6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DEF into fuel tank!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:10 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I have to tell you guys I did that twice on my 2011...I just added 911 and a gallon of Power Service Kleen and drained the filter every 10 miles for a few times..
I must of put in a few cups each time before I realized. I was in a hurry of course and in my 50 years of driving I always added snake oils to my fuels so it was a no brainer when your in a hurry to dump it into the fuel tank. Yea I took a chance..but felt lucky...and knew the additives would help.
I traded the truck in a 125K due to old age and rust etc. and it was still running strong. Never skipped a beat.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:16 AM
vdefender
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I heard from the dealer and they wanted $1100 to drain my tank and clean it. I had not started it. They also said it wouldn't be done until the end of December because they needed to order a new fuel sender unit and it was backordered. I told them no way and that I'd pick the truck up and do it myself. There is no way the fuel sender needs to get replaced. I'm going to clean it off and it will be fine.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by vdefender
So I heard from the dealer and they wanted $1100 to drain my tank and clean it. I had not started it. They also said it wouldn't be done until the end of December because they needed to order a new fuel sender unit and it was backordered. I told them no way and that I'd pick the truck up and do it myself. There is no way the fuel sender needs to get replaced. I'm going to clean it off and it will be fine.
I didn't drain my tank at all. I was out of town in Walmart..ran back in and got 911 Power service. Dumped the whole bottle in. Got a gallon of Power Service Kleen in as well. Started it up then drained the filter it a few times while it idled. Then drained it when I got home in 40 miles. Drain it again next drive to check I didn't have water.. 911 is supposed to get the water out. The additives should help it the lubication of the system until it get's worked out. Thats what must of happened to mine. I did it at 20k first time and 60 next time..sold it at 125k running fine as usual..towing,etc.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:56 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

AH, water is only one of the problems with DEF you also have urea. Both are REALLY bad for your high pressure pump. It also depends how much def you added.

From the PS on 911
"
Diesel 911 is a winter emergency use product. This Winter Rescue Formula reliquefies gelled fuel and de-ices frozen fuel-filters to restore the flow of diesel fuel to an engine. Diesel 911 does not prevent fuel gelling – use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) as a preventive measure to keep fuel from gelling. Diesel 911 and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost are compatible in diesel fuel and may be used at the same time."

Ford is being VERY carefull by replacing the fuel pickup and sending units. I think they could be clean and rinsed it in fresh diesel and would be fine. But it also shows you have careful ford wants you to be. If don't replace the pick unit it is likely ford will will void your warranty.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
I didn't drain my tank at all. I was out of town in Walmart..ran back in and got 911 Power service. Dumped the whole bottle in. Got a gallon of Power Service Kleen in as well. Started it up then drained the filter it a few times while it idled. Then drained it when I got home in 40 miles. Drain it again next drive to check I didn't have water.. 911 is supposed to get the water out. The additives should help it the lubication of the system until it get's worked out. Thats what must of happened to mine. I did it at 20k first time and 60 next time..sold it at 125k running fine as usual..towing,etc.
Glad to hear it worked for you, but that's a dangerous game of roulette with an expen$ive fuel system.

I spoke with a Power Service rep a few years ago who told me they didn't recommend their Diesel 911 product on common-rail engines because it contained alcohol and could carry water through to the HPFP. I wouldn't gamble my $10,000 fuel system to save a couple hundred bucks, that's just bad business IMHO.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:29 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Curious what color the DEF came out as when drained. In the hundreds of times I've drained a diesel fuel/water separator anything that has ever come out has been rusty colored? Wondering if in this case when it's known that it was just dumped in if it comes out separated but clear?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:39 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
This is on the 2011 6.7 I had. Not my new 2016. It won't happen now. Learned my lesson..Don't rush while servicing. I'm 67 yrs old and made my living with pickup trucks since I was 16 yrs. I'm dumped many "cocktails" into the tanks over the years hoping for the best or for gas antifreeze.. I was in a hurry and getting low on DEF and just dumped the DEF into the trucks fuel door. Simple as that.
It would of been alot more then a couple of hundred dollars to have it brought in and drained. I just couldn't believe that any water that got thru after my draining would blow the motor. Especially with Power Service dumped in big time.
I not only used 911 I used a gallon of Power Service Kleen on the spot. 1st time I used only a gallon or so of Power service as well. I have issues with my oil furnace and I dumped in 2 gallons of diesel kleen into 1/4 tank of oil. 275 gallon tank. Cleared up the issue that day. Never had once since for years now.. no service since before that as well. Good stuff Power Service.
Amount of DEF? not sure... at least a pint or so ...each time? so not much I guess or not enough Ha.
Don't know what color..didn't care..just drained a few times..on way home... I traded in and it was running fine at 125k. Those mistakes happened early on..last one being maybe 60k? so go figure.. Maybe it will tank out at 150k who knows.. I guess if it hasn't tanked out in 60k it probably won't.
I suspect know one really experimented to figure out what amount of water and over how long a time frame will destroy this system.
It was a gamble..but then again my life has had a lot of gambles...too many actually.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:48 PM
beenscrewedovr
New User

Ihave a new problem and a similar question. If this thread is not too old I willattempt to explain. I RECENTLY BOU8GHT MY 7TH FORD IN 7 YEARS. THIS TIME IDECIDED TO BUY A USED F250 PLATNIUM. It was my first time buying a diesel. Ibought used for the 1st time. I bought it from Texas direct a HUGE dealershipin Texas but not a ford dealership. I had my truck for 15 days. I drove itabout 1200 miles on a trip. I was just getting home from my trip when the waterseparator light came on. I was lost so I pulled out the manual. Read wha5t todo and watched a YouTube vid. I got underneath the truck and drained it. On theway home the light went off. I was stoked. I started the trucked the next dayand drove around the light came back on and kicked me into granny gear. I wentback underneath it to drain it again and it would barely drain and only whitemilky fluid came out. I brought it right to ford. They told me it looked like someoneput DEF fluid in my Diesel tank. I only knew the term from seeing it next to mygas spicket. I do not even know where you buy DEF fluid at this point inthe horror story. I had put 5 tanks of diesel in the truck and had it for 15days.

Icall Texas direct and tell them someone put DEF fluid in my truckthere and they say don’t worry they will fix it. (Like they know it’stheir fault) so I have them contact ford to get the truck. They call me 3 days and they say they are talking to ford about having it fixedat ford. Once ford gives them the price they call me and tell me I have put1000 miles on the truck, at some point I have to take ownership of it, and theywill not cover this. They then proceed to stop answering my calls.

Icall my insurance, the adjuster comes out. He tells me he sees this with fordsand only fords once a week and it is mechanical and they will not cover it.

SoI am now on the hook for 9600$ on a truck I bought used with 45k miles on itand owned 15 days and put 4-5 tanks of diesel in.

Theford manager tells me hell yes it was them because as l9ong as I had fuel in itthe def stayed liquid when I started getting empty tank light it started toevaporate. If I had full tanks for the whole time filling up at halfway itcould have went another week or 2.

Ihave no choice but to attempt to flush it and replace all filters because I don’thave 10 k in cash. WTF do I do. I am reporting them to lemon laws, getting aletter from 2 diesel shops, stating the status of my tanks and filter. Thengetting a lawyer. Will flushing and changing all filters work? Thetruck was running when I dropped it off just in protect mode.

Iknow everyone on here says you have to own your actions and I agree, but I HADNOTHING TO DO WITH THIS. I have an ulcer the size of a grapefruit over this

Old 10-04-2016, 05:50 PM
beenscrewedovr
New User
Ihave a new problem and a similar question. If this thread is not too old I willattempt to explain. I RECENTLY BOU8GHT MY 7TH FORD IN 7 YEARS. THIS TIME IDECIDED TO BUY A USED F250 PLATNIUM. It was my first time buying a diesel. Ibought used for the 1st time. I bought it from Texas direct a HUGE dealershipin Texas but not a ford dealership. I had my truck for 15 days. I drove itabout 1200 miles on a trip. I was just getting home from my trip when the waterseparator light came on. I was lost so I pulled out the manual. Read wha5t todo and watched a YouTube vid. I got underneath the truck and drained it. On theway home the light went off. I was stoked. I started the trucked the next dayand drove around the light came back on and kicked me into granny gear. I wentback underneath it to drain it again and it would barely drain and only whitemilky fluid came out. I brought it right to ford. They told me it looked like someoneput DEF fluid in my Diesel tank. I only knew the term from seeing it next to mygas spicket. I do not even know where you buy DEF fluid at this point inthe horror story. I had put 5 tanks of diesel in the truck and had it for 15days.

Icall Texas direct and tell them someone put DEF fluid in my truckthere and they say don’t worry they will fix it. (Like they know it’stheir fault) so I have them contact ford to get the truck. They call me 3 days and they say they are talking to ford about having it fixedat ford. Once ford gives them the price they call me and tell me I have put1000 miles on the truck, at some point I have to take ownership of it, and theywill not cover this. They then proceed to stop answering my calls.

Icall my insurance, the adjuster comes out. He tells me he sees this with fordsand only fords once a week and it is mechanical and they will not cover it.

SoI am now on the hook for 9600$ on a truck I bought used with 45k miles on itand owned 15 days and put 4-5 tanks of diesel in.

Theford manager tells me hell yes it was them because as l9ong as I had fuel in itthe def stayed liquid when I started getting empty tank light it started toevaporate. If I had full tanks for the whole time filling up at halfway itcould have went another week or 2.

Ihave no choice but to attempt to flush it and replace all filters because I don’thave 10 k in cash. WTF do I do. I am reporting them to lemon laws, getting aletter from 2 diesel shops, stating the status of my tanks and filter. Thengetting a lawyer. Will flushing and changing all filters work? Thetruck was running when I dropped it off just in protect mode.

Iknow everyone on here says you have to own your actions and I agree, but I HADNOTHING TO DO WITH THIS. I have an ulcer the size of a grapefruit over this

Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
go back to your insurance. Not just fords have the issue.

You have fuel contamination from water or something else.

Modern fuel systems for diesels do not like anything in them. It is the same for all truck makers.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Wow...really sorry to hear of the trouble. Perhaps the previous owner dumped it after making that expensive mistake. That's awful...

Wish I had some good suggestions for you, but I don't think there's a good way out of this for you. Not Ford's fault that someone contaminated the fuel, and there's a good chance it's not Texas Direct's fault either. You're the hapless owner holding the bag for someone else's mistake.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Wow...really sorry to hear of the trouble. Perhaps the previous owner dumped it after making that expensive mistake. That's awful...

Wish I had some good suggestions for you, but I don't think there's a good way out of this for you. Not Ford's fault that someone contaminated the fuel, and there's a good chance it's not Texas Direct's fault either. You're the hapless owner holding the bag for someone else's mistake.
Or sabotage.... There's little difference between water and Urea .... Was their a full analysis done?
I would venture a guess that sabotage may be covered by insurance...

Old 10-04-2016, 08:08 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Had almost the same circumstance. Insurance covered mine. Sea Foam, available cheapest @ Walmart works great. You may have the crystals blow the low pressure return line, that happened to me. That you'll need to replace. Just make sure the dealer didn't report to Ford, They did on mine, if so they'll void you 100k engine warranty w/o a proper fix. BTW, that should be around $8k @ a Ford dealer, which I had done.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:00 AM
beenscrewedovr
New User
They did not do a full analysis. How would i go back to my insurance and claim sabotage. I guess i say i didnt put it in and the dealership says they didnt. So i say that it must have been sabotage. Would that work??

70amcpwr sea foam check how much was the return line repairs. When i flush i will purchase one and run a couple diesel tanks through then replace. I have a diesel shop a friend owns willing to do a cab off flush filter replace for 1200$

Senix do you really think it could be water if it is milky white out of the seperator. Water sounds like a much easier fix

Old 10-05-2016, 07:06 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Or sabotage.... There's little difference between water and Urea .... Was their a full analysis done?
From what I read a few years ago, it's a pretty simple test to confirm the presence of DEF. Check out the attached document.

I would venture a guess that sabotage may be covered by insurance...
Yup, I know of at least one former member here on FTE who had contamination covered under insurance by the assumption of vandalism.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
67L_Fuel_System_revised.pdf (1.25 MB, 46 views)

Quick Reply: DEF into fuel tank!