Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Thing Leads to Another...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 PM
TX92F150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Thing Leads to Another...

The water pump failed on my 92 F-150 5.8 a few days ago. I'm thinking, "no big deal, just a water pump". I stop by the parts store, pick up a pump and some sealant, and I'm off to the races.

As I'm tearing the front of the engine down, I'm thinking, "I've always wanted to detail out the engine compartment". And, what better place to start than when the front-side components are removed. So, I go ahead and remove all the belt-driven accessories, brackets, Radiator, etc, etc.

I've always noticed that the P/S side of the engine is pretty completely caked with old, dried grease and dirt. So, I set off to find the source. Off comes the P/S pump, lines, etc. I determine that the pump shaft seal has been leaking, and also probably the return line on the pump. So, back to the parts store for a P/S pump seal kit and some hose. I clean, detail and break down the pump to replace all the seals and inspect. Bought all new Type F ATF for a flush and refill. Mine doesn't whine too bad, and maybe a flush/refill will make it better. If not, the next project is the E-150 Saginaw pump conversion.

I dive into several days (working off and on) of degreasing parts, the engine, chassis, and steering box and linkage (Purple Power is great stuff!). It's all cleaning up so well, that I'm really motivated by now. Off to the store to buy some Ford gray engine paint, and some black for the chassis. I decide to use rust converter on a few spots on the block and chassis, and then hit everything with the paint. The thing looks brand new, and I'm feeling good! While I'm there, I figure I may as well replace some of the normally hard-to-reach hoses, etc. So, off to the part store to grab some miscellaneous items.

By now, I'm about a week into a 4-hour project, but things are looking good. All the pulled parts look brand new, and I have the replacement parts I bought standing by. Time for re-assembly.

Step 1: bolt on the crank pulley. Looks good. Next, the water pump; get sealant on everything and start cinching it down. One more round on all the bolts, and SNAP; bust one off in the block. I'd cleaned the threads on every single bolt and hole, so I know it's not jammed up with debris. A good point to stop for the night; I pack it in and have a beer.

Next day; back to the parts store for a timing cover gasket set. Hoping I don't break anything else off chasing the broken bolt. After work, pull the dampener, and pop off the timing cover. Things look pretty good inside, but the timing chain is a little loose for my liking. Not really bad, but since I'm in there, hey, why not. I think the truck is a little doggy anyway, and the little bit of retarded timing from a slack chain isn't helping. Back to the parts store for a timing set. I love the fact that parts are soooo cheap for these trucks.

I lucked out, and was able to get a chisel on the end of the bolt stub and get it turing. It backed right out. I knew it wasn't stuck, and so it had to be a bad bolt. Sure enough, after the stub was out, I inspected it closely, and it was rusty all around the break line; it had been cracked for some time. The water pump job just finished it off. Just glad I didn't have to go through the drilling and easy-out (they're not) method.

So, again, I'm all set to button things back up. It's been almost 2 weeks now since the water pump went south. It's typical of my projects. I can never just fix what's broken and leave it at that. It always turns into a detailing project, along with "fixing" a bunch of things that aren't broken.

But, it's going to look really good when it's finished, and hopefully run a little bit better, too. With luck, I've stopped a P/S leak, and headed off a failure along the road somewhere from a blown hose. Should be back up and running by Saturday, and I'll shoot a couple of photos of the finished product.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. Does anyone else do this, or am I just nuts? Who else can't leave well enough alone on "simple" projects?

Cheers,

JD

Old 04-28-2011, 11:33 PM
skucera
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've owned British sports cars for decades, and those folks have a name for this: boatwright's disease. You see, someone goes to fix one little thing on their wooden boat, and they see something else that needs fixing, so they start fixing that too, and then they see something else, so they start fixing that, and... well, in the end they've completely built a new wooden boat that looks like an improved version of the old one, but two years have passed. Same thing happens to little English sports cars. And now, Ford trucks.

Scott

Old 04-29-2011, 12:04 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I WANT FREAKING PICS.....ASAP!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 AM
lamenytro
Senior User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
I WANT FREAKING PICS.....ASAP!
AGREED, pics or gtfo lol

Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
punkandpissed138
Senior User
some pics would be nice hahahaha, and naa, your not crazy. back when i had my chevy s-10 and i job, i went through like...$1000 of new things that started with replacing my radiator. haha, and long story short, after a year and a half of having a 92 s10 w/4.3L, it ended up being a 92 s-10 w/ a 350 5.7L that looked new!! connections are great to have. rebuilt 5.7L with a 4L60R transmission for $400!!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Originally Posted by TX92F150
Does anyone else do this, or am I just nuts? Who else can't leave well enough alone on "simple" projects?

Cheers,

JD
In the spring of '05 I began a complete rewire a '63 Ford 4000 tractor...previous owners made a complete rat's nest. Should have been a couple days' work. As I started pulling wires, I thought, "Boy, it sure would be easier if the tinwork was out of the way."

In the end, the tractor got rewired....and everything on the chassis from the transmission forward was painted, and all the sheetmetal was straightened. At one point, I thought to myself, "Jeez, I'm putting putty on a frickin' TRACTOR!"

Guess it was worth it...
Pat

Old 04-30-2011, 12:44 AM
skucera
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a good looking tractor. Your work paid off well.

Scott

Old 04-30-2011, 08:53 AM
punkandpissed138
Senior User
i'd drive it. hahaha

Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 PM
TX92F150
Senior User
Well, after a couple more days of work, everything is buttoned up, and it's back on the road. Everything I set out to do is accomplished, and it all cleaned up well, too.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only crazy one, and others go "overboard", too. I just have a hard time putting dirty parts back on one they've been off, and also can't see not replacing a few things "while I'm at it".

As far as photos, there's not much to see, guys. It's just a completely stock engine compartment; no shiny stuff or aftermarket goodies. Just clean and stock; we all know how those look. I shot a couple of photos when I had it all the way down, but we all know how a 351W looks with the timing chain off, too. Not very exciting.

Thanks for the great input and your stories; very entertaining.

Cheers,

JD

Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM
TX92F150
Senior User
I have a few pictures, but don't see how to attach them in a message. Sorry.

JD

Old 05-08-2011, 09:12 PM
5Rangers
Junior User
I have the same problem, if its apart and you don't need to drive it right away, why not go into refurbishing mode. I've had my fuel system, apart for over a month, cleaning, painting, replacing. All the while I've been into the start circuit as well. Battery, cables relay, grounds, and today the starter. Pretty soon I'll be diving into the brake system, who knows what I'll find there, the truck has existed in the land of "cobble stuff together" for years before I got it a couple months ago and actually paid good money for the mess. It'll be a darn good truck when I'm finished. Time and $$.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
this is "misewell" syndrome. although if it were me, i'd justify removing the water pump as a "misewell to do a camswap". . . .

Old 05-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 371 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
this is "misewell" syndrome. although if it were me, i'd justify removing the water pump as a "misewell to do a camswap". . . .
lol then its on to the valve springs and new valve covers.

Good to here the truck is back together and looking good again. I have teh same problem with my trucks.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TX92F150
By now, I'm about a week into a 4-hour project
Been there, done that!