Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1977 F-100 restoration project

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 AM
nlareau
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learn something new every day. I didn't know that. I think I did get lucky, but that's all it was: luck. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 AM
nlareau
Senior User
Busy day yesterday

Got the front windshield installed yesterday. The guys at Georgia Auto Glass showed up on time and were $75 cheaper than I could have bought it myself.

Put the rear window in myself. The rope trick works great. If you don't have one of those special window-moulding-thingy tools, use a paint can opener. That worked really well.

Stuck the hood on. It is sitting 1/2" high, not sure why. Haven't tried to figure that out yet.

Stuck the fenders on.

Then the doors

Then I put in the seats. I was pretty happy with the LMC re-upholstery kit. Spent the rest of the day trying to get the bed wood to fit. Not a lot of success there. I was worn out by 6 PM, I'd been working by myself all day. Putting an F100 hood on by yourself is no fun at all.

Put the dash metalwork and pad back in.

Stuck a couple of pieces of door molding on and called it a day.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome work, looks like it is coming along nicely. Did you take the front window/trim out yourself? How did you get the trim off?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 AM
nlareau
Senior User
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Awesome work, looks like it is coming along nicely. Did you take the front window/trim out yourself? How did you get the trim off?
The front window was cracked and the molding on the front and back was dry rotting. Pulled the old chrome strips out with small screwdrivers and then we just cut the front half off of the molding with a razor and the windows popped right out.

The back window installation was easy. I'm glad I had pro's do the front. They said it was the single widest windshield they'd ever seen. Took them 90 minutes from start to finish.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My ex-son-in-law's brother does windows for a living in Cartersville. I am thinking of getting him to come over to the house and remove the front window trim. Later, when I have finished my work, I will call him back to replace the window. If you don't mind me asking...what was the price you paid?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 AM
nlareau
Senior User
$199.95 for the glass and installation. I already had the new molding. Just buying the glass from LMC would be $260. The other local estimates I got were all in the $275 range.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 PM
nutinbutford
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
nice build! I'm restoring the same truck....77 Short box Flareside.

would you happen to have any pics of the original parking brake connections in and around the equalizer? it would be a big help. I'm putting mine back to original condition without any offshore parts. It's taken me almost 6 years to get to this point.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:23 AM
nlareau
Senior User
Originally Posted by nutinbutford
nice build! I'm restoring the same truck....77 Short box Flareside.

would you happen to have any pics of the original parking brake connections in and around the equalizer? it would be a big help. I'm putting mine back to original condition without any offshore parts. It's taken me almost 6 years to get to this point.
Can't help you there, mine is messed up too. What I do know is that the picture in the LMCtruck catalog is wrong for the F100. To my knowledge there is no lever or spring, just the 'coupler' that connects the cable from the cab to the left and right wheel cables. Both of my wheel cables are completely frozen in the 'on' position, I've had to disconnect them to free the rear wheels.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 AM
rdweathers
Senior User
Originally Posted by kobaltblue
Thats too cool...Orange peal is good with a little 800-1000 grit wet paper and alot of elbow grease!....Please tell me you didn't put the converter on the motor then put the tranny on, The pump wont be engaged and it will destroy the transmission!
That is what i thought also when i seen the torque converter on the motor.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:42 PM
nlareau
Senior User
Finally got tired of too small alternators and bad regulators. Followed the instructions I got here and did a 3G upgrade. Popped right in and worked like a charm. Electric fans pulling 40 amps and I'm still at 13 volts charging the battery.

$26 total. Wish I had done this two alternators ago.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
fantastic to see one of these kings of the road getting put back together. have a 79 ford f150 4wd flareside sitting in pieces working to get it back together. good luck and keep posting progress

Old 09-04-2011, 06:07 PM
shadow_almanza
Senior User
Originally Posted by nlareau
Finally got tired of too small alternators and bad regulators. Followed the instructions I got here and did a 3G upgrade. Popped right in and worked like a charm. Electric fans pulling 40 amps and I'm still at 13 volts charging the battery.

$26 total. Wish I had done this two alternators ago.

Which thread did you use for the 3g

Old 09-04-2011, 07:42 PM
nlareau
Senior User
Originally Posted by shadow_almanza
Which thread did you use for the 3g
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...g-upgrade.html

Works great

Old 10-01-2011, 07:28 AM
nlareau
Senior User

Don't look too closely at the grille, it still needs to get cleaned up and painted.

Still need to get the turn signals working, pull the steering wheel and get the horn fixed, and I hate to say it, I've got to drop the transmission pan, pull the valve body and fix the kickdown lever. It won't go into 3rd and I'm pretty sure this KD lever isn't supposed to flop around like it does.

But we are starting to get close. After I clean it up more, I'll post some shots of the interior. It isn't anything special, though.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:09 PM
D24x4
Senior User
Looks great - good job! Did you get your wood bed worked out? If so, do you have any photos?

Mark

Quick Reply: 1977 F-100 restoration project