Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Posting Guru

Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.
Magnesol = Failed Shake test

Not sure what im doing wrong here. I have 35 gal of sorta unmethed bio. I let the meth boil off for about 2 hrs. im not to sure how to tell if i get all the methanol off

But right now i have a drill connected to a concrete stirrer for buckets. its in my cone 55gal processor. i turn the drill on and add 1lbs of magnesol at a time, for me i did 6 lbs of magnesol. figured it was unmethed becuase i didnt know how much meth i actually removed.

every time i do a shake test when im done and it fails. cloudy water, milky bio. what am i doing wronge? it passes the 3/27 test perfectly. this seems to be the only thing holding me up.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Posting Guru

Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.
bump...23 views and nothin?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
I am going to venture to say that your wvo is wet, and you made a lot of soap. What was the moisture ppm of your wvo? That sure seems like a lot of Magnesol for a 35 gallon batch.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Posting Guru

No it has no water in it. It's direct from the deepfryer and pre washed with glycerin. It passed the splattered text.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Oil in a deep fryer at 360F can hold dissolved water contrary to popular belief that it 'boils out' at anything over 212F. Describe your 'splattered test'.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Posting Guru

I smear a line of oil across a pan and heat it up till it starts to smoke. then i pour about .5 inch of oil in the pan. if there is no bubbles then im good to go. if there are bubbles then i know i have water in the oil.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Posting Guru

If you are doing a glycerol prewash on your wvo, as you mentioned earlier, then you will have a whole lot of bubbles, so the hot pan test does not work to test for water because you can not differentiate water vs. methanol bubbles in the oil.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Posting Guru

Phil, from what I have gathered thus far, while I believe you have all the steps right, there are a few things within each of those steps that need fine tuning in your process. Magnesol, as great as it seems to be, is not going to be a fix-all. The reaction and conversion need to be right before it can do its thing.

Here's a link which might help you with your feedstock: Drying WVO
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Posting Guru

Alvin i do the glycerin pre wash after i do the water test. i mainly do the glyerin wash to lower the gel point.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
2000, 2006, 35, 350, benz, brakes, engine, hex, magnesol, mersedez, ml, oil, pounds, shake, shook, size, test, water