6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How are these trucks getting STOLEN???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
alandeon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How are these trucks getting STOLEN???

So, How are these trucks getting STOLEN???

2Horses stated that her truck was stolen in about 3 minutes (?) probably faster.

I've heard the same thing. How does a new truck with a factory deterent get stolen in such a fast time.

What do I need to look for in order to protect my new truck?

It seems that the factory protection sucks.....

Any stories about HOW the theives get a truck started??

Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
11350KINGRANCH
Senior User
It is really easy. The door locks get punched out, so they can get in. After that, you just need to know which wires to splice for the ignition and to bypass the computer chipped key. To combat this, I installed a Ravelco plug under my dash and take the plug with me every time I get out of the truck. Here is a link to the ravelco super duty page: Ravelco - Ford Super Duty Page

Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM
alandeon
Junior User
Originally Posted by 11350KINGRANCH
It is really easy. The door locks get punched out, so they can get in. After that, you just need to know which wires to splice for the ignition and to bypass the computer chipped key. To combat this, I installed a Ravelco plug under my dash and take the plug with me every time I get out of the truck. Here is a link to the ravelco super duty page: Ravelco - Ford Super Duty Page
Thanks, I'm looking for a installer close to here (in Canada) but nobody does it in Ontario. I'll have to make an apointment in the summer when I'm close to Detroit.

I'd prefer to go to Buffalo New York to have it done but they havn'et replied to my email yet to let me know if anyone close to Buffalo or Niagara falls does it. I live much closer to there than Detroit.

I'll also be getting those lock protectors for the doors and eventually a good aftermarket multi-directional two way paging alarm system.

I'm just very surpised that they can't give me more protection for my $60,000 bucks

Old 04-28-2011, 03:30 PM
11350KINGRANCH
Senior User
Jimmi Jammers work to protect your door locks from getting punched in. There are a few threads on here about them. I also put a lock around the barrel of my tailgate to prevent it from being stolen again which is made by bully. (My tailgate was stolen off the truck after I owned it for a week)

Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to consider 2horses truck is/was a pre-'08 with out PATS, so it had no real protection at all. While the '08-up trucks are still easy to break into, they are no where as easy to steal. Most of the '08-up trucks stolen are either towed, inside jobs or done by a tech savvy thief.

The '11 Super Duty is also the first Ford vehicle to get PATS using a new 80-bit transponder technology...

Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After that, you just need to know which wires to splice for the ignition and to bypass the computer chipped key.
NO. There are no "wires to splice" to bypass PATS.
JL

Old 04-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by alandeon
So, How are these trucks getting STOLEN???

2Horses stated that her truck was stolen in about 3 minutes (?) probably faster.

I've heard the same thing. How does a new truck with a factory deterent get stolen in such a fast time.

What do I need to look for in order to protect my new truck?

It seems that the factory protection sucks.....

Any stories about HOW the theives get a truck started??
The PATS system is NOT easily defeated, and 2Horses truck DID NOT have PATS since it was built prior to '08. PATS is the only thing I'd want from the newer trucks on my '05.
JL

Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 AM
alandeon
Junior User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
The PATS system is NOT easily defeated, and 2Horses truck DID NOT have PATS since it was built prior to '08. PATS is the only thing I'd want from the newer trucks on my '05.
JL

That's good to hear but I've also heard that a bunch of 2011's have been stolen very quickly. Someone posted a video somewhere that showed some guys park behind the truck, one guy got out and 60 seconds later they were both peelling out with a new 2011.

How??

Old 04-29-2011, 08:02 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
I think I might just get a CLUB for my truck, every little bit helps...

Old 04-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by alandeon
That's good to hear but I've also heard that a bunch of 2011's have been stolen very quickly. Someone posted a video somewhere that showed some guys park behind the truck, one guy got out and 60 seconds later they were both peelling out with a new 2011.

How??
All I can say is that the aftermarket cannot reflash the PCM as of right now-it's encrypted(on the PSD anyway). The PATS data is stored in the PCM, so to defeat it, you must flash the PCM to disable it. No key, or incorrect/missing RFID=no start.
Anything is possible with electronics, so these thefts you've "heard about" may be from a group of professional theives-I can assure you it's not from some Mexicans trying to smuggle illegals into the US with a 4WD SD truck, or your general smash and grab chop shop guys.
JL

Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
To combat this, I installed a Ravelco plug under my dash and take the plug with me every time I get out of the truck. Here is a link to the ravelco super duty page: Ravelco - Ford Super Duty Page
Does the Remote Start still work with the plug removed?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Great Danes
i don't believe so. There was another thread on the Ravelco and that was brought up.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:54 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Originally Posted by Great Danes

I emailed the company and they said that tha remote start will not work with the plug removed....

Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 AM
bobert2412
Freshman User
Lakedweller is correct. Remote start will not work without the Ravelco plug in place. We run the Ravelco's on our construction equipment as well as two 2011 Fords. Even put one on my wifes' 2011 Camaro SS. It will turn over without plug, but not start. The trucks will not even turn over, they just start showing error messages. The Ravelco's wiring is mostly inside steel flex-conduit and then covered by plastic wire loom. Almost impossible to spot in engine compartment. Works great.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
and not to rag on ravelco.. great product, BUT, it takes YOU to pull the plug EVERY TIME, and take it with you. I have enough trouble with keys, phone, wallet, and the stuff I went to the store with (parts) of for (tools and parts)..

unless the plug is the size of a chapstick, its outside the scope I would take with me EVERY TIME. and if you don't take it, whats the point? where do u draw the line? overnight, shopping, movies, dinner, ?? >anything over 30 minutes? (they can steal em in less than 5)..

Sam

Quick Reply: How are these trucks getting STOLEN???