6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 runaway, recall needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Fasttrax
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 runaway, recall needed?

Today my 2005 6.0 F350 took me for a ride almost plowing into the car ahead of me. Ran like normal on aceration but I could not get it to decelerate and had to power brake, throw it in park and shut it down.

I immedietly called my dealer on the issue, it has now happened twice. The first time was after completing a pass on the highway but I assumed it was a Edge programmer at fault but it has been removed for a year now. It is now at the dealer.

Truck has 52900 miles on it, I had the turbo checked at 1,700 miles, 2 egr coolers and misc repairs since I bought it. Last EGR repair was 3000.00 at 48300 miles.-What should I do?- I could have easily killed someone today, still shaking!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:13 AM
XB70
Elder User
You've provided no information other than your truck had an Edge programmer and a couple of EGR cooler replacements.

I'll bet this thread goes a couple of pages before you provide details.

What the heck is power braking?

Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Fasttrax
Junior User
Powerbraking is holding the brakes and applying the throttle at the same time. When I finally was able to get my truck stopped I had a black mark on the pavement from it trying to break loose.

After researching everything on the Internet it points to turbo failure.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:09 AM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fasttrax
Powerbraking is holding the brakes and applying the throttle at the same time. When I finally was able to get my truck stopped I had a black mark on the pavement from it trying to break loose.

After researching everything on the Internet it points to turbo failure.
Technically, you weren't applying the throttle. I think it would have been easier to plow into an unoccupied object and then sue.

By the way, you should NEVER use the term "power braking" in the description of your failure and near accident. In court, Ford's attorneys will ask you to define power braking, if it's a drag racing term, how you know about it and how many times you've done it. Like you said, power braking involved applying the throttle and brake simultaneously, so that's what you were doing, right?

Not want you want a jury to hear.

Repeat after me. "The truck accelerated all by itself. both of my feet were on the brake and I narrowly avoided an accident."

Old 05-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Fasttrax
Junior User
I was using that term thinking others could understand easier. As far as crashing into anything it would be scary to think what a f350 with a lift and 35" tires could do to anything, including me. I thought the same. What was funny was I thought the police officer three cars back was going to pull me over for irratic driving.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
XB70- I am sure we all knew what he meant, who said he is going to court anyways?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I had no idea what he meant by power braking, but I'm going to assume he meant he was pushing on the brakes even though the truck was accelerating by itself. Perhaps we should concentrate on WHY his truck would do that, as it is not something Ford trucks are known for.

You could have an Accelerator Pedal with a bad return spring or something otherwise preventing it from returning. Get down there and make sure the pedal pops back up by itself easily. If you push on it with your hand there should be a fair bit of resistance and it should feel smooth all the way down and back up. No grabbing. It's next to impossible for the APP sensor to fail in a way that will not leave the truck defaulted to idle, so I doubt there is a problem there.

If you are sucking any sort of oil into the intake, a diesel will run by itself. That's the nature of a diesel. Check to make sure you aren't making oil (oil is way too high), or that you're not losing oil somewhere.

Have the truck scanned for codes by someone that knows how to do it and get them all. That might give you other clues.

I think in the 3 years or so I've been here, I've only seen one other person complain of a runaway, and he finally admitted he may very well have fat footed it. Foot on accelerator and brake at the same time accidentally. You might just sit in the truck and move your foot around and see where it sits on the pedals and such. You never know.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
the pedals use 3 outputs so a failure resulting in full throttle isn't possible however I guess a bad return spring or the last time this same issue was posted it was

the floor mats fault

Old 05-01-2011, 10:49 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, a few things to check would be your injectors (prob not), your piston rings and your CCV, and the turbo oil seals.

I don't know details about the 6.0 but in industrial applications oil mist slipping past the rings from the crankcase to the combustion chamber can cause a runaway situation (blocked CCV) but this is probably unlikely in our 6.0s. A blown turbo seal leaking oil into the intake will cause a runaway as well because oil and diesel fuel are very similar so in effect your turbo is pumping oil mist into the intake and your engine revs higher because it's the same as if you simply hit the gas peddle (more fuel= higher revs). So I would seriously look into your turbo and make sure your CCV is working.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Fasttrax
Junior User
When I lifted my foot from the gas pedal it accelerated and the turbo had to of kicked in. I went into panic mode and you loss track of what's going on and what to do. ***** and stand on the brakes quick.
It happened around a few years ago but I thought it was the edge programmer which was removed on EGR cooler issues afterwards. I was on a open highway and had little more time to react then. I have a family that witnessed that one.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Fasttrax
Junior User
I had the turbo in question first time I towed with it at 1,700 miles. It sounded like it was going to self destruct. Limped the truck to the dealership at 30 mph without a trailer. Again no code so the tech couldn't figure it out, the reflashed and everything was ok until the EGR went and the cooler.
4000 miles ago they replaced the head gaskets, EGR and some other stuff again, 3600 out of the bank. I have pulled every invoice on that truck to back up all the issues.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

What Zman said about floor mats will do it if it comes louse from the holder thing it will slide forward and cause the peddle to hang. I know this because happened twice to me i now have diff mats.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wulfman
What Zman said about floor mats will do it if it comes louse from the holder thing it will slide forward and cause the peddle to hang. I know this because happened twice to me i now have diff mats.
Did you have the cruise control on? Are your brakelights working?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wulfman
this also gets my vote... I drive so many trucks I hate to say who many time this happens do to incorrect matts.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Fasttrax
Junior User
I know it's not the floor mats since I keep them flipped over to stay clean and they are cut out there. I didn't have the cruise on and the brake lights I'm not sure. I was taking it for inspection and IM when all this happened.

Speaking of cruise it felt as though you hit "resume" when it took off.

Quick Reply: 6.0 runaway, recall needed?