Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Elder User

deljac is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.deljac is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
jaime, great looking truck. where did you get your fender flares i love them
Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
I may not recognize this truck the next time I see you!!!! Good job Jaime!! As for a sound system, I had one installed. A subwoofer goes a long ways at enhancing the sound. I thought I would never have one until I listened to a stereo with one. Most people that have those that I heard listen to different types of music than what I listen to. Yes, a sub makes country sound much better!!! If you go and pull the doors apart and install speakers, may I suggest some sound deadening material on the door skins. I know your truck is not a diesel, but the deadening material really quiets the road noise through the doors. I had it done on my truck. All 4 doors and the floor. Primarily to make it a little quieter because of the sound of the diesel, but it really helped eliminate a lot of the road noise too! Doing the doors is the first/best place to start if that is something that interests you.

Don't know if you noticed, but I have tint on my windows. The back doors and rear window are really dark, which I like. The front door windows were done a little lighter, which I love for daytime driving, but I wish they were a little lighter for night time. Mine was done by a guy that works out of his house in Alexandria for cash money. He was very professional, probably the best guy around here. He's also the guy that put me in touch with the sound guy I went to for my stereo upgrade. If you want to save yourself some money, and don't mind doing projects yourself (which it looks like you do!!) Crutchfield sells some really good stuff.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Posting Guru

Jaime74656 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jaime74656 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
JaimeSugrue
Cool, well the Audio and tinting I may leave to the pros so its done right the first time through as I don't want to risk botching the job up, but if they let me help I will with out a question get dirty and help, but tinting is best left to people who know what they are doing

as for tint, how dark/light would you recommend for my truck, and yes I think I will get some sound deadening stuff too, least for the doors if its not there already! and no I don't think you will recognize this truck next time we meet which I hope is soon!!
): http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ct-thread.html
Currently working on: headlamps/lighting
Old 12-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
I'm not sure what numbers they go by unfortunately as for the level of tint. You could go pretty dark on the rear window and that would make it nice in the summer for sure. I know that technically, my front door windows are illegal. The back are darker than that. I would keep the door glass legal for night driving, especially if you have trouble seeing at night. Getting in a car or truck with tinted windows is a lot different when it's dark out as opposed to when it's sunny. It's not expensive to have done, but if you get the opportunity to check out a tinted vehicle from the inside, be sure to check it out when it's dark out so you have a good idea what you're getting.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Posting Guru

Jaime74656 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jaime74656 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
JaimeSugrue
ok cool, im kinda deciding between the dark stuff for the rear or the "mirrored" stuff so it can bounce more sun off the glass and make it harder to see in, and possibly lighter on the sides but same mirrored type thing, kinda like Lexus has on some of there cars, but really not sure if I would like that or not, or how good it would look on our type of trucks...but its out there and I see it on some Lexus SUVs....altho I really don't care for the "show car chit" out there either...so I may do limo black on the rear windows and what ever the darkest legal night tint is for max visibility, want to keep prying eyes out but retain the ability to see so I guess its off to auto stores to test drive different cars to see what tint they got LOL!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Posting Guru

JaimeSugrue
Quote:
Originally Posted by deljac View Post
jaime, great looking truck. where did you get your fender flares i love them

Thanks, just saw your comment today, my bad, they came with the truck when I bought it, but I think places like LMC and Lund would have them. Again thanks for the compliment, I like them my self and they are nice to have (and saved the truck from getting hit by a door from time to time LOL!!!)
Old 12-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Skipper of the KY Chapter

SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.
Wesley R. Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime74656 View Post
ok cool, im kinda deciding between the dark stuff for the rear or the "mirrored" stuff so it can bounce more sun off the glass and make it harder to see in, and possibly lighter on the sides but same mirrored type thing, kinda like Lexus has on some of there cars, but really not sure if I would like that or not, or how good it would look on our type of trucks...but its out there and I see it on some Lexus SUVs....altho I really don't care for the "show car chit" out there either...so I may do limo black on the rear windows and what ever the darkest legal night tint is for max visibility, want to keep prying eyes out but retain the ability to see so I guess its off to auto stores to test drive different cars to see what tint they got LOL!!!
Jaime....Some points to ponder on tint...

1)That chrome/reflective crap tint....Is illegal in Ky, as far as I know...I've seen VERY FEW vehicles with it on.....

2)I have 5% tint on my truck, and you've seen it in person....1 layer is DARK....I have 2 layers of 5% on my rear window.....And that is like trying to see through a welding helmet....In daylight....I got a scratch in my tint and will be redoing it with just 1 layer....2, is WAYYYYY too dark....

3)35% (Which is considerably lighter than my tint) is the legal limit in Ky, for side windows (And is a nice touch for any vehicle....In all honesty) and as for the rear window, you can go as dark as you like......I've never had an issue with the 5-0......

4)I noticed at the FTE meet in Lexington, that you wear glasses....And as a general (And not meaning anything rude, just looking at safety) And I feel the extremely dark tint, would cause you a ton of issues with visibility, etc....ESPECIALLY at night....In my truck, at night, you can't see 5ft from either side of the truck, even in GOOD light......Daytime is a lot better though....

5)The darker your tint is on the rear window, is the less you'll see as you try to back the truck up....The sides, will affect you being able to see your mirrors correctly....And causes EXCESSIVE blind spots....

6)As regards to your front window goes, on each side of the glass, about 3" from the top of the glass is a small, black mark...IIRC, it reads A_____

That is the federal mandated line for safety....Go any lower, and you can be fined for Obstruction of view....And that in turn will cause the judge to MAKE you peel the rest of the tint off.....I had mine lower....Then again, IDGAF.....

Personally man, I think 35% tint all around the windows, and about a 5-6" strip across the front (You being a shorter fellow, like me) a strip a tad farther down, will help reduce glare from oncoming traffic......

It'll run you about $100-150 depending on where you go....

I'm just tryin' to help ya out, and seeing as you live in "the 'Ville"....5-0 will be more stringent on their lienency......I live in the country, and the popo up here have tint as dark as mine...

19.31 E/T @ 68.78mph in a 1/4 mile
Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 AM

SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.
Wesley R. Cole
Audio recommendations....

First off, John.....Do NOT buy crap from Crutchfield....Their stuff is marked up SOOOOOOOO bad.....It's not even funny....$200 for a 8" sub...I think not...

Jaime-

If you're wanting a sub to add to your truck SOLELY for entertainment (Not that ghetto **** that rattles the pictures off the walls)....I'd recommend the system I have.....

A Kicker 10" sub, with a truck box, ported....And a Kicker 400x2w amplifier (This system is power matched, so it won't make your Alternator freak dead out) and it has a RMS power rating of about 150w....And for listening to music, like a normal, sane human being.....It's AWESOME...Fills the lows out, and makes movies in the truck AWESOME to watch.....

My entire system fits behind my seat, and allows the seat to be fully pushed to the back, and have no issues...

My amp (Which is about a 1ft square, by about 4" tall....Sits under my seat....Which puts EVERYTHING outta sight, gives awesome dynamic response, and isn't in the way/Open season for prying eyes....

here is the EXACT sub/box I have....And I love it...
Redirect Notice

It's a CINCH to hook up (Like 5-6 wires....)...and you'll LOVE the performance....

Hope this helps man......But seriously...THis is the best fitting sub/box for our trucks....

Old 12-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Posting Guru

JaimeSugrue
Yea, thanks Wes, I was looking at that mirrored stuff and honestly just saw a truck similar to mine (in the JY sadly) that had it on all windows and it honestly looked like chit...I don't mind it on the rear windows or if it had a design but it did the wrap around thing with the design and I just decided im going with what you have, well lighter but same type of clear tint...35% on the sides, and limo black for the rear (i have better back up lights and where I park I use the side mirrors to back in) but I will most likely leave the back at 45%

as for the 5-0 if you seen some of the really dark tint up here they let fly your truck would cry...seriously, some (not being raceist) African American guys up here who are no more then there mid 20's have tint so dark you barely see in, and its on the sides and rear of there ex police cars, and thats annoying...

oh and Wes I was looking at a system where I could fit the after market speakers/subs where the stock units were and be done with it keep that factory look so if eyes do manage to pry/turn the truck into open season they won't see the sound system, and as for the trunk thumping (buzzung) and picture falling subs, yea its fun but thats too much for me, I just want to fill out the low tones and mid/hi tones of what I listen to, I don't want to blow the trunk off the little honda chit boxes (even tho half of them here make me want to use my truck bumper to do that) and have a horridly loud/bad sounding system....remember Im a man of simplicity here, if I can keep every thing factory and good sounding I would but im getting a new head unit with sirius XM radio in it to replace the two seperate units I have in the truck, again less chance of open season here....so yea, like i said I just want a good system to fill out the low tones on the radio/CDs I listen to, nothing more or less oh and thanks, Ill look into your sound system Wes, I did like the fact it was compact, didn't get to hear it but im sure it was nice and clean

Oh Wes, heres a song that will kinda give you an idea as to the type of music, not sure if we have youtube tags or not so heres the link at least, so yea I just want the sub to better fill out the low tones for my songs as I ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aTT7hcVpN8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vTSzdnFf8U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgxothLC43I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa8oUpx8-RQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yiab6jxGz4

and other various songs, hope that helps give you an idea of most of what I have. I figure at least one or two sub speakers will help fill the low out well?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Post Fiend

Yeah, Jaime, your taste in music is a little bit different than mine!!!!!! It's all good though. Interesting thing about soundproofing your truck, it works both ways,. Not only does it make it quieter on the inside, it also keeps the sound from your stereo inside the cab much better. We go to a drive-in a couple times a year (the one in Clay City was actually showing a movie a few weeks ago as I came through one night) and they broadcast the soundtrack through the air and you use your radio to listen. You would be amazed how loud I have to turn it up with the windows down to hear it good while sitting in the bed of the truck.

The guy that did my truck, Ryan knows him too BTW, has a Mazda RX7 that has an incredible stereo in it. He has the whole thing dynamated, and with the doors and windows closed, it's amazing how little sound gets out of the car. I'm not exactly sure how loud his will go decibal wise, but he said to get 3 more decibals would require several thousand more dollars in amps. The rear glass moves a good half inch with it cranked up. I couldn't believe it didn't break!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Wesley R. Cole
Jaime...FOr your tastes...That sub/box combo...Will please you..

Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l View Post
Jaime...FOr your tastes...That sub/box combo...Will please you..
No doubt! From what I heard of his music, a sub would really kick some major butt!

But the addition of a sub to anybodys stereo system will make their music sound better.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Wesley R. Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn View Post
No doubt! From what I heard of his music, a sub would really kick some major butt!

But the addition of a sub to anybodys stereo system will make their music sound better.
John....That lil sub/box...will AMAZE you....Seriously, I recommend it for sound quality purposes....I love watchin dvd's in the truck..With that sub fillin in all the engine revs, gunshots, etc.....It's better than the theatre...

Old 12-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Posting Guru

JaimeSugrue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l View Post
John....That lil sub/box...will AMAZE you....Seriously, I recommend it for sound quality purposes....I love watchin dvd's in the truck..With that sub fillin in all the engine revs, gunshots, etc.....It's better than the theatre...

well My partner has his little Kia Rio (too small for moving things so we limit it to people and small things) but it has a decient system (and subs) in it (only good thing about it is Sirius XM radio and the sound set up) and it kicks on the low ok, its not as good as dedicated subs but its better then nothing...so I was sold on upgrading the audio of the truck, plus my driver front door speaker is toast (gave the final pop already) and the rest are slowly going out as well, and I figure since Im upgrading my speakers Im gonna upgrade the amp and since thats gonna be Alpine I figured I would also switch over the head unit which is Alpine and since I wanted XM radio I decided im gonna splurge a bit for my xmas gift to my self and get the head unit that has the xm radio intigrated with it anyways, hey might as well declutter an already cluttered truck
Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 AM

Wesley R. Cole
Jaime.....Here's some info on the Alpine subs...In case you're interested...

The primary differences are mounting depth, overall quality (and price), RMS power handling, and voice coil configuration.

Type E's are Alpine's entry level subs. They have a single voice coil and can handle up to 250 watts RMS.

Type R's are a step up in sound quality. They are DVC subs and are available with either 2 or 4 ohm voice coils. They can handle up to 500 watts RMS.

Type X's are Alpine's best subs with excellent sound quality. They are also DVC subs with either 2 or 4 ohm voice coils. They can handle up to 1,000 watts RMS.

The Type S is a "shallow" sub intended for installations where space is limited. Like the R's and X's the type S is a DVC sub with either 2 or 4 ohm voice coils. They can handle up to 300 watts RMS. They sound better than Type E's, but not quite as good as Type R's.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
150, 1995, 95, bronco, bulb, custom, f150, ford, frame, half, headlight, led, lights, main, rusted, type