1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550
Old 10-27-2014, 06:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels & Tires How-Tos
Print Wikipost

2010 E350 wheels/tires/suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Ujoint
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Killer RC
Can't do it on vans with RSC. It's all tied into the computer.
Can do now, there's an RSC upgrade. Not cheap, but it's comes with a slew of other parts that you benefit from.

And, great looking van you have there!!!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow! very affordable.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 PM
eric_in_nb
New User
The wheels look great but I have a question. I put a set of wheels on a 2008 E350 12 passenger van. HOWEVER, I have to use the longer center piece on the rear wheels due to the longer center piece. Do I have to space out the tires to use the normal center piece?

Thanks,
Eric

Old 05-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Killer RC
Senior User
Yes. If you get wider tires like I did, the rear tires might rub the inner fender well when the suspension is compressed, or when the body twists when you are turning while reversing the van. The rear axle appears to be an inch or two narrower than the front. So you could fix this issue by ordering the rear wheels with about 1/2" more positive offset than the front wheels. This will get the tire away from the inner wheel well and give the rear a wider stance and better look. But the down side is that you can't really rotate the tires easily because the front and rear wheels are different. So your other option is to get some wheel spacers for the rear. That's what I did. I got a pair of 3/8" spacers custom made by http://www.wheeladapter.com but I'm thinking about getting 2" spacers. The rear axle is quite a bit narrower than the front axle.

I'll post pics soon.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:35 AM
eric_in_nb
New User
Thanks killer. I may look into the 3/8" spacer. I love the look with the new rims but it's a little odd with a normal center piece up front and the longer center piece on the rear.

About to order some floor mats and then adding a Pioneer MP3, XM, Nav system and a set of custom made running board/ground effects. Got a great deal on the running boards. Painted, custom cut and installed for $700.00. That should finish off the van. Funny, the wife turned down the Escalade ESV for the van. For the 6 of us traveling, it works great though!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 PM
SilverE350
Senior User
Killer: I ordered the front spacers today, what size bolts did you need to buy to make them work?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Killer RC
Senior User
My stock bolts were metric. Some vans may either be metric or SAE, depends on the year. The spacer kit comes with a SAE extension that you have to use. It keeps the black plastic spacer centered. You won't be reusing any stock metric bolts or nuts. Get two Grade 8, 3/4" x 8" long bolts. I got mine from Fastenal. Hardware stores usually don't have em that long. Get about 10 thick 3/4" washers too. Not fender washers.

Remove shocks and springs. Stick bolt up through bottom of axle, add about 4 washers on top of the axle to get past the bolts non-threaded shoulder section. Put lift kit extension on bolt and tighten. This will hold the axle together. Then slide the black plastic lift spacer on. Then the coil spring. Then a washer and 3/4" nut.

Do not reuse the stock white plastic coil spring cushions.

To do a proper wheel alignment your mechanic will probably need to replace the stock camber cams with some cams that have more adjustment. The mechanic should know what I'm talking about. It will probably take all the adjustment available to get the wheels straight. This 2" lift pretty much maxes out the camber adjustability.

The spacer kit comes with instructions but they seem to be showing pics of an older van. The top of my axle is flat. The axle in their pics has some kind of knobby spacer thing on it. This is why I had to stack the 4 washers on top. The plastic spacer covers it all up. It's totally safe. You'll see what I'm talking about once you get it all apart.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Little update here. We just got back from a 2k mile round trip to Ontario to go fishing. Seven grown men fit comfortably. We had a great trip. I still really like these BFG Rugged Terrain tires.

I ordered this Reunel bumper 2 months ago but it arrived one day too late for our fishing trip. I needed a hitch for the trip so I had to pay $200 to get one put on right before we left. So now I have a barely used class 4 tow hitch if anybody in the SW Ohio area needs one. It bolts right up to the frame. No drilling. $150. PM me.

Anyway, here's the bumper. It's heavy dutaaaaayyyyy.
I'll get some better pics once I get the backup lights installed in it. Had to order those from John Deere.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Bbasso
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the look of the bumper, But doesn't seem to be step friendly like the stock w/ the rubber and wider top areas...

Also could you get a picture of your rear lic plate bracket? Looks a bit different then my 05...

thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM
SilverE350
Senior User
Killer: Could you please measure from the center of your front hub to the inside top of the wheel well (right where that screw holds the plastic inner fender on), for me? Also, did the alignment shop tell you if there was much more camber adjustment left after you installed the spacers?
Thanks.

I've already lifted mine 15/8" with springs alone and wonder how much more I can get using stock springs and spacers. I just want to run 285/75 16's.
Do you think you could fit a 33" tire in your set up?

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:40 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bbasso
I like the look of the bumper, But doesn't seem to be step friendly like the stock w/ the rubber and wider top areas...

Also could you get a picture of your rear lic plate bracket? Looks a bit different then my 05...

thanks.
Great looking van, KillerRC...and BB, Ford changed over to a metal reinforced license plate frame circa 2008, I think. Thieves were finding it easy to break through the plastic and open the rear lock with the old style frame. Not sure if the new version will retrofit on the older vans--mine is an '02 and has the plastic frame.

George

Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Originally Posted by SilverE350
Killer: Could you please measure from the center of your front hub to the inside top of the wheel well (right where that screw holds the plastic inner fender on), for me? Also, did the alignment shop tell you if there was much more camber adjustment left after you installed the spacers?
Thanks.

I've already lifted mine 15/8" with springs alone and wonder how much more I can get using stock springs and spacers. I just want to run 285/75 16's.
Do you think you could fit a 33" tire in your set up?

Thanks.
I think 33s would rub up front during hard steering. I'm at the max camber with this 2" lift.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bbasso

thanks.
Here's a few pics. I'll get more later.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...a-install.html

Old 06-12-2011, 06:55 PM
76Chateau
Freshman User
awesome looking van you got their Killer RC ,still need to do a few more with mine.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
I got the backup lights installed, and added some pieces of no-slip tape stuff.

This bumper is extra beefy. It weighs about 150 pounds. The hitch has a 20,000 pound tow rating. No drilling was required. Ten bolts hold it in place. It mounts to the stock bumper mounts, and also to both chassis rails. The hardest part was getting the backup sensors installed and lined up. It's best to install the sensors, get the bumper mounted, and then plug in the harness to the 4 sensors.

Quick Reply: 2010 E350 wheels/tires/suspension mods