Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Freshman User

rallynutdon is starting off with a positive reputation.
95 E350 turbo Diesel E40D transmission torque converter not locking up

Posted this in transmission section but haven't gotten much response.

Last fall, the van would not start. Garage thought maybe it was hit by lightning but could find no definite signs of that. They replaced the PCM, IDM (with used units) and Exhaust body pressure sensor and Injector cont pressure sensor (new units), and got it running. I didn’t notice until the trans puked some fluid and ruined the torque converter (which has been replaced) that the torque converter wasn’t locking up. The trans repair shop spliced into the harness (to prove that the torque converter was not the problem) and if I ground that wire the converter will lock up. So I had the original PCM remanufactured. It still won’t lock up. I drove with my mechanic with his diagnosis tool plugged in and it displayed that the PCM was calling for torque converter lockup at the appropriate times. Yes, the cruise control works. The rear diff speed sensor was also replaced about 2 years ago. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
You did get a response. Have you checked into this? Telling me where they spliced in to check it gives you a place to start. Check for continuity and shorts to ground and power between the PCM and the splice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
It is probably a damaged wire between the PCM and where they tapped into the wiring.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
You did get a response. Have you checked into this? Telling me where they spliced in to check it gives you a place to start. Check for continuity and shorts to ground and power between the PCM and the splice.
I have the garage checking this.
BTW, no offense, but reread my comment here. I didn't say I didn't get any response, I said I didn't get much of a response. I was hoping someone might have some other ideas as the garage is already investigating wiring issues.
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Freshman User

I was looking for possible info on sensors that might go bad preventing the lockup. Don't know what they might be but are there some? Examples, speed, engine temp, etc.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
I think the E series has another speed sensor in the trans ..
'Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!'
Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
350, brake, converter, diesel, e4od, f150, ford, ignition, lights, lock, locking, torque, tourqe, transmision, transmission