Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Freshman User

shepshu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Phasers or VCT solenoid??

I have 07 sscrew with 5.4. 93,000 miles. At start up truck runs perfect. After 20-30 minutes of running motor will start to start running rough at low rpm. Diesel sound. I can rev up and motor clears up and idles fine. Should I replace VCT solenoids? Or phasers? Or both at one time?? Help its driving me nuts!!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Whachuwant?

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
If you're thinking that's what it is...which is likely, then I'd start with the least expensive part first. VCT solenoids.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Freshman User

I think the same way. However, to replace VCT solenoids on an 07 you have to remove valve covers anyway. So I figured do both. I just drove it on a short errand and it sounds like a new truck. Runs perfect. Only after heating up is when it will idle bad like a diesel. Rev it up and it goes away. All good maintenance.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Freshman User

Very frustrating.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Whachuwant?

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Thinking on this more, I'm curious if a vacuum leak could attribute to this. Leaking might not form until the hose warms up and expands slightly.
Just an idea...thinking out loud here.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 05-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Freshman User

I checked all lines I could. I was thinking same thing. From what I've read on other posts it sounds like classic phaser issue, but it doesn't do it until it reaches a certain temp. I pulled oil pan and wasn't all that bad. Had engine flushed out and new oil and filter.. I know solenoids have screens in them where oil passes through. Maybe one has some debri on it. I'm probably gonna replace vct and phasers just to be safe..
Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Freshman User

Oh yea and no codes are showing up...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Elder User

70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.
Check the crankshaft endplay. They had problems with the thrust bearings in 2007 wearing out causing the crank to walk and lose oil pressure. Was there any metal in the pan when you had it off? Oil pressure at hot idle should be minimum 25psi.
Every 5.4 3V owner should have Lisle tool #65600
8L3Z-6M280-B updated VCT solenoids for 5.4 3V rattle
Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Senior User

Shawns Fords is starting off with a positive reputation.
To test for VCT noise:

1. Place the transmission in park or neutral
  2. Bring engine oil temperature to 160° F (71° C) or above as indicated by the scan tool "EOT" PID.
  3. Allow engine to idle, and determine if noise is noticeable.
  4. Set engine speed to over 1200 RPM (if noise is a VCT knock, the noise should disappear).
  5. Return engine speed to idle (verify knock returns).
If the noise intensity is more than a lightly audible knock at hot idle under 1200 RPM at engine operating temperature, replace the cam phaser

Hope that helps you figure it out
Old 05-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Junior User

mtnlovrs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Usually, the diesel noise happens for the first 2-3 seconds after start-up, then goes away. As the phasers get worse, it does as you described. Eventually, it causes the timing chains to beat the heck out of the guides, then they fall apart and clog up your oil pick-up tube. And finally, your engine self destructs! This is what happened to my truck - except for the self destruct part. The solenoids never did get replaced and are still fine and it runs good now ($2600 later). It sounds like phasers, both timing chains, gears, tensioners, guides and oil pick-up tube to me. That was my fix and Ford did all the work. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Freshman User

RAM7880 is starting off with a positive reputation.
what was the outcome,solinoid or phasers?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior User

ChrisCarter is starting off with a positive reputation.
You do not have to remove the valve covers to replace VCT Solenoids on any 5.4L 3V! If it runs fine at start up then warms up then it could be a lot of stuff, but I am leaning towards vct solenoid. Unplug and see if it runs better!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 PM
New User

NHRA3637 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have the same problem. i changed solenoids, phasers. and timing chain tensioners. 600-1000 rpm hear a tick noise then let off runs rough. give a little gas and clears up...totally confused. i unplug solenoid it runs fine
Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Freshman User

RAM7880 is starting off with a positive reputation.
is unpluging the vct solenoids an accurate test? or does it only work for a specific problem with the solenoid
Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 AM
New User

NHRA3637 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i think it's an oil leakage problem in the right cyl head. i removed both valve covers and checked for oil flow to both front cam caps. i have good flow and pressure through caps to phasers. i do notice rt cam caps bleeds more than left cam cap. not sure it's a cylinder head issue or a cam issue. by disconnecting the solenoid it keeps the oil constant to cam shaft. when solenoid is energized it changes the flow to advance or retard timing. so by disconnecting just one solenoid in goes in open loop. the truck runs fine and has power. just causes the check engine light to come on and vct won't adjust timing to control egr function. so until i have a some idea how to fix i'll just run it this way until it blows up.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2004, 2005, 54, changing, f150, ford, number, part, phasers, replacement, runs, solenoid, truck, unplugged, vct