6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Best EGR delete kit for 6.0L?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey guys, Have a 2003 6.0 w/200k on her. she is overheating a lot and I am afraid I may have blown the EGR cooler (again) as I lose coolant out the tailpipe and now considering the delete. This will make the 4th or 5th time I have had this problem.
A lot to digest here. A lot of pro's and cons....whats a guy to do?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did they ever replace the oil cooler?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
did it overheat before when the EGR coolers went out what kinda temps did you see??

Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025

Statistically, I should be an advocate of the EGR system removal or at bare min. a bypass.
A sample of one is not Statistically correct!

So is putting an aftermarket air filter or an off the shelf tuner. Would you do either one?
No one is installing air filters or tuners to fix their broken down truck. So there is a huge difference in this comparison.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
A sample of one is not Statistically correct!
I didn't say it was. I stated that if the EGR system is this horrible entity I should statistically been SOL considering I'm pushing it well beyond the stock parameters. The same stock parameters that cause the EGR system to supposedly fail all by it's lonesome (which is what would have to be the case to make an EGR delete the full proof fix that people claim that it is).

How many people with the stock EGR system and even running tunes report zero problems on these boards (which is a small sample of the true 6.0 population that we known about, how many are out there that we don't know about?), there are quite a few.

By all accounts, my one sample shouldn't exists by what some people claim about the EGR system. It shouldn't. Modified injectors, bigger turbo, bigger fuel pump, hotter tuning for 508 at the rear wheels, who knos what that is at the flywheel. That's a lot of extra HP for that little ole EGR system to deal with. What are the odds? I must be one lucky SOB.

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
No one is installing air filters or tuners to fix their broken down truck. So there is a huge difference in this comparison.
EGR system delete isn't doing anything about the oil cooler. That still has the potential to break down on you and leave you stranded for awhile. It's fixing the symptom, not the root cause. That would be like taking Lidocain (sp?) for nerve pain.

My analogy was more about common modification that people did and wether or not just because a modification is common if it's actually a good thing to do.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
DELETE the "WART"!...
(words of our old FTE friend from Texas, KW5413)

Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
texasdynarider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry so long for the feed back... thanks a lot. after reading numerous different thread. i will be going with the delete for sure!! WHICH delete is most reliable or are they all relatively the same?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
texasdynarider
New User
and by the way its stock 6.0.. AIRRAID intake CFM+ elbow 4" turbo back had tow haul superchip on whenever heads blew. wasnt aware of all the goodies/necessities for the heads. hince gaskets and studs. but did update egr cooler and oil cooler. not running programmer anymore

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by texasdynarider
Sorry so long for the feed back... thanks a lot. after reading numerous different thread. i will be going with the delete for sure!! WHICH delete is most reliable or are they all relatively the same?
I'm sure they're all about the same. I used the Sinister. It's working fine, and as I recall the Sinister was the most reasonably priced. Keep your cooler in a safe place, just in case. You never know if/when you will need to reinstall it some day. Another good idea is to install a coolant filter.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:33 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
Keep your cooler in a safe place, just in case. You never know if/when you will need to reinstall it some day.

That's actually a bit of misinformation that a lot of people have. It's against the law now to remove it. That's federal law regardless if the person has emissions testing in the area. He can still be cited for it and I think it's a few grand of a fine. Now the odds might be low without emissions testing, but that doesn't mean that it isn't against the law. I know people in Dallas have been cited and there isn't diesel emissions testing. As well in Nashville, although there is diesel testing there.

Risk versus very little rewards, but than again I might be an oddity and the others still running their stock coolers are as well.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM
hott-rodd
Elder User
I have the sinister , but wish i had stopped with the welded cooler.
It's just as good , easy to install, almost free, and does not require any up-pipe mod.
The Y-pipe is supported as originally designed so it less likely to crack or break.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:50 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by texasdynarider
and by the way its stock 6.0.. AIRRAID intake CFM+ elbow 4" turbo back had tow haul superchip on whenever heads blew. wasnt aware of all the goodies/necessities for the heads. hince gaskets and studs. but did update egr cooler and oil cooler. not running programmer anymore
I hope I don't post any misinformation here... However I am pretty sure I am accurate... But if you do block off your egr and bypass the cooler, my understanding is that you will also need to run an SCT tuner to turn off the check engine light for low egr flow. That is, if you have a 2005 or later 6.0. As some have stated, it is against the law for vehicles run on highways. I am not trying advocate that anyone who is running their truck on the highway break the law. That is the personal choice of the owner of the vehicle, and you should understand the implications before choosing that route.
With that said, if you do block off the egr and bypass/remove the cooler, leave the actual egr in place and plugged in. It gives a better visual of being operational and also seems to aid in cooling fan operation.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
I hope I don't post any misinformation here... However I am pretty sure I am accurate... But if you do block off your egr and bypass the cooler, my understanding is that you will also need to run an SCT tuner to turn off the check engine light for low egr flow. That is, if you have a 2005 or later 6.0.

That actually depends on a certain strategy that came out after that time period. I can't recall the strategy, but if you have it you will need to get a custom tuner to turn it off, it doesn't have to be SCT, just something that does custom tuning that has the ability to shut off that input.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 PM
RanchKing
New User
That actually depends on a certain strategy that came out after that time period. I can't recall the strategy, but if you have it you will need to get a custom tuner to turn it off, it doesn't have to be SCT, just something that does custom tuning that has the ability to shut off that input.
I'm looking at doing the replacement bp cooler but tuning out the egr because from what I can tell, it costs the same (except the tune for turning off the egr ) and I have choices, and remain legal-ish. This answer also appeals to me because I don't want to ever be stuck reselling a vehicle with a delete.
My question is how do I go about tuning out the egr, and what, if any effect, will that have on other stuff like the fan? What is the cheapest route? Can it be done with Ford's computer?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
dukie1877
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wow now I am really confused on what to do!

Quick Reply: Best EGR delete kit for 6.0L?