Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got a 96 F250 and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:59 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just got a 96 F250 and have questions

Ok, my son just bought a 96 F250 4x2, at, 5.8 with 173,000 miles. It runs good and has some new parts. It currently has stock exhaust but it looks like the previous owner swapped the large stock cat for 2 cats welded back to back. Stock, the 2 head pipes come together at the flange then the stock cat would bolt to that making the Y into the cat... follow me? Well when they welded up these new cat(s) they beat the Y to match the inlet on the new cat(s) and welded up the seams. It's a real mess. Then it goes into the stock muffler and has 2 tail pipes out the side/rear. We're thinking of cutting the head pipes at the flange, cutting appart the 2 cats so we have 2(not 1 long one) and welding them to the head pipes for true duals then add a cpl mufflers and turn the pipes out the side before the rear tire. This has to be better than the mess that is currently on there. Going to use 2 1/4" tube. Sound like a good plan??

Second question is, this truck has SD not mass air so what mods can it handle? He is thinking free flowing air intake, long tube headers, true duals. Is there a chip avail for this truck?

With that many miles, is there anything he should check on the engine or tranny?

Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
First off, a GOOD tune up will help more than anything...

-Plugs
-Wires
-Distributor Cap & Rotary button
-Change the tranny, and rear differential fluids
Check/change the brakes (They can drag power/MPG's BAD)

And if the CEL is on, DEFINANTLY pull those codes...Search for KOEO/KOER tests on here...There are a few how-to's....

The long tubes will be good for torque...Shorty headers do well for upper rpm horsepower...

Chips are useless...Don't get caught buying that sankeoil...

A good free flowing exhaust will help...

here's what I, myself would do:

-Longtube headers

-2-1/2" exhaust

-A lumpier cam, but beware....The SD computers HATE large lift cams....It'll literally crap bricks if you start trying to run huge amounts of lift on the cam...

-Heads-GT 40's will do nicely....Port them a bit while they're off....

-Re-Gear the rear end. A 3.55/3.73 will do decently....4.10/4.11's will probably gear the truck out of the power band of the engine....You have to figure out where your truck makes the best torque/horsepower...

Other than that, not much else can be done....Oversized tires (33"+) will make it run like a dog...

What kind of tranny do you have? E4OD? (20 bolts on the tranny pan)...A shift kit will help in the fact it will deliver a LOT firmer shifts...

If its a 5spd, it's probably a ZF factory, kudo's there...
(If you have one, and have to drop it, check the synchros, and the shifter fork....They tend to wear easily....With abuse that is...)

Best of luck to you and you're son....

Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Thanks for the tips. He is picking it up as I type. It looks like it has a new distributor, wires etc. Going to change all the fluids. Looks like Pace Setter is the only company making long tube headers and they aint cheap. The front tires are worn on one edge so the front end needs to be looked at.(4x2) I will post some pics when I can.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
An alignment will cure the tire issue...about $50.....And as far as the headers go, yeah, they're expensive....

Old 05-07-2011, 02:27 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Finally had a chance to go over it and make a list of things that need attention. Wiper blades, coolant change, tie rods have some play. Lots of vac lines have been repaired, distributer is new, O2 sensor is new, cats are new. PS needs flushed. It needed an emmissions test and it passed with flying colors. Here's a couple pics. As you can see the Y is really buggered up. There is also some heavy shimmying when applying the brakes. When the a/c is on, there is a gurggling sound comming from the passenger side.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 PM
V10man
Postmaster
WooHoo got the exhaust completed. Posted in the exhaust forum here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rue-duals.html