Newbie, first 300 performance build

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:32 PM
uncle_jessie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie, first 300 performance build

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and have been lurking around the forum. Uncle Jessie is a white 78 long bed F100 thats been in my family for as long as I can remember and its time he gets a makeover after god only knows how many miles. I was gonna toss the 6 in favor of a big V8 but after not much debate there is just something cool about a HOT L6. After doing some looking online, I see TWO companies. 1.) classic inlines- who mainly focus all of their efforts on the small sixes (170-250) and don't offer much in the way of parts for the 300 like the aluminum head, etc. 2.) Then there is Clifford, and the only thing I wanted from them was the tall aluminum finned valve cover, that unfortunately they don't see anymore . So here is what I'm thinking, and please feel free to offer any advice tips, etc.

-Standard compliment of machine work from a local machine shop I trust, The block will more than likely have to go .030" over at least from a poop ton of miles on the ole girl.
- I'm gonna try to use the stock crank and rods (after machine work and balancing)
- Pistons? not sure yet! maybe some silvolite flat tops depending on comp. ratio I need
- comp 268H cam kit, and roller rockers
- I want to try to find someone to port my head before I have the machine shop work it with some 1.94 and 1.50 SS valves
- Offy intake, with Holley 390 4bbl (only because I know my way around a Holley)
- 2 piece header that I will have coated
- some form of electronic Ignition with most likely MSD
- Have my C4 Rebuilt with the performance goodies
- Have a posi installed in the 9" rear whick I think already has a 4.10 gear.
Anyway Thanks for a great forum and all the info here.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:13 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Since you are in the carbed section you can

-Port the heads
-Deck the block to 0 (Straighten it up)
-Bore the pistons .030 over....It straightens the cylinder walls up, and turns it into a 306ci.
-Run a set of EFI exhaust manifolds (Cheap headers basically)
-Run a set of Adjusble Timing Gears
-Advance the Crank 4*
-Advance the Distribur from 10* to approx 12-14* (Till it starts pinging under Idle and Load)
-Run dual or tri carb setup
-Use 1.7" Chevrolet Rockers

There's a short list.....It'll get you started....There'll be other chime in later....And welcome to FTE!

P.S-Here is ColFlashman's 300 Inline 6....Has 300hp, and 400 ft/lbs.... www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6_a8RzNLKw&feature=related

Old 05-07-2011, 01:10 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
No disrespect to C.Flashman, but why spend $5k on an I6 to get 300 hp. I love my I6, but for half the money on a nice little sb v8 you'd get the same hp. I would just do the mods the other guy mentioned, and you'll be fine ... in fact you'll be blown away.

I would avoid the flat top pistons, unless using those from a 360, and then you don't need to deck the block or head for more c.r. But you will be on medium grade gas. I'd avoid the comp cams lifters. The 268 is a bit radical for street. You might want to think about the Isky 262, or the Clifford 264. From experience I say to avoid the 1.7 rockers. It was 'holy ****!' time to get on it with them on, and feel the engine come on like a sbc, but it changes the geometry of the v.train. I sucked a valve with mine on, and thank my lucky stars the v. did not drop into the chamber!!!!! If you want the lift the 1.7's provide, then get the Clifford cam. When you change the geometry, you are playing with what Ford engineers, the ones with degrees who measure to a 1/1000th of an inch, spent years calculating and planning. Sure, bolt it on and go around the track a few times ***** out. But for daily driving, forget it. Get the power elsewhere.

Spend your $ on the head, porting, with the bigger valves (1.94's and 1.60's), and you'll be very happy.

There is a new site, truck me blue . com, opening tomorrow, who is selling some products for the 300. Cheers.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:30 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks for the link man!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:57 AM
uncle_jessie
Senior User
Thanks for the tips F-250 I will definately look into the Isky 262. This is just the very beginning stage of this and I saw a vid on the tube with one with a 268 comp and man it sounded awesome lol. But I def want ole Jessie to have driveability. I also just saw a set of harland sharp 1.6 rockers on ebay for the 300, but I take it the factory or the stamped chrome valve covers will not fit over them?

IN LINE FORD 6 CYLINDER 240 & 300 ROLLER ROCKER ARMS | eBay

Old 05-07-2011, 01:39 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
The 268 comp is a great cam, if that is what you want. I guess my point is that you can get that nice lopey sound w/o having all that duration, and most likely get pretty good mpg too.

Stay with hyd lifters. I've seen guys take two v.covers and make one which is taller for the r.rockers.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:50 PM
uncle_jessie
Senior User
I'm gonna go ahead and order some EFI manifolds. After thinking about it, header ARE a PITA! That and the manifolds are MUUUUUUCH cheaper. But with these EFI manifolds, do I HAVE to buy a Y pipe or can the muffler shop hook me up with True duals?, which is what I want.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:32 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Either way....I'm goin' from a 2-1 setup to true duals as soon as I get some debts outta the way....Just remember the lowly O2 sensor....Just make a bung and cut a section outta each pipe, and weld it in....That way its reading off both Bank 1 & 2.....

Outta curiousity, is 2-1/2" pipe too big for the Inlines? Jw...

Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by uncle_jessie
I'm gonna go ahead and order some EFI manifolds. After thinking about it, header ARE a PITA! That and the manifolds are MUUUUUUCH cheaper. But with these EFI manifolds, do I HAVE to buy a Y pipe or can the muffler shop hook me up with True duals?, which is what I want.
I have a thread going regarding exh. with the efi manies. At the j/y I noticed that on many of the efi's, the pipes did not join until the cat. I am going to use the j/y down pipes, not the 2 into one type, and keep them dual.

The muffler shop will do anything you pay them to! I also wanted to mention that the installation of the int/exh. is much easier with studs. And I see on ebay there is a stud kit available for the 300/240. There is also the heating plate for the Offy intakes.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 AM
uncle_jessie
Senior User
Cliffords website says "you must use headers to use any Clifford intake manifold" Have any of you guys used the Clifford with the EFI exhaust manifolds?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle_jessie
Cliffords website says "you must use headers to use any Clifford intake manifold" Have any of you guys used the Clifford with the EFI exhaust manifolds?
This is because the intake will bind with the EFI exhaust manifolds. I'm not sure about the fitment with the stock log exhaust manifold.

Either way, it's not something 2 minutes with a grinder can't fix:

Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Outta curiousity, is 2-1/2" pipe too big for the Inlines?" For a single out, just right. Dual outs can be 2 or 2 1/4. For those with a what-it-sounds-like fetish, an 8" sewer pipe might not be big enough.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:36 PM
uncle_jessie
Senior User
Wooooot Great News! I finally got a hold of the guy who did the port work on my old Malibu Drag car some years back. He told me that he has alot of experience with the ford 300 head. So I will GLADLY take the head 4 hours one way to have him do it! That and there is no one around here to do it, and thats something I DON"T do. My production headed 406 ran like a cat kicked in the a&*, so I trust him. That and I had those heads he did for me back then put on a flow bench after he was done LOL

Old 05-09-2011, 10:41 PM
uncle_jessie
Senior User
posting pics

In order to start posting pics in this thread I have to subscribe and pay the yearly fee, right? If so how to I upgrade my account?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Nope....You don't have to pay the subscription to post pics...

Just upload them to your albums, and then copy/paste into a reply...

Quick Reply: Newbie, first 300 performance build