1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vintique Electric Wiper Installation - 49 F-1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vintique Electric Wiper Installation - 49 F-1

Has anyone installed one of these? I just can't seem to make mine fit. If I mount it to the stock location under the dash as the instructions say it is too close to the windshield. Looks like I will have to use some kind of spacers to move it away from the windshield and then the linkage (arm) to the passenger side hits. Isn't this supposed to be a bolt-in?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM
seanmconroy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper

Vern, I have installed this kit on my old 50. The wiper kit for one wiper though. I had a tough time to install it. I remember i had to butcher my defroster vent as the instructions says. I did have a tough time getting the old vac module out so the arm goes into the wiper motor assembly.It is a tough task take your time also pull your guages out because you need the room to see what its catching on. Its a tight fit but can and will be done. Hope this helps,
sean m conroy

Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Sean

I've been working on it for two days now. Finally got it mounted and then it was making a knocking noise. Pulled it back out and now it doesn't work at all so I think the motor is a piece of junk...I'll probably just go back with vacuum.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:44 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Vern,
I am sorry to hear of your problems. I have been thinking about doing the same to my 50 F2. However I have heard alot of horror storys and now i am not so sure if I really want to change it from my vacuum that works just fine. You would think that a simple single wiper system would not be that hard to swap out the vacuum drive for an electric drive.

jim

Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Every part I have bought from vintique was crap! I avoid them like the plague ...

How about using a '52 6V wiper and voltage drop if you have 12V? At least it might fit?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
You know that is an interesting thought about using the 52. Did they have single wipers in 52??? Does anybody know if the 52 electric will bolt in place of the vacuum unit.

I have a place not to far from me that does excellent electrical work.[starters, alternators etc] I bet they could redo the 52 motor as a 12 volt motor and that would really solve some problems if it does indeed fit.

Hopefully somebody here can answer those questions...

jim

Old 04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
The old vacuum works pretty well. I rarely drive in rain anyway but thought I'd give the electric wiper a try. I had vacuum on my 48 and never had a problem with it.

As far as the 52 motor goes, the 51-52 wiper linkage was different from 48-50 but you can make it work. You have to take out the dash support brackets which are useless anyway...or you might be able to use the 52 motor with the 48-50 linkage.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Ok two things.
First does anybody have a picture of what is considered a dash support bracket. Sorry still new at this.

Does anybody know if the motor will bolt up on a single wiper vacuum unit?

If the answer is yes to both of these the next question is does anybody have a 52 electric wiper motor? I plan on trying to get it reconditioned and rewired to make it work on 12 volt. Just thought of something, I am going to need a wiper switch also....

Also for me there is no radio clearance problem as I don't have a radio.

jim

Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Jim, I have a couple of electric wiper units from the F6's I'm parting. They use a totally different mounting and linkage setup from both the earlier trucks and the vacuum units. If you want to use just one wiper, you can probably get away with using just one linkage arm from it. If you want to PM me an email address, I can get some pictures of them over the weekend and send them to you for your review.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Wayne, PM sent.

Anydody else???? I am hoping to find a workable solution to our electric wiper issues.

jim

Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
If you use the 51-52 wiper linkage setup it might be easier to use both wipers. Is there some reason you don't want your passengers to see when it's raining?

I don't know how to describe the dash support brackets. If you look up in the center of the dash about where the original radio would go you can't miss them. They would be in the way of the 51-52 linkage...

Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
f1barry
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I put in a 12v motor from one of the aftermarket folks a couple of years ago and it works fine on my 51. I don't recall any major difficuties replacing the vacuum unit. I could dig through old reciepts and find out where it came from if you want.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:13 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Always open to any information you want to share.

Vern, My F2 only has one wiper. I rainex my windshield and rarely use my wiper but when I need them i want them to work. so why does the passenger have to see?? They don't have a steering wheel or brake pedal....

jim

Old 04-29-2011, 05:01 PM
f1barry
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my conversion kit came from Boss Auto and cost about $140 in '05. Still working well and I do drive in the rain as this is my worktruck. It came with a two speed switch that replaced the vacuum switch on the dash. Barry

Old 04-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Don Rocco
Freshman User
Im a newbie and i dont know how to use this site!

Quick Reply: Vintique Electric Wiper Installation - 49 F-1