Shift Linkage Issue on 1992 F150 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Shift Linkage Issue on 1992 F150

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Freshman User

bopfly is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shift Linkage Issue on 1992 F150

Okay, this is my son's truck. It's a '92 F150, auto trans, step side. Whenever he puts it in gear from Park everything seems fine but when he goes to put it back in Park the column shifter goes all the way to the left but not far enough to reach the Park gear on the trans. It seems like his linkage is slipping somewhere. We did get under the truck and everything at the trans looks fine. Nothing loose and nothing stripped. You can simply, manually put it in Park and you're good to go. I've never seen a shifter issue at the column but couild this be it? We tried accessing the linkage at the column but couldn't get to it. Does the steering wheel have to be reomved? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Elder User

thechief66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.thechief66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A common problem is the shift tube & plunger in the steering column. If you take off the plastic shroud around the column you should be able to inspect it-it's the part the shift handle hooks into.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Freshman User

bopfly is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, so we're able to inspect the tube and plunger but everything looks normal. What should we be looking for? We've inspected the cable and all the linkage and everything looks normal but it refuses to go into Park. Like I said in the first post - we can easily put it onto Park manually, but that's the only way. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 AM
New User

relit is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm having the same issues you;re describing, were you able to fix it? and if so what was wrong? ( also i know this thread is about five years old so sorry bringing a dead one back to life )
Old 05-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Crawl under the dash and look up the column. Look at the bracket that attaches the shift cable to the shift tube. There are two #30 Torx bolts that can loosen and cause this problem.

Click the image to open in full size.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-16-2016, 09:26 AM
New User

relit is starting off with a positive reputation.
i checked that they're not loose, took a torx to them anyway no play at all, also i've looked at the shifter tube, and i have no cracks or breaks in it. i've checked the cabled and everything i can't see any splits or anything, the only thing i have noticed is the little white piece towards the right of the wheel with the adjustment dial for where the needle on the dash is and it still works as it is but has broken off but to my knowledge that's only for the indicator and shouldn't have anything to do with where the linkage is suppossed to go? i might be wrong though, it's currently held in place with a zip tie. i can get under the turck and manually press in the piece to park with ease.