Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2011, 01:42 PM
New User

erkeene is starting off with a positive reputation.
02 7.3 powerstroke wont start when hot!!! help

I bought the truck about 4 months ago and I absolutely love it but over the last few weeks is has been acting funny at times, it doesn't do it all the time but it has been getting progressively worse, ill drive the truck all day and no problems when I shut it off and go to start it again it just cranks but won't fire,
*Batteries are charged and in good condition, oil is a little dirty but full, I have no codes or check engine light on, and my wait to start light seems to be working fine!
*If i supply a fuel source(starting fluid) the truck will fire but not stay running
*And let it sit for 15 to 45 minutes fires right up like there was never an issue.
*there are no blown fuses

HELP PLEASE thanksł
Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE. Please be careful with starting fluid on a diesel motor. When you turn the key on and the glow plugs heat up, it can ignite the fluid and damage the motor.

I'd suggest you change the oil with some properly rated diesel oil and see what difference that makes. The fuel injectors fire off of engine oil and dirty or worn oil can affect how the injectors work (or don't).

Often times what you're describing is an issue with the IPR. You can either try to clean the IPR and change the o-rings or buy a new one. Since that can get expensive as a guess, do you know anyone with a scanner that can possibly monitor live data when this happens?

Next time you get a no start, try unplugging the ICP sensor since it will sometimes unstick a stuck IPR. The ICP is on the front inboard side of the driver head.

Click the image to open in full size.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 05-07-2011, 08:23 AM
New User

Sweet man thanks for the advice I won't be able to work on it til Monday but i will definitely champ oil and see where that gets me first it is just about do for am oil change anyway, and if that doesn't help or fix my problem ill try the second option, thanks for advice ill post up my progress
Old 05-21-2011, 05:07 AM
New User

Update on my issue!!!!! The day before I was able to service my truck it ****ed up on me so I side what F350-6 said and that was unplugging the ICP sensor to try and stick the IPR, I did this and the truck started fine the next day I changed the oil, filter, fuel filter, and **** and since the truck has been starting fine!! what the ****
Old 05-21-2011, 05:07 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 2006, 73, diesel, duty, f550, ford, hot, powerstoke, powerstroke, restart, start, super, warm, wont