Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

So here we are 3 years later.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:16 PM
wmbeattie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra is a weak,flimsy piece of junk.Their frame bends and rusts. The tailgate fails under load.Not much of a truck.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:26 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
Originally Posted by wmbeattie
Tundra is a weak,flimsy piece of junk.Their frame bends and rusts. The tailgate fails under load.Not much of a truck.
Toyotas and Nissans are LIGHT duty trucks. Not meant for hauling anything but small bed loads and light duty trailers. They are "trucks" with the suburban dad in mind, not really a construction or heavy hauling type truck.

That being said, the Tundra is more "Made in America" than the F-Series trucks are... by roughly 10% if I remember correctly. It aint a bad vehicle, but it's NOT a heavy duty truck.

And Nissans are junk.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 PM
732t37
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Ford (duh)
2. GM
3. Nissan
10. Chrysler

There is no 4 through 9. Just didn't seem fair to imply that Chrysler trucks are almost as good as Nissan.

Reasons- Ford has lower "life cycle" costs than any other brand, and it does its job well for a long time. That they are integrated into a line of full-size and medium-duties is a plus. Plus for cheap parts and use of the same parts for different models.

If you look at Ford and GM trucks side-by-side, especially older ones, they are mechanically similar in many ways. But GM polishes parts no one will ever see, and simultaneously makes some very important parts without much thought as to how they will wear. Styling a plus, ripping off the US a minus.

Nissan- Reliable, gets the job done at the end of the day, and cheaply. But it can't do what a Ford can do. Minus for gaps in full/medium lineup.

Chrysler- Almost every single part wears through or rusts out 100' from the dealer's lot. They look badass but take off the sheetmetal and it's just two lips with hair around them. And the fuel economy is not a plus.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToMang07
Toyotas and Nissans are LIGHT duty trucks. Not meant for hauling anything but small bed loads and light duty trailers. They are "trucks" with the suburban dad in mind, not really a construction or heavy hauling type truck.

That being said, the Tundra is more "Made in America" than the F-Series trucks are... by roughly 10% if I remember correctly. It aint a bad vehicle, but it's NOT a heavy duty truck.

And Nissans are junk.
It's a bad vehicle. When the tailgate problems came up, they claimed it's only rated for 200 lbs. What do most owners do, take a running jump to get in the bed? How is that even remotely acceptable?

Then the cams started breaking and taking out engines.

Then the bed bounce

Then the bolted together frame

Then the suspension recall

In 5 years of living in MN, I have yet to see a tundra with a snow plow on it. I've seen everything from wranglers and rangers to f700s with plows on them.

As far as I'm concerned, The tundra is a slightly faster Ridgeline.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Fosters
It's a bad vehicle. When the tailgate problems came up, they claimed it's only rated for 200 lbs. What do most owners do, take a running jump to get in the bed? How is that even remotely acceptable?

Then the cams started breaking and taking out engines.

Then the bed bounce

Then the bolted together frame

Then the suspension recall

In 5 years of living in MN, I have yet to see a tundra with a snow plow on it. I've seen everything from wranglers and rangers to f700s with plows on them.

As far as I'm concerned, The tundra is a slightly faster Ridgeline.
My mechanic has a plow on his Taundra... says he loves it.

I wouldn't.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything under 8501 GVWR is by EPA definition light duty. In CA and maybe nationally, 10,000lb GVWR is the definition of light duty for tax and registration. So, as always, one's opinion is the definition. No offense, ToMang07, just a general observation about the internet.

Ford, GM, and Fiat (Dodge/Ram) sell mostly light duty trucks. Real businesses, including construction use plenty of Tacomas, Rangers, and even minivans. Ford's Transit Connect is starting to take over the service market.

Out here, its the suburban mom or dad that is most likely to drive the F-350 diesel, while a real construction business uses the right tool for the job, even if its an old Windstar minivan.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have a windstar here at home and we carried stacks of heavy wood oak, and pine pallets with that thing. That thing was worked hard, too bad the transmission died. Now we use my idi to do the work stuff around the house.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Personally I'd own a Chebby before I owned a Dodge or "Toy" truck. At work all the track guys have Fords (4) or Chevys (2)...no Dodges or other brands. The Fords have gotten a bad rap because of the International design issues in past trucks...but the company keeps buying 'em and they keep running 'em. You want to torture test a truck? Hand it over to a railroad and tell 'em to use it. Tires are the only thing...no matter what brand, that don't stand a chance from the get go.
Originally Posted by 732t37
Chrysler- Almost every single part wears through or rusts out 100' from the dealer's lot. They look badass but take off the sheetmetal and it's just two lips with hair around them. And the fuel economy is not a plus.
No really, tell how you feel about the Chrysler/Fiat truck
My mechanic has a plow on his Taundra... says he loves it. I wouldn't
I'd like to see a photo of it just for the humor. Being from Arkansas...only the state has plow trucks; and they're just a handful of dump trucks with attachment points up-front. Everyone else uses motor graders, front end loaders or farm tractors if/when it snows. I still remember the first time I went on a plow run with my uncle in Michigan (mid '80s)...he was using a F250 clearing driveways. It was an experience to say the least.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
My mechanic has a plow on his Taundra... says he loves it.

I wouldn't.
pretty sure it says right on the door tag of a tundra that the vehicle is NOT rated for use with a plow..

warrenty gone poof.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
pretty sure it says right on the door tag of a tundra that the vehicle is NOT rated for use with a plow..

warrenty gone poof.
I believe it also says that on a F-150 and Dodge 1500. (Maybe chebby 1500, too?) And he IS a mechanic, so I'm sure he isn't worried about the warranty.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
well anyhow the bottom of the list should read

dodge
toyota
nissian

we know fords #1 and chevys #2