You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!
140k on F350 (DIY 'Vegistroke'-style conversion) and almost 90k on my Excursion (using V3 module from Frybrid, no longer available...). No issues related to WVO. F350 had a cracked piston/hole at 308k miles and got full engine rebuild - there was no indication of WVO in the combustion chamber, etc after 120k on the high-cholesterol diet.
A few key issues to prevent issues with using SVO/WVO:
- never start cold engine on VO. You want a HOT combustion chamber AND 160*+ VO. (IOW's - don't 'blend' VO/diesel)
- on the same note, do not allow ANY VO into the diesel tank (can't just use 6way 'Pollak' valves to select between VO and D2 tanks...)
- complete dewatering is prolly more important than filtering WVO for trouble-free operation
- use coolant - not electric heat - to heat VO. Electric heaters (vegtherm) tend to overheat the oil and cause polymerization (or worse, carbonized bits of WVO getting to injectors ain't good!!)
- The hotter the VO before the on-board VO filter, the longer yer filters will last in coooold weather
- Avoid WVO coming in contact with copper, carbon steel and to a lesser extent brass. Exposure to these metals expedite the polymerization process
__________________ 2001 F350 CC flatbed - headstuds, AC codes, T4/S366, custom leather interior, '07 facelift, big honkin bumper, 180k miles on DIY veggie conversion and a few other things... 2000 Excursion, Limited, 4x4, BTS trans, 120k on veggie! - wrecked spring 2013 - RIP veggiegarage.com authorized installer
Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
12-10-2005 09:47 AM
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.