6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I need fifth wheel help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
429martin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
My truck didn't come with the 5th wheel prep so I bought the Reese Elite underbed kit which is what Ford puts in our trucks All the bolt holes are there, but you do need to lift your bed so you better make sure your bed bolts come loose. I had to weld nuts onto 4 of mine just to get them out (Then had to replace 4 very expensive bolts).

And make sure you don't mind drilling big holes in your bed. The nice thing is the bed is dimpled where the holes get drilled but mine were hard to find because of the Line X liner I had sprayed in.

Instructions are pretty easy to follow for the install. I like the clean look and the ease of mounting this kit. Very strong and well designed. Then your hitch options are Reese Elite or B&W. If you want a different hitch such as PullRite they make their own undermount kit.

One of the things I liked the most of doing this myself was that I was able to mount my 5th wheel electrical connection where I wanted it vs. where Ford puts it - I have the cargo divider installed in my truck and that won't work where Ford puts the fifth wheel electrical.
Yeah I saw a guy on youtube,com that installed the B&W under bed mount and he didn't need to lift the bed. If the bed has to be raised then I might let the dealer do it since they quoted me $1000 for putting it in. I'll save on the hitch by buying it through craigslist or eBay.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Linkhansen
Guys, I think some are a bit pessimistic on the post. I searched online and cheapest i found hitch was for approx $950 on Amazon. I could have ordered it, and for free shipping they would have placed it on a camel's *** and would have got to me in 10 or so days. With dealer, he charges me $1000,arrives the next day, assembles it and sets it up on my truck. So any way you may look at it, I feel i came out a winner. To each his own, but everyone has to make some money. It's the way the world go round. Again, I am very happy with what i paid and the dealer, and the hitch. Dont rain on my parade!
I wasn't trying to rain on your parade brother. Just thought it was funny about the dealer claiming he was selling "at cost" which was obviously a farce. Yes your time is worth something so if you're in a hurry, then the dealer pulling from a local warehouse is worth it. I think I got mine delivered in 3-4 days from etrailer. Incidentally, if the dealer told you he "assembled it" that was another lie. They come fully assembled. Oops, there I go again.... Sorry! I just hate dealer BS.