1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How Do You Work On Your Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
my brother in law and i work on my truck or his two days a week between november and may. he has the garage (3 stall) and the space so we work at his house (25 miles from me) he works 4 @ 10 hour days w/friday off. i'm retired but do plenty of friends and fam projects during the week. we do trucks fridays and saturdays during colder weather. in the warmer months we pick up a few side jobs to fill the oil tank in the garage and accumulate truck money. we've put in three good winter seasons so far. it's a good deal.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:50 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work by myself. However, my father-in-law and wife stop by periodically to have me explain what I've been doing (which just throws me that much further behind). However, I do get to listen to some classic rock on 97.1, The River, here in Atlanta.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:47 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I actually like to do all the work on my vehicles myself. I don't know why but it bugs me to have someone else do the work. But that probably explains why my truck is still just a pile of parts.

If I need help lifting something I'll give my youngest brother a call. And once in a while I'll have my dad take a look at the truck and give me his opinion on something.

But actually doing the work I prefer to do it with my own two hands.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:03 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
usually the only time I get any help is if I am doing something that requires it. and I have a 40x80 shop that is equiped with just about everything but a lathe and a mill (but I have been doing some shopping) as my dad can't physically spend more than and hour or so working on the concrete floor. I do hope to get my 10 year old nephew to help me some when i get home though, as he just began to develop an interest in cars.

now if its a friends car or truck there is usually 2 or 3 of us that are hanging around.

me and my brother in law can't get together very often, but we do bounce alot of ideas back and forth, we are planning on building the new engine for my capri this summer though.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Dun Dreamin
Junior User
Usually just me but my mate did come round in the early stages but he seems to be getting fed up now
http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums.../party0005.gif

Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do I work on my truck? With a smoke hanging from my mouth and a cold soda on the work bench. Most of the work I do myself. Sometimes I have a friend over to help, sometimes that friend takes lead, and I end up helping! It all depends really on what it is I am doing. Since I can't weld, anything that needs welded gets done by a friend. When I hung the front end the first time my friend Chris pretty much took over, he gets into wrenchin pretty good! The second and third time I hung it, I did it myself with a jack.

I enjoy having people over when I am working. Even if it is only for conversation while I am wrenching...it gives me a break from getting frustrated and keeps my mind moving which can be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. It also gives me a safety net should something go wrong that I cannot reach a phone...like when I fell through the ceiling in the garage trying to chase a wire for the new plugs I installed. I am always glad to have people over to help or bull****.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:12 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dun Dreamin
Usually just me but my mate did come round in the early stages but he seems to be getting fed up now
http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums.../party0005.gif
Love your party link!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
SVT-F100
Tuned

I got a good brother from my Air Force days days here in the same town. We used to turn wrenches together in good and bad weather, 12-14hr shifts on our planes.

Now, we both got kids and our own wife's and houses. Maintaining a good balance between homeys, kids, house, wife and truck is a challenge in itself.

In the end I do most of the cutting, grinding, welding, wrenching myself and he helps out when I need to do heavy lifting ie. pulling motor etc.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
bruce h
Junior User
When i built my replica A C Cobra 427 my best buddy came around a couple of nights a week and the odd full day result built in 18 months and on the road.

for my truck project he plans to do the same , to be honest great to have him around as he has a bit more knowedge on the mechanical side., and you know what they say 2 heads are better than 1

bruce

Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Normally I work by my self but today the wife helped me out getting the truck into the garage.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I'm lucky as I've been around the shop we work in my whole life. The shop is on what was my Grandparents farm and the land has been in our family since 1934. The shop started out as a crib to store grain and even was home for awhile in the late 40's for my Dad and his family while the farmhouse was being remodeled. I've got great memories of being around the shop with my Grandfather and even still have the minibike he bought me at Tractor Supply that we assembled together. It is also where my Dad and his hot rod buddies the "Piston Pushers" did some of their work in the 50's. There's been alot of family history in that building.

I don't really have any close friends that are into the old iron so it's usually my Dad and I working on things. Most recently attention has been focused on a couple of Ford tractors. Joining FTE has got my motivation going so I hope there'll be some increased shop time for my 48 F3.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

I usually work alone also and I thought I was wierd for that. (I know..I am wierd for other reasons) It's good to see I'm not the only one, tho.

I'm sure my truck would be a wreck and still a pile of parts without FTE and the great info and help I get here. The internet certainly has changed things.

I have had the "Good Hands People" over to help with big jobs. Keith and Ed (Keith_56_Cruz_Cab and EdsF100) helped pull the bed when I started that job. Wayne (B/B Ford) and his BIL Steve helped reinstall the engine the last time. I also had the help of old friends and coworkers on occasion. I have been blessed that way when needed. Wayne even rewired my garage when I moved two years ago (GREAT JOB!!!). I've never had such a nice work space. (Too bad I'm gonna move again. )

Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
I usually work alone also and I thought I was wierd for that. (I know..I am wierd for other reasons) It's good to see I'm not the only one, tho.

I'm sure my truck would be a wreck and still a pile of parts without FTE and the great info and help I get here. The internet certainly has changed things.

I have had the "Good Hands People" over to help with big jobs. Keith and Ed (Keith_56_Cruz_Cab and EdsF100) helped pull the bed when I started that job. Wayne (B/B Ford) and his BIL Steve helped reinstall the engine the last time. I also had the help of old friends and coworkers on occasion. I have been blessed that way when needed. Wayne even rewired my garage when I moved two years ago (GREAT JOB!!!). I've never had such a nice work space. (Too bad I'm gonna move again. )
Not to mention intellectual help from other sources....

Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Originally Posted by fatfenders56
Not to mention intellectual help from other sources....
CORRECTION: I owe it all to you, Tim.