but I don't think it is. Since the new Explorer is based on a car platform, it doesn't have a full frame and probably won't be as good for pure off roading, but it doesn't sound like that's a concern for you.

My sister in-law has an X5 and it's been quite reliable for her, but maintenance costs and parts (such as side view mirrors) are very expensive.

-Rod

Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The 2011 Explorer obviously won't carry the status appeal that the X5 will. So if that's in your needs, then you may want the X5.
From what I understand, based upon the literature I've read, the Explorer should be a great all around vehicle. Towing is around 5k pounds. Should get mid 20s on the hwy, and high teens to low 20s in town depending on your driving style. It's loaded with driver assist features like downhill assist, etc, if you ever find yourself "off road".
Personally I think that Ford has hit a homerun with the 2011 Explorer, but many would disagree. I think you owe it to yourself to take one on an extended test drive, like a half-day, if your dealer will allow it.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not trying to start any fights here but............The '11 Explorer is based on a Tarus platform??????? What the hell??? And everyone wonders why I drive my old stuff.........'78 F150 4x4, '01 Explorer, '96 F350 Powerstroke.........at least they are still "Trucks" I guess theres just too many soccer moms who want to look like they drive a "Truck" sorry just had to vent..........Like I said, not trying to pick a fight.........

Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
No fights picked, but the Explorer hasn't looked like a truck since '02, even though it was still body on frame.
While I agree (as a former '99 XLT V8 owner) that the Explorer was once a nice rugged vehicle, the times and market have proven the need for a "softer" SUV.
The CAFE ratings are really the driving force here. I'm not worried about it being unibody, in fact it's probably stiffer because of this. Excited to see how it does in a very crowded segment.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Yep, it would be interested to know what percentage of SUV owners actually "need" the off-road, rugged capabilities that the segment once offered.

And quite honestly, there's no comparison between the current Taurus and the Taurus of the past (I owned a '93 SHO, '98 SHO, and now a 2011 SHO). This platform is MUCH improved.

-Rod

Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Shiftinggearz
New User
Thanks MCDavis for your imput. Actually, I currently own a BMW, a 2011 M3, so I am flexible on the 3rd vehicle. I think if I owe one, it would be American, because I do think the trucks and many of the SUV's far outweight the imports. I think certain aspecs of vehicles are shared as a cost savings, however with that said i think that it can still be a possitive situation. BMW shares platforms as well. Please keep in mind, I am also on a BMW forum and there are many on there who have had issues with their newer BMW's. BMW, although a stellar drivers car has had some sever issues, such as the fuel pumps in the twin turbo V 6 engines. i myself had three replacements on my 335 coupe. that is one of the biggest reasons i got the M3. that engine is one of the best in the industry. However, spending 70-80K on a 3rd vehcile doesnt make sense and the explorer looks amazing. I will definitely see if i can get an extended test drive. That is a great idea.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:36 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
You're quite welcome.

The great thing about an extended test drive is that the salesman won't be with you. This way you can spend time with it, tinkering, sitting with it at WOT, etc.

I too know a lot of people with love/hate relationships with their Beemers. Seems like just about everyone has a story. GREAT to drive, not so great to fix. But that's the story with any luxury import really.

The nice thing about the Explorer is that it does share a platform. So most of it's bit, mechanical anyway, have been tested. Electronics though may be a different story.

Keep us updated!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 AM
SEAL1
Junior User
shorod: My wife and I use 4x4 almost everyday that we leave the house. There are some out here that need a truck or SUV regularly but I would agree that most will never leave the hard road.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SEAL1
shorod: My wife and I use 4x4 almost everyday that we leave the house. There are some out here that need a truck or SUV regularly but I would agree that most will never leave the hard road.
OK just how bad is your driveway? I use 4wd at hunt camp, snow, beach, etc. But just to leave the house? Unless you live in a rock garden, anything with AWD and a little clearance would be sufficient in my mind. But I'm making an assumption of course about your living situation.

It's true that many folks out there do not need true 4wd, but most of the population could benefit from a AWD system at one time or another. I'm a true believer in all wheel drive.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
SEAL1
Junior User
It is 1.5 miles of bad road. The road is not mine but I have a right of way. I live on top of a mountain with the nearest neighbor about half a mile away. My wife tore up a Subaru when we first moved here and could not get home several times. I like my privacy.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SEAL1
It is 1.5 miles of bad road. The road is not mine but I have a right of way. I live on top of a mountain with the nearest neighbor about half a mile away. My wife tore up a Subaru when we first moved here and could not get home several times. I like my privacy.
You my friend are an exception to the rule in most cases. I commend you! and I'm also a little jealous. I would love to live out in the sticks, but my wife would divorce me. The dog doesn't keep me very warm at night!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
instead of beating the crap out of a truck or car, you need to spend $2000. on an old famr tractor with a rear blade and fix the road. One hours work 3 times a year would work wonders.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 AM
SEAL1
Junior User
Steve; Good advise if I could afford the gravel. I have lived here 12 years and my Dodge and my Explorer show no ill effects from doing what they are built for. I was not complaining, I was just answering shorod's question in the fact that there are those of us out here that need a good 4x4 frequently. A tractor will not change the steepness of the road. If you can maintain 1.5 miles of gravel road in one hour that must be one great tractor and nothing you could buy for $2000.00. I have access to a tractor and I own a John Deere 450 crawler loader with a backhoe and I do put more than a couple of days work into the road each year. I also plow it with my Dodge every time it snows.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered a 11 limited explorer with every option but the glass top. High priced white with pecan interior. Never drove one though so guess time will tell. This will make 9 ford 4x4 vehicles in our stable. The next day (12-31-10) I ordered a 2011 jeep wrangler 2 door with every option. So now waiting on 2 new vehicles. The explorer is for the wife and the jeep will be my playtoy.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Explorer Limited