Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Injector Cleaning - The How To Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for description. I'm actually gearing up to change my plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I started reading about the injector cleaning and now I'm thinking I might try it since I'll already be doing maintenance in that area.
I recently did the pcv vacuum line reroute, and the engine IMMEDIATELY began running better. Since then Ive been kinda focusing my efforts moreso towards the motor running well.
So it seems you did it as a preventive maintenance type thing then. Thats cool, cause I know my 20 year old ones could definitely use it. I can keep the truck not running for a while, so I dont mind digging into something more intensive.
It doesnt throw any codes for the engine, I just get the CM code for the MLPS here and there. Dont have the number on me right now. Thank you!

Chris

Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
I vote for a sticky on this one ... Rated and reped ... good stuff !

Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HD
Thanks for description.

So it seems you did it as a preventive maintenance type thing then.
Chris
1.) no problem

2.) I did it b/c it seemed silly to put old clogged injectors back on my freshly rebuilt 351w...

Originally Posted by Bankrupter
I vote for a sticky on this one ... Rated and reped ... good stuff !
Not to diss the admins but.... It seems like the 80-86 thread has it more figured out.... I try to write up important "how to's" so they can be made a sticky but............well........ The admins seem to never be looking.

If I was a admin I would have made a "how to" sticky with links to all the pictorial "how to's" that I've seen and found; and also label each link for the info it contains. There are tons of great threads out there but no one has made a concerted effort to organize them for the the 87-96 crowd... Not to name names, but it seems like we have quite a few people with over 10K posts now and would've thought one of them could be made a admin in order to make stickeys for us... Then again I don't know the pre-requisites for being an admin...

Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Originally Posted by nstueve
1.) no problem

2.) I did it b/c it seemed silly to put old clogged injectors back on my freshly rebuilt 351w...

Not to diss the admins but.... It seems like the 80-86 thread has it more figured out.... I try to write up important "how to's" so they can be made a sticky but............well........ The admins seem to never be looking.

If I was a admin I would have made a "how to" sticky with links to all the pictorial "how to's" that I've seen and found; and also label each link for the info it contains. There are tons of great threads out there but no one has made a concerted effort to organize them for the the 87-96 crowd... Not to name names, but it seems like we have quite a few people with over 10K posts now and would've thought one of them could be made a admin in order to make stickeys for us... Then again I don't know the pre-requisites for being an admin...
Well I am a VB pro/hack/admin but this site has not even seen a upgrade for a bit... 3.7.5 Mods can make sticky's btw. Don't need to be a admin. Unless the powers that be have the mods locked up to be gimps mods/super mods can do almost everything in VB. An admin could make the sections for them to put it in though ... I dont volunteer nor want to be staff here unless you pay 65 a hr.. then maybe id help out lol.

Ear Staff......... whats the deal ?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Repped (Previously) and rated it just now...Definantly sticky material!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question for ya. Does just momentarily hitting the injector w/ 9V open it and it stays open, or do you need to maintain the voltage while you blow it out?

I plan on doing this to a set of injectors this weekend, prepping for my 351 swap

Old 09-09-2011, 10:54 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Honestly I'm not 100% on this. I have always used a battery hooked to the injector wire with a interupter switch. I hook up the injector, flip the switch on and blow it out, and then turn the switch off. Thats how i do it with constant power running to it but you might be able to "signal" it open and closed... not sure...

Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Rebel
Quick question for ya. Does just momentarily hitting the injector w/ 9V open it and it stays open, or do you need to maintain the voltage while you blow it out?

I plan on doing this to a set of injectors this weekend, prepping for my 351 swap

You do have to hold power to the injector to keep it open. A 9V battery should be fine. Any bigger battery with amperage could burn up the injector's coil unless you put a ballast resistor(head lamp or ignition coil ballast) in line with the injector. Most ECU's have current limiting outputs so the injector don't burn open.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
ok cool thanks.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:29 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Thanks for posting this very useful thread! reps sent...

Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
You do have to hold power to the injector to keep it open. A 9V battery should be fine. Any bigger battery with amperage could burn up the injector's coil unless you put a ballast resistor(head lamp or ignition coil ballast) in line with the injector. Most ECU's have current limiting outputs so the injector don't burn open.
I have a 1/2 spent motorcycle battery that I have been using and haven't had a problme yet, but the 9v fire alarm battery is the best way to go! I've burnt up a few injectors putting too much power to them! LOL... If need be a old 50cc moped battery is 6v I believe.

PS: I went back and edited Step: 3 so it is more clear to use a 9v or under power source and to keep constant power to the injector to keep it open. Thanks for the edits guys!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM
w6pea
Tuned
A great big Thank You

nstueve

I have been having problems with my engine running rough. I am going to try this myself maybe I can save a couple of bucks instead of making my mechanics weekly payroll for him
Thanks again.

Go Haweyes

Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Here you go, Injectors all rebuilt ready to go back in the engine, and a shot of what my soaking fluid looked like after a week of sitting... This stuff started clear!!

Photo210.jpg?t=1316404723

Photo211.jpg?t=1316404720

Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 AM
83capril
Elder User
Very good info here. I think I will have to make a trip to the Junkyard and buy a set to clean and install. Thanks for the writeup and taking your time to put in the good pics ect.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Just FYI, don't leave them soaking in B-12 Chemtool for too long. I got busy with other things and left mine soak for a week or better, it ruined them. The would not hold pressure and bled down KOEO after the cleaning.

Quick Reply: Manual Injector Cleaning - The How To Thread