1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Trans issue to rest! Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM
LEADSLED52
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans issue to rest! Maybe?

So I finally got my trans rebuilt and it seems at the moment to work great. I still have a leak issue in 2 spots but I think that is minor compared to the small flood from before is was rebuilt. Here is the one question that I have. the C-6 on my 302 needs to pull vacuum and I dont think that the spot it is pulling from is correct. The shop that I got the trans rebuilt from said to have the vacuum pull from the spacer or spacers that are between the intake manifold and the carb. I dont have is connection and the previuos owner was running a "T" connector from the carb to the distributor and the trans was at the "T". I feel that this is bad and the shop even stated not to have it connected to a "T" fitting. I do have a connection at the back of the intake manifold by the firewall and I think this would be better suitted but then I'm afraid of having to much vacuum. Please any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:00 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
You should be able to by the ported spacer that he is recommending at a good supply house or speed shop,or on Ebay.They are not too expensive.I am using an aluminum one,but the phenolic ones are supposed to be better at not transferring heat to the carb.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 PM
LEADSLED52
Junior User
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
You should be able to by the ported spacer that he is recommending at a good supply house or speed shop,or on Ebay.They are not too expensive.I am using an aluminum one,but the phenolic ones are supposed to be better at not transferring heat to the carb.
So I have been looking the plates up and have only come up with ones that have an EGR port on them and I dont have that on this motor. Can I assume that this is an aftermarket or custom plate that I'm searching for. Does this plate have a specific name? I guess if at all possible it would be nice not to have to sink more money into this to get a little vacuum.

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Just tell the parts guy you're looking for a ported carb spacer.You'll need to know what carb and intake you have,as they are brand specific.If you'd like to get an idea of what they look like,go on Summit Racing or Jeggs sites.Here's one from Ebay:

1" Aluminum Carb Spacer Carburetor Pro Series Port | eBay

Notice it is of the open plenum style,that is one large open hole.Closed plenum ones would have multiple holes corresponding to the number of venturi the carb has.Search for carb spacer on the Bay to get ideas.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
LEADSLED52
Junior User
@ibuzzard!

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by LEADSLED52
So I have been looking the plates up and have only come up with ones that have an EGR port on them and I dont have that on this motor. Can I assume that this is an aftermarket or custom plate that I'm searching for. Does this plate have a specific name? I guess if at all possible it would be nice not to have to sink more money into this to get a little vacuum.

Thanks.
The vacuum port may be used for any number of things,among which is Exhaust Gas Recirculation,EGR.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 PM
LEADSLED52
Junior User
So on a side note question I guess? Would the vacuum at the spacer be greater than on the manifold? hence the reason why the shop wants me to go to the spacer by the carb.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:00 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by LEADSLED52
So on a side note question I guess? Would the vacuum at the spacer be greater than on the manifold? hence the reason why the shop wants me to go to the spacer by the carb.
I'm not the sharpest tack in the drawer, but I'd say yes,you would get a stronger vacuum signal there,as opposed to taking it from the carburetor.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
For the transmission, you want full manifold vacuum. You can't or won't have too much. The port on the back of your intake manifold is where it would have come from originally. But not the EGR valve, and definitely not from a port on the carb. In this photo, there's a vacuum "tree" at the back of the intake. That's what/where you want to come from.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

My apology to the OP,and to Wayne. I am definitely not knowledgeable about it, and was only describing to him the spacer that was recommended by his mechanic.I guess the OP could print your photo,Wayne,and show his mechanic.Hope he can get it straightened out.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM
LEADSLED52
Junior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
For the transmission, you want full manifold vacuum. You can't or won't have too much. The port on the back of your intake manifold is where it would have come from originally. But not the EGR valve, and definitely not from a port on the carb. In this photo, there's a vacuum "tree" at the back of the intake. That's what/where you want to come from.

Great that helps me alot! I was just getting confused from all the info was getting. It all seemed right and made some sense but I just was looking for confirmation!

@buzzard! You still did help alot with just replying!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 PM
LEADSLED52
Junior User
Well just an update! I took care of all the vacuum issues with this thread and it looks like it worked well!

Thanks for the help!